Correct grip?

Correct grip?

This is a discussion on Correct grip? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When fighting with a self deffense folder how should one hold it? What is the most effective style for fighting with a knife? Blade held ...

Thread: Correct grip?

Correct grip?

When fighting with a self deffense folder how should one hold it? What is the most effective style for fighting with a knife? Blade held pointing up or down?

pros and cons to each hold...have you taken any knife fighting classes? They will discuss this in such a class. Different people will swear by each method it seems.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    There are different ways to hold it depending on what training you have taken. Martial arts styles train you differently. If you aren't trained to use a knife for defense purposes I don't know if it will make much difference.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Not trained thats why I'm curious. Don't have money to train on a students budget.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Find someone that has been trained and have them show you their techniques. You might search You tube and get a few pointers. I can tell you BGs train, I have watch many videos that were taken on surveillance video in prison yards.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

For a short blade (let's say 4" or less), I think the "Pikal" or reverse-edge methods (knife held so the edge faces in) will yield the best results due to the damage that can be inflicted with these methods.

For a good explanation (with pics) check these links:
    http://www.shivworks.com/PSP/An%20Ex...of%20Pikal.pdf
    http://www.shivworks.com/PSP/ECQ%20knife%20work.pdf

I would highly recommend "SouthNarc's" Reverse Edge Methods Vol. I and II DVD's if you're interested in a very effective system. He does a great job of communicating the material in an easy-to-understand manner which facilitates rapid learning.
    Vol 1 Reverse Edge Methods DVD

Vol 2 video trailer http://www.shivworks.com/videos/remv2.wmv

Edit to add: Whatever grip you choose, it should be strong. Keep your wrist locked so you don't lose the knife and stab to the abdomen, neck/throat, and kidneys.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Edge up. In a knife fight you will be going for the weaker areas...i.e. forearms or stomach. Stay away from the chest...too much bone. Too much to get through. In an extended knife fight, which I don't expect to ever encounter, I will go for my opponent's forearms/wrists. The blood loss will weaken the opponent and the grip will become slippery. In a fast and brutal counter-attack which is more likely, I will be stabbing into the stomach and up...cutting blade up. Stabbing down is fool hardy. Too much bone structure to get to through to hit anything vital, and blocking a downcoming blow is much more natural to an opponent than blocking an upcoming blow.

Also, cutting edge up provides more of a defensive stature...if somebody strikes at you, or stabs at you, with your blade cutting edge up, with the blade low, it's much easier to slash at the wrists/forearms/stomach and there is no bone in the way of getting to an artery/tendons.

Just my .02.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

What KenpoTex said. You could do much, much worse than following his advise.
    God, country, family.

Pakal (KenpoTex's 'pikal') can work really well, depending on the length of the blade. I personally don't prefer it for fairly short blades, as it often requires closer engagement than with the blade in a saksak (standard, blade up) grip.

For quick, mid- to low-level penetration, the saksak grip gives you better ability to thrust, and thrust quickly. Think prison stabbings. High line or eye line distraction, followed by multiple low-level stabs into the midsection.

Using a shorter blade also takes away the pakal grip's controlling and palisut motions, which utilize the leverage of the blade.

Then again, much of this is academic. There are very few knife fights, where both fighters are aware of the other's knife, essentially in a duel situation.

They are really just stabbings.

Having said that, there really is no 'correct' grip. It's the grip you happen to acquire when presenting your knife, and hopefully, it's a grip you've trained with.

As Tuhon Ray Dionaldo once said at a FCS Family Gathering, it's really just a matter of "pointy end goes in the other guy".

-JT

Sponsored Links