Serrated or plain blade

Serrated or plain blade

This is a discussion on Serrated or plain blade within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For a self defense knive only which is the best blade? Why? Thanks...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Serrated or plain blade

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

Serrated or plain blade

For a self defense knive only which is the best blade? Why?

Thanks

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I'd go with a blade that has both. Serated much harder to sharpen but if you have to cut through a deat belt or rope in an emergency it will do the job much better even when dull.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Senior Moderator
    A serrated blade is absolutely devastating on flesh and muscle.

Having seen numerous cuts on people with both...I'd rather not get cut, but if I had my choice,it would be with an unserrated blade.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

This knive would be carried alot and hopfully never used. I would have another one for daily use.

The knive I am thinking about buying is the KaBar TDI

I have a KaBar TDI - and it's not serrated. I only have one knife with serrations, and it's partial. The plain edge is incredibly sharp on it. I tend to carry it on weekends when I'm not working - no blades are allowed on campus properties by policy. For those days, I "do not carry" a blade, I have a very very sharp tool with AUS-8 or better steel, which will take a very shallow angle for defensive uses.

The reason why - on loose clothing, serrations tend to catch much more often than a plain edge. It's also incredibly easy for me to get a razor edge on a plain edge.

That will let the blade cut much better through clothing and more or less as well as the depth of the cut into flesh/etc.

I personally have no problem with a serrated blade for self defense if I'm using it - provided it is 50% or less of the blade length, and that the serrations are close to the handle.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

I prefer a plain-edge but I also keep my knives razor sharp. For people that don't know how to sharpen a knife, a 50/50 blade would probably be better.

Serrations are excellent for doing a lot of heavy cutting (rope, strap, webbing, etc.) but I find that they tend to "rip" instead of cutting cleanly. And, as someone else mentioned, the tend to snag.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

From attending two tactical folding knife courses:

The recommendations were to carry a simple strong folder with a positive locking 3" blade, NO serrations, drop point "triangular" shaped blade with a large hole to open with your thumb, pocket clip optional, i.e. Spiderco Delica.

All military tactical blades throughout history are straight blades for, easy in, easy out, easy sharpen.

No smooth metal handle that get slippery with blood (the consistency of honey) or sweat, a thrust that hits bone would allow your hand to slide up the handle to the blade.

Grip knife with blade IN. You are stronger pulling than pushing, predators have their claws in, not out.

FWIW

Thanks guys for all the info. I made the purchase of a Kabar TDI plain blade right or wrong it is on its way.

My strong-side pocket has the Kershaw Leek...smooth edge, and razor sharp.
    My weak-side has the new KA-BAR TDI (just got it)...half and half...so I guess I have it all covered...

If I had only one...I'd take the smooth edge!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Agreed.

I have three TDIs the LEO which is fully serrated and the large sized variant which is half & half, and a blunt edge trainer.
    I'd selected the serrated because I don't live in Hawaii where potential attackers are likely to be wearing nothing but skin and light outer clothing. In my travel four seasons the predators tend to wear clothing and layers of it even during summer. As such I want maximum soft armor penetration/tearing capability with ability to beyond that with ease cut into if not slice through skin and muscle.

BTW predators in water employ serrated edge teeth as well as serrated barbs.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I believe Hotguns said it all, thats why I carry a Spyderco ATR fully serrated. I also carry a Swiss Army knife for the utility type jobs.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Good point Cap'n...I forgot to mention none of my defensive knives see any use, and thus never go dull.

If I need to cut cord or boxes down I have box cutters and scissors for that. To open mail I use a letter opener and for packages with plastic outer covering I use the rough edge of a key.

A defensive knife is not a GP utility knife.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator
    BTW predators in water employ serrated edge teeth as well as serrated barbs.
    Good point.
    A sharks teeth are serrated and they seem to do an exellent job.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Bingo!!!
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    From attending two tactical folding knife courses:
    Just out of curiosity, who taught these classes?
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links