Ka-Bar Warthog

Ka-Bar Warthog

This is a discussion on Ka-Bar Warthog within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Doesn't look like a bad knife. From what I've heard, Ka-Bar is a pretty good company. Think this will get the job done? Specifications/features: Ka-Bar ...

Thread: Ka-Bar Warthog

Ka-Bar Warthog

Doesn't look like a bad knife. From what I've heard, Ka-Bar is a pretty good company. Think this will get the job done?

Specifications/features:
    Ka-Bar Warthog folding knife
    3-1/16" partially serrated Tanto blade
    7-1/2" overall
    15-degree edge, hollow grind
    DIN 1.4116 stainless steel, 56-58 HRC
    Liner lock
    G10 handle
    Pocket clip
    Limited lifetime warranty

Do you have any other suggestions? I've not found many that I'm too crazy about. Can anyone suggest a good assisted open?

While Ka-Bar has a great name in the knife world, I wouldn't buy this one since it has a liner-lock. Also, the low-price and the fact that it's made in China make me a little skeptical as to the overall quality of the knife.

For a good solid knife that won't break the bank, take a look at either the Cold Steels (Voyager, Recon-1, Gunsite) or the Spyderco Endura or Delica.

For a good assissted opener, look at the SOG's (either the Trident or Flash), there have been a few recent threads on these knives.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Agreed. Might be better to just get a good one. This might have been answered, but does the SOG flashII lock open once opened or is the weight of the spring the only thing keeping it open? Cant find that info on their site.

it locks...that's what the sliding tab near the spine is for (and the smaller one, closer to the butt of the knife is the safety).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

ordering a SOG FLASH II 2 TiNi 1/2 SERRATED now :D
    Thanks for the input.

The only three things I wish they would modify on the Flash 2 series:

Use some hardened steel liners
    -At the moment, the blade binds between the piston lock and a steel pin - which is retained by the plastic grips. It'd just be nice to have the extra bit of strength and durability.

Move the secondary lock forward and up, only about 1/8th of an inch is needed
    -I carry the knife on my left side, and if the secondary lock is depressed with the clip on the same side as that safety, it's a pain to get up under it to take it off. Move it forward and up, away from the clip, and you won't have that problem

Allow the secondary lock to activate with the blade actuated
    -I know this won't happen - it would mandate a redesign of the knife, and it works excellent as is for daily use and moderate defensive situations. I wouldn't recommend it for a really hard user, mainly due to the lack of liners, and especially if the end user was carrying it on the left side.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Links