Assisted opener= switchblade???

This is a discussion on Assisted opener= switchblade??? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know i is illeagal to carry a switchblade in florida (not sure if you can with a concealed carry permit). My question is does ...

Thread: Assisted opener= switchblade???

I know i is illeagal to carry a switchblade in florida (not sure if you can with a concealed carry permit). My question is does an assisted opener knife qualify as a switchblade? I wouldn't think so because by deffinition it says it isn't.

Lead Moderator
    I would suggest researching your states laws. I found here in MI we can carry , but they specifically have a law defining assisted opener definition compared to auto knife.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Here in Ohio they are two different things - knife laws are just as wierd state to state as gun laws, so check with FL laws.

Remember that many, such as the SOG Twitch series, will allow you to simply remove the assist spring.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

As with so many other things, it depends. Some localities have designated them as automatics or switchblades, although technically they aren't. Don't take this as legal advice, but I've found that as long as you're low key with your knife carry, you usually won't have a problem. I have a Kershaw with a switch to turn the assisted opening on and off. I keep it on most of the time, but if necessary I can turn it off.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Or you could get around the "wordsmithing" of the law and go with something like the Spyderco Delica or Endura with Emerson's Wave.

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    I know i is illeagal to carry a switchblade in florida (not sure if you can with a concealed carry permit). My question is does an assisted opener knife qualify as a switchblade? I wouldn't think so because by deffinition it says it isn't.
    Ok.....here goes. In FL, it's not illegal to own a switchblade or an assisted opening knife, or just about any other weapon that you want. But without a ccw though, it's illegal to carry concealed, on or about your person anything other than an "ordinary pocket knife". The definition of "ordinary pocket knife" is somewhat vague and ambiguous, but switchblades clearly are not, and most assisted openers could easily get you into trouble too......as could anything that looks tactical.

The good news......with a ccw, you can carry and conceal just about any weapon you desire, including automatic knives (switchblades), assisted opening knives, swords, guns, batons, tactical nuclear devices......well ok, not those, but just about anything else.

My recommendation would be to get the ccw and be done with it. I see you're a student......so if you don't meet the age requirement for the ccw yet, a Spyderco delica or endura or something similar with a blade less than 4" will keep you out of trouble.

According to the Federal (commerce)definition, assisted openers are not switchblades. Maryland, and at least one other state do classify them as such, though.

I got 3 months till Im of age then Im good to go. Thanks all. Thankd David, I thought that was the case but wanted to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    I got 3 months till Im of age then Im good to go. Thanks all. Thankd David, I thought that was the case but wanted to make sure.
    No problemo. If I can offer one other suggestion. While you're waiting for those 3 months to pass, pick up a copy of Jon Gutmacher's book, Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership.

Florida Firearms -- Law, Use & Ownership BOOK FOR SALE by Author JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq.

Jon's a firearms and weapons law attorney and his book, now in the 6th edition is pretty much the bible for firearm and weapons related law in the state of Florida. Good reading and it'll help you prepare that happy day.

Stay safe.

will do. thanx

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    No problemo. If I can offer one other suggestion. While you're waiting for those 3 months to pass, pick up a copy of Jon Gutmacher's book, Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership.

Florida Firearms -- Law, Use & Ownership BOOK FOR SALE by Author JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq.

Jon's a firearms and weapons law attorney and his book, now in the 6th edition is pretty much the bible for firearm and weapons related law in the state of Florida. Good reading and it'll help you prepare that happy day.

Stay safe.
    Word. Yep, they are legal, with some restrictions (or course).
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Sponsored Links