Advice needed

This is a discussion on Advice needed within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A Friend of mine will be graduating from the Police Academy soon and I want to get him a nice folding knife for duty carry. ...

Thread: Advice needed

V8 [OP]

Advice needed

A Friend of mine will be graduating from the Police Academy soon and I want to get him a nice folding knife for duty carry. I have have been looking for a while and so far I like the Cold Steel Recon 1. RECON 1
    I have yet to handle one though. I have however looked at several SOG knives and found them to feel very cheap in comparison to my 11 year old Benchmade CQC7 and I have completely decided against any SOG made knife. Sorry to all the SOG owners out there.
    The price range I need to stay in is right at $100.00.
    Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'm a Benchmade kinda guy, but I bought a Spyderco for work about a year ago... its served me very well. It wasnt very expensive, holds an edge well and I can move the clip anyway needed for proper draw.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm a Benchmade kinda guy, but I bought a Spyderco for work about a year ago... its served me very well. It wasnt very expensive, holds an edge well and I can move the clip anyway needed for proper draw.
    Benchmade - which ones?
    Spyderco - which ones?
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Benchmade griptilian,
    Spyderco endura or delica with Wave feature,
    CKRT's are popular among the Marines here.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

An Emerson Mini-Commander is my EDC. It's a tough llittle bugger and nothing is faster on the draw than a waved knife.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    Benchmade - which ones?
    Spyderco - which ones?
    I like the Osborne series of Benchmades, and the Spyderco is a endura.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Osborne's are nice, but just a touch out of your price range, nothin wrong with a good old griptilian though. I tend to shy away from SOG, just don't really like your stuff. Emerson's are probably also out of your price range.

How about the Boker Wagner?

New Graham Knives - Detail
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Don't forget about the 'bay. You can sometime find great deals on NIB Benchmades and other brands for around what you're wanting to spend.
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Not to rain on anyone's parade, but a carry knife is a pretty personal decision. I've carried a knife since I can remember, and it's always been one I picked out myself. I think there has been one pocketknife I've carried that was a gift, and it took me about 2 years to warm up to it for EDC.

If you want to buy him a nice knife, I think that's a great idea, and knives can make great gifts. But for one to actually carry and use on a daily basis, I know I'd want to choose it myself, just because there are so many choices and everyone's tastes will be a bit different.

So, with that said, to throw my hat into the ring, the Gerber Covert Folder is a solid knife with a good secondary lock that is very natural to engage. It's on the large side, but very managable. If you shop around, they can be had for $70-80
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

That is a great point Bob. I don't attach any extras to my flak that I don't choose for myself or have some influence in (my dad was smart enough to get me a Surefire 6P LED for x-mas last year, which I didn't ask for and still carry though.)
    I went through tons of choices before I found my big fixed blade fighting knife I carry (No, I'm not a mall ninja, just a grunt).

That being said, I'm just putting up suggestions of good knives that I see carried a bit or would carry.

Any of the Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn knives, which the covert is one of, is a good choice as well.

Another thing to consider, I don't know about auto knives in MO, but in a lot of states LE and military can buy and carry them. If he is interested in an auto you could give him the cash and he could use it for one, not quite the same as the actual gift, but something to consider.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I just bought a Spyderco Native III. Great knife. I like it so much I ordered a spare.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

I have had a Spyderco Police for about ten years and can attest that it is one rugged tool. I also have police friends who carry the knife and swear by it. The pic shows a completely serrated blade but the knife can be purchased with a variety of blade combos. Also, it will come just a bit under $100.00.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Links