Here's my carry knife

This is a discussion on Here's my carry knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by stormbringerr thanks for the info,i wonder why they stopped making them. Honestly, too heavy and impractical. A few SEALs may have purchased ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here's my carry knife

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    thanks for the info,i wonder why they stopped making them.
    Honestly, too heavy and impractical. A few SEALs may have purchased them, but they were not an "issue" item. Consider: a +/- 4 pound knife hurled upward, catching on who knows what, and one is supposed to pull for catch-check, much less ascend with it? If it comes loose, you have a big sharp thingie bouncing down your way. You can use it as an anchor, but that would generally mean you wouldn't retrieve it, so... And again, its HEAVY. About 2-3 (maybe 4!!) 30 round mags worth, so not the wisest load choice.

The saw is functional, but uni-directional, single-cut, so its not the most efficient thing around. TOPs rendition is better, with canted chainsaw-like teeth.

Buck was the "first" however, and they are cool and prized by some collectors.

Edit to add: I have used one to disassemble a small building. They are sturdy!

2. Remove Ads

Heavy and impractical, definately. But they were issued to Seals for a short time. Maybe grappling hook wasn't the best term... an 'ancor' probably would have been better.

More informatin about it can be found here:
    The Buck-184 Buckmaster - The peak of survival knives!

Some highlight from the article:

"Regarding the grappling hooks, these are described it the patent which CAN BE SEEN HERE. In brief, the patent discusses the attachment of the grapples to the quillon with sufficient strength to support a load of 600 pounds and reference is made to a casting line. With this said, it is generally accepted that using the knife as a grappling hook, which implies the act of tying a rope to the pommel and throwing the knife, could be very hazardous! In fact, the last of the BUCKMASTER knives came with small flyers saying that using the knife as a grappling hook would void the warranty. A better use of these hooks are as anchor pins where knife can be wedged in some rocks or the crotch of a tree and used with a securing line off the lanyard loop attached to the hollow handle cap/pommel."

"As for the knife's production, the Buckmaster was tested by and issued to the Navy SEALs for a short time. I have read that the knurled metal handle did a number on hands while chopping; it didn't do too well in salt water tests; and it was very heavy."
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

Administrator
    The basic blade style and handle are fine.
    I would have to lose the gimmicky screw in torpedoes though.
    If it were mine I would also grind off most of the top extended tang of the guard.
    Just my personal opinion on that.
    Nice sturdy, solid looking knife though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

So let me get this straight, we can carry that here in TX? I thought the law stated 4 inch blade, rock on if I can now carry a real knife.
    Last edited by Paco; May 14th, 2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: First post sounded stupid after I read it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    So let me get this straight, we can carry that here in TX? I thought the law stated 4 inch blade, rock on if I can now carry a real knife.
    dude...Google is your friend Texas Penal Code

(6) "Illegal knife" means a:
    (A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
    (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
    (C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
    (D) bowie knife;
    (E) sword; or
    (F) spear.

(7) "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is
    capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or
    stabbing a person with the instrument.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The basic blade style and handle are fine.
    I would have to lose the gimmicky screw in torpedoes though.
    If it were mine I would also grind off most of the top extended tang of the guard.
    Just my personal opinion on that.
    Nice sturdy, solid looking knife though.
    You'd do that and completely ruin such a fine piece of workmanship? The knife is a collector's piece. I could see doing that with a $20 replica but not an original.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links