Type and Brand of Sharpeners?

This is a discussion on Type and Brand of Sharpeners? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What type and brand of sharpeners do you use? I will need something that can also sharpen serrated blades....

Thread: Type and Brand of Sharpeners?

Type and Brand of Sharpeners?

What type and brand of sharpeners do you use?
    I will need something that can also sharpen serrated blades.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

2. Remove Ads

Here are several mentioned:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...rite-best.html

I went with the Chef's Choice for the convenience, and I am a klutz. It is pretty fool-proof. It will also handle serrations.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I use the Lansky system. I added on a separate stone for serrations and a sapphire polishing hone and could not be happier.

The Lansky system is good, as is the Spyderco Sharpmaker system.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I prefer an Arkansas Stone & some light oil.
    My Dad swears by a kitchen-style diamond rod for sharpening knives, and he gets 'em pretty darn sharp... So to each his own.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    I prefer an Arkansas Stone & some light oil.
    I personally prefer the manual methods myself, I just recommend the others because it seems like it's easier for most people to get good results with a kit that sets the angles for you.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    The Warthog V-Sharp is the best thing I have found. It works. I've tried a number of good systems, but this is the only great one I have found. They also make a sharpener for serrations. Warthog Sharp
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    The Warthog V-Sharp is the best thing I have found. It works. I've tried a number of good systems, but this is the only great one I have found. They also make a sharpener for serrations. Warthog Sharp
    hadn't seen that one before...interesting.

thanks.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    hadn't seen that one before...interesting.

thanks.
    I saw it demonstrated last October at a gun show, but didn't have any funds. When I went to Tulsa in April I went looking for the dealer I knew would be there. I told my friend about it and he asked that I call him when I found the dealer. We both bought one. On Sunday I manned the dealer's table for him for a while. I got pretty good at using the Warthog. The secretary at the library just said last week that the old kitchen knife I had sharpened was the sharpest knife she had ever used. The Warthog works.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I use the EZE Lap, I have both the flat stone which is mounted on a wood block and also a convenient rod style sharpener that has a leather sheath and the rod unscrews and stores in the handle for use with the sheath and protection of the rod. I have used both of these to sharpen both plain blade and serrated blades and IMO it works very well.

Links