SOG Twitch 2 knife (assisted open lock back)

This is a discussion on SOG Twitch 2 knife (assisted open lock back) within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; YouTube - SOG Twitch II Review MSRP is $70 - I picked it up at Lowes for $40, not on sale or anything. The blades ...

Thread: SOG Twitch 2 knife (assisted open lock back)

SOG Twitch 2 knife (assisted open lock back)

YouTube - SOG Twitch II Review

MSRP is $70 - I picked it up at Lowes for $40, not on sale or anything.

The blades a bit under 3" long, the knife is THIN, locks up incredibly strong, and opens incredibly fast. I temporarily took the pocket clip off of mine, and I permanently removed the secondary lock (the gap you see behind the lock on the back of the knife). The secondary lock will keep the blade from opening, or it will keep the lock from being deactivated and the blade closed while in use.

The reason why - I was stupid and took the knife apart while at work (first assisted opener). There's a really freaking small detent ball and spring that flew to no-mans-land, so the secondary lock is gone. I'm not concerned about it, as the actual lock that keeps the blade locked is still there and working like a champ. The pocket clip didn't make it on due to time constraints at work, and that I don't have a T6 Tor bit to put it on now at the house. DO NOT TAKE APART YOUR ASSISTED OPENER UNLESS YOU WANT A MASSIVE HEADACHE.

The blade is stainless AUS-8 that's been chryo-treated for it's tempering and heat treatment. The interesting thing is that this is the same blade material and has the same hardness as my old CRKT M16 blade, yet will hold a much sharper edge for much longer. Amazing what a difference in tempering will do for an edge.

The blade is a cinch to open at light speeds using either the thumb studs or the flipper, strong or weak handed. I would highly recommended keeping the pocket clip on the knife (which carries it point up) even if you don't use it. The clip allows a better purchase on the otherwise slick aluminum handles.

All I've done to this knife is polish the blade, and shortened the assist spring a smidge (not recommended - not worth the hassle for the small gain and headaches getting it to stay just right afterwards). I'm sold on the SOG knives, and am now looking between a SOG Flash (the bigone) and a SOG Trident for the next knife in a few months.

slim profile, uses an actual lockback. Nice change compared to a liner lock.

Look ma, no liner lock! If you haven't caught on yet...I really hate liner locks.

Knife fully open, ready to take out some statistics.

About how far you have to take the blade out before the knife takes over. You can adjust how hard or easy this operation is by loosening the nut that the blade pivots about. If you do this, take the nut completely off and put some blue locktite on it, and have fun re-assembling (takes a few tries to get the trick down ;) ). The reason why is because after a bit of time of using the action, the nut slowly tightens itself, and soon it's not an assisted opener any more. 1/8-1/4 of a turn and it's back in business again. The locktite will keep the nut at your preferred resistance.

The bladeprofile, and locking setup. The notch at the top is what the lock locks into - completely. It's a very solid lockup, especially for a lockback under $100 (by a lot). The bottom notch is radiused and provides the initial resistance that keeps the blade from opening in your pocket, but it's easy to overcome when you want to use the knife.

All in all, considering this is the most expensive knife I've ever purchased, and the fact that it doesn't have a liner lock, isn't made of junk soft steel, and is my first assisted opener, I'm gonna have to give it a 4 out of 5 stars. It would have had 5 stars if it was free :D

So....who wants to donate a Benchmate or Emerson to the cause? :)
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

2. Remove Ads

nice knife...I share your disdain of liner-locks.

SOG makes some nice AO's. A buddy of mine has the Flash and it's okay. I got to play with a Trident the other day and was pretty impressed (which takes a lot)... I might have to get one.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Thanks for the review - I just went to Lowes and bought one - Thanks again !!!

Quote Originally Posted by 762BY39 View Post
    Thanks for the review - I just went to Lowes and bought one - Thanks again !!!
    Hope you enjoy it.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

I picked up the Flash II, also at Lowes. It was only $30. Like the Twitch, it uses assisted opening. I made a video here:

Links