Closing a Spyderco one handed

This is a discussion on Closing a Spyderco one handed within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got me a Spyderco Native folder. I have been carrying a Benchmade with the Axis lock. What is the best way to close ...

Thread: Closing a Spyderco one handed

Closing a Spyderco one handed

I just got me a Spyderco Native folder. I have been carrying a Benchmade with the Axis lock. What is the best way to close a Spyderco one handed. It has the hole in the blade.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

2. Remove Ads

I just press the lock and give the knife a gentle downward flick. The blade will move enough to disengage the lock and you can then close it with you thumb. The native has a choil (unsharpened portion of the blade right in front of the handle) that will keep the blade from contacting your fingers even if you get a little too frisky with it.

Great knife BTW!

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Funny, I've carried a Spyderco on and off (mostly on) since the 1980's. I just recently "bothered" to learn how to close it one handed (without bumping the back of the blade on my thigh, which is how I closed it for years).

Pretty much as above, I hold the knife and depress the lock with my index finger near the blade (Endura usually in my case, though I have a Native and others). I let gravity drop the blade, catch it with my index finger on the choil, and finish with the thumb in the hole (or back of the blade).

Really like Spyderco's. But when I went to work in Iraq, I bought a Benchmade Griptillian. Got very used to that Axis lock, very cool and switchblade fast (open and close). Very nice!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I have carried a mini griptilian for years. Decided to try the Spyderco. I like them both, the Spidy is alot slimmer. I really like the blade on the Native....very Beefy!!!

That closing method works real good. A couple nice features on this knife....the Choil is a nice feature and saves the fingers. Neat Knife!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    I just press the lock and give the knife a gentle downward flick. The blade will move enough to disengage the lock and you can then close it with you thumb. The native has a choil (unsharpened portion of the blade right in front of the handle) that will keep the blade from contacting your fingers even if you get a little too frisky with it.

Great knife BTW!
    That's how I close my Native III too

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Great knife BTW!
    that's the way I've always closed my spydercos, in fact, I'll deliberately let the choil hit my finger so that I know without looking that it is in fact ready to be closed.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Links