HAK Knives

This is a discussion on HAK Knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this has been discussed before i would just like to get a up-date on this little knife from everyone. The more i think ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HAK Knives

HAK Knives

I know this has been discussed before i would just like to get a up-date on this little knife from everyone. The more i think about it, the more i like this concept. I am not a knife guy. Oh sure, hunting knife,got one. A carry folder,got one. Do i really know how to use one in a self defensive situation,probably not.The more research on this and the more i think it thru i keep coming up with this:When will i need a knife,when i can't get to my gun.Why can't i get to my gun,because i may have some gorilla all over me and i need to get seperation so i can get to my gun.Ok so why don't you whip out this nice folder you carry?Mainly because i have got this somebody all over me and he isn't playing fair and allowing me to get my folder deployed
    Anyways, the more i look at this knife, the more i think this is the way to go. I just would like some feed back from everyone on this knife. I want pro's and con's. Best places to carry this knife for fast deployment. Best type of blade design for Self Defense.
    Look forward to everyone replies.

2. Remove Ads

Question Clarify?

I take you're talking about the Hideaway knife?

Thumbs up

I am not a "knive guy" either.
    I have one and I really like it. When I read about them on their website, I did not really care for the necklace mode of carry (it comes with it), but now that I have it, that's the way I normally carry it. Pretty fast to get it into action if your shirt is untucked.
    I sometimes spot-tie the sheath to my strong side front belt loop (under the loop, on top of the belt) and that is even faster to get into action.
    I especially like it in situations where I cannot carry my pistol, which is most of the day since I work on a military installation.
    I got the standard $69 one and wrapped it with paracord.
    Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

I have two (Brock Curvy, and Strider Hybrid), and will buy at least one more (Claw variant, of some sort). S30V- excellent edge retention; the hybrid is one of my EDC's and is used for everything from opening mail, to animal feed sacks, to cans of grapefruit juice, to prying things open. Extremely durable, and very comfortable to use. (The $69 Utility is a bargain, and you aren't any worse off than if you tried the Spot, La Griffe, etc., as they are all in the same ball park. If you really like it, you'll probably up your ante, and get one of the customs, eventually.)

As far as the SD use, it's caveman simple: grab-n-stab.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    I have a Ken Brock Ti Hideaway knife. I've discussed it here before, but not for a while.

I've stopped carrying anything else edged. It's just sort of the most utilitarian carry knife I have. And it's cute and not too threatening.

I carry mine with a "rip-cord" attached to my trousers ahead of my weak hand side. I tuck the sheath into my beltline just under my weak arm (at 3:00 - I'm a lefty). I tuck it down far enough that the top of the knife's handle is just even with the top of my trousers. I find that the knife is completely invisible this way (and the only part visible on the sheath is the claw attached to my pants, just a head of my hip - generally covered by the natural blousing of my shirt). I can hook my fingers into the HAK and draw it with no problem, in an instant. (There! I just did it to practice.) Although a lot of the knowledgeable folks talking up Clinch Picks and such recommend centerline carry, I'm a big fan of side carry - if the knife somehow blasts through the kydex sheath, say - in a car wreck (unlikely, I know . . . ), it won't cut through my intestines or . . . anything more important.

The brilliantly designed "finger capsule" of the HAK means that the overall length is quite short, but that the knife is stable beyond belief in your hand for use. The shortness of the knife aids in concealment, and the finger capsule design enables a from-concealment draw that's fast and secure.

I've trained a bit with the HAK trainers (courtesy of my neighbor, Lee Aldridge of Reality Based Fighting Concepts) and find that the HAK is simple and natural to use in a fight. And, believe me, in a fight you want simple. It's also pretty much impossible to drop - a real plus. I would recommend getting a trainer, though - you REALLY don't want to mess around training with the scary-sharp knives themselves! Southnarc's DVD is good, too.

One thing I particularly appreciate about the HAK is that it does not preclude me drawing and using a firearm while leaving the knife mounted on my hand, ready for action. (I keep my HAK on my weak hand side, but it works either way.)

The Hideaways are not inexpensive, but I've found mine to be a superb value. It's the first thing I put on when I dress in the morning, and the last thing I take off when I get undressed in the evening. It weighs nothing (I'd really recommend the Ti HAK - I'm amazed at how terrific mine has proven to be - well worth the extra $), but it's always there if I should need it.

There are not many products that I would totally recommend, but this is one of them. Front Site did a brilliant job on the design - it's just ground-breaking.

OMG Sharp Phil is here!

HAKs are awesome. I have one under my coat collar for work, one under my shirt collar, one around my neck, and a few zip tied in several places in my car.

Worth every penny.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Thanks guys for the input. I feel like this is the way for me to go.I think i will try out the Utility version first and if i like it, Uh oh look out pocket book.

Good plan. I have ons Strider one. But there was a LONG wait for it because of all the orders. The rest of mine are the utility versions.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

I have a Ti one on order. It will be my 'never take off' blade
    /***********
    Phill
    ************/

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate"
    William of Ockham (ca. 1285-1349)

Wink

"Out in the fields, a man should never be parted from his weapons . . . "

Hey fellows my HAK Utility has been shipped. I am getting excited,can't wait Hold a minute I'm 49 years old I'm not suppose to act and feel this way about a KNIFE.

"Out in the fields, a man should never be parted from his weapons . . . "
    I like this version better...
    "Let a man never stir on his road a step
    without his weapons of war;
    for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
    of a spear on the way without."
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnirsson
    I like this version better...
    "Let a man never stir on his road a step
    without his weapons of war;
    for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
    of a spear on the way without."
    Cool quote, where is it from ?
    /***********
    Phill
    ************/

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate"
    William of Ockham (ca. 1285-1349)

The Havamal ("Words of the Wise One"), an old Norse poem attributed to the god Odin (Wotan).

I would have assumed (with a handle like "Two Ravens") that you would have known that.

I have a valknut similar to Fjolnirsson's avatar tattooed on my right arm, btw. But I've been a Christian for a while now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links