Thoughts about ZT Knives..

This is a discussion on Thoughts about ZT Knives.. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any feedback here guys? I saw them today..a little pricey..but very cool looking, and was wondering if I could get some input before I pull ...

Thread: Thoughts about ZT Knives..

Thoughts about ZT Knives..

Any feedback here guys? I saw them today..a little pricey..but very cool looking, and was wondering if I could get some input before I pull the trigger... Thanks..here's a link..

ZT - Zero Tolerence knives Assisted Folders

Thanks again in advance..

2. Remove Ads

I've heard decent reviews on them, I'd just advise you to stay away from the models with a liner-lock.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    I've heard decent reviews on them, I'd just advise you to stay away from the models with a liner-lock.
    Please explain why stay away from Liner-locks. I'm somewhat a noob..have always just carried an Academy special Kershaw...The locking ones seem the coolest..have the nicest shape blades, and most aggressive looking. They're actually way lighter than the bigger ones on the same link...
    I don't try anything...I just do it!

I have a special affinity for ZT knives... Made in USA, built like a tank, and a portion of the proceeds is donated to the Paralyzed Veterans of America. What isn't there to like, except maybe the liner locks on the folders and the price? Well, the price can be dismissed with proceeds going to PVA. As for the liner locks, maybe KenpoTex can chime in since his experience vastly exceeds mine, but I feel the liner-locks are pretty beefy and safe.

Here's a pic of the ZT 0200 (my personal ZT favorite) showing the engaged liner lock.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
    I have a special affinity for ZT knives... Made in USA, built like a tank, and a portion of the proceeds is donated to the Paralyzed Veterans of America. What isn't there to like, except maybe the liner locks on the folders and the price? Well, the price can be dismissed with proceeds going to PVA. As for the liner locks, maybe KenpoTex can chime in since his experience vastly exceeds mine, but I feel the liner-locks are pretty beefy and safe.

Here's a pic of the ZT 0200 (my personal ZT favorite) showing the engaged liner lock.

Yeah.. I like the 0400ST...and am considering it...and beefy they are..

Liner-locks can be fine IF they're done correctly.

However, EVERY knife I have ever owned with a liner-lock (from a $20 S&W to a $200 dollar Cammillus and others including Kershaw and CRKT) has failed prematurely. The ONLY knife with a liner-lock that I would personally recommend would be the CRKT's equipped with the LAWKS, or even better, the auto-LAWKS feature as a backup (I think it says something when they have to have a lock to make sure the lock doesn't disengage but that's just me).
    All I know is that I never plan to buy another liner-lock knife.

I would go with one of the Frame-lock models...its operation is similar to the liner-lock but is, IMO, stronger and more reliable.

just my $0.02
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

No personal experience with ZT's but I haven't heard anything bad about them either.

Since you're looking at higher end knives, I'd recommend that you at least consider a Chris Reeve Sebenza. Many think that it's the knife that sets the standard these days for high quality, bullet proof, folders.....

Some examples here:

Chris Reeve Knives - Sebenza Knife

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    Liner-locks can be fine IF they're done correctly.
    To expand on that: if the liner sits too high in relation to the scale (handle surface) it will be partially or fully disengaged by a twisting or wrenching motion. This can be corrected by taking a Dremel grinding wheel and a 30 LPI file to the lock tab, and lowering it to the point where you really have to get some thumbnail/finger down to disengage the lock.

Kershaw's Boa is, for my hand at least, perfect. It also doesn't have the lugnut Kershaw uses on the ZT line. Blech!

I am also not a fan of liner locks. I would opt for a frame lock or an axis lock. For a knife similar to the ZT but with a frame lock, I would consider a Benchmade Skirmish or Mini Skirmish. Solid... and beautiful. However, I must admit that the Skirmish does not have the grippy scales of the ZT and they are not assisted opening. Check out the Skirmish, but in the end, get the knife that YOU like.

You may like the Kershaw Ken Onion Tyrade. It's a little overly styled but it is, I believe, a frame lock and assisted opening. I have not seen or handled one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    To expand on that: if the liner sits too high in relation to the scale (handle surface) it will be partially or fully disengaged by a twisting or wrenching motion. This can be corrected by taking a Dremel grinding wheel and a 30 LPI file to the lock tab, and lowering it to the point where you really have to get some thumbnail/finger down to disengage the lock.

Kershaw's Boa is, for my hand at least, perfect. It also doesn't have the lugnut Kershaw uses on the ZT line. Blech!

Yeah..I have rather LARGE hands..so I need something on the bigger and heavier side. That Boa is a nice knife though...

The liner sits right in line with the knife handle. Sits pretty much flush, so you have to basically dig it out but it's grooved so it makes it easy enough.

I'm sure there will be some disagreement since Mick Strider is a polarizing figure, but since 2 of those ZT designs are Strider collaborations, you should also consider a Strider knife. http://www.striderknives.com

Pricey, but built like a tank.

Good description of one of the problems common with liner-locks.

Matt K.

Love ZT!

I own a 0200, two 0300's and a 0302. The 0302 is in my pocket as I type.

IMHO the ZT 0300 series is the best Assisted Folder value going today. You can get them for $200 - $240 street and the Speedsafe system and the knife overall totally rocks. I have over 50 knives and I reach for a ZT 0300 series almost everyday unless I need to go lighter for summer clothes then I usually grab my Kershaw Boa. As far as manual folders go I can't see how you can get any better than the 0200 in the $120 range, give or take.

I paid no more than $210 for either of my 0300 series knives. You get S30V steel, a solid titanium monolock (the entire scale is the liner lock)scale on the liner lock side and your choice of three G10 colors on the other scale.

IMHO, if there is a downside, it's that they aren't small . . .

Just my .02 cents.
    U.S Navy Veteran - CTT - Naval Security Group
    XD9SC, EAA Witness (Tangfolio) Elite Match .45
    Taurus PT1911, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Fulton Armory FAR-15 Predator, Savage 93R17 B
    Remington 870 18" 7+1
    Too many knives to list

Links