I want an automatic knife.

This is a discussion on I want an automatic knife. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; check here: KNIFEZILLA.COM and here: Out The Front Automatics - Blade Play . they have plenty of autos, on the cheap....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want an automatic knife.

check here: KNIFEZILLA.COM and here: Out The Front Automatics - Blade Play. they have plenty of autos, on the cheap.

2. Remove Ads

Benchmade's Axis lock is the best on the market, and can be had in auto versions.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Maybe I'm out of the loop on the laws regarding auto blades, but we had to supply a military ID for purchases to Benchmade. LEO/EMT's have to also.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Maybe I'm out of the loop on the laws regarding auto blades, but we had to supply a military ID for purchases to Benchmade. LEO/EMT's have to also.
    That could be company policy. No Dak's Century Code states I can carry one as long as I have the CCW
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I would recommend getting a SEVERTECH, I own one and they are the one of the best available, I personally know the owner Aaron Riley, he assembles each knife by hand and the quality shows. These knives are built like tanks, they open with such force that if your not holding the knife tight be prepared for it to jump out of your hand.

Severtech Switchblade Knives

Auto knives

As a collector, I have many switchblades. Useful in many applications for one hand, a stage hand on a scaffold, for instance. But many of us can deploy an assisted, or even non-assisted folder much quicker. The Crkt m-16 is a good one for speed.
    Too much of a good thing is not enough... member of WVCDL and NRA

If your looking for a great automatic at a good price go to Knife Mart Welcomes you. I have 2 KALS 74 auto's and they sell for around $ 40.00 they are great knife at a cheap price. I have alot of friends that have bought this knife and no complaints yet. I have owned mine for over a year and they both work great and the actions are tight and fast. Hpe this helps you out.

Do you want a serious knife or a crappy knife-like novelty plaything? I ask because "affordable" means something entirely different depending on what you want. If you just want a toy and aren't worried about durability or blade quality you can surely find something fun either at a gun/knife show or online for dirt cheap. On the other hand if you want a simple no-frills knife you can do some real work with expect to spend over $100.

Here's some general pricings off the top of my head to give you a general idea of what the auto market is like:
    Cheap Stiletto or Dalton/Microtech Knockoff: $10-35
    Used Benchmade various models: $100-120
    New Protech Godfather (Basic): $180
    New Severtech Standard Model: $250
    New Microtech Troodon: $315
    New Microtech Scarab: $460

You know, I had a "shot" at buying one of those Russian "SPETZNATZ" knives at Fort Benning back in the early 1980's for about $100. Wish I'd done it. But I saw it then for the gimmick it was -- The Blade is under extreme pressure via a spring and can launch at the press of a button right out of the grip!

I much prefer the "assisted opening" blades I've found from a number of companies. They're legal and just as fast. I especially like the one I got from CRKT called "The VooDoo." I do like the OTF type from Benchmade known as "The Infidel." That looks wicked. Still something like that...

My feeling is if you want something designed for combat or the stealthy kill, you might as well get a fixed blade designed for that and proven in a LOT of wars like the KA-BAR or Randall. If you want a knife that at first glance by anybody that matters sees a hunting or utility knife then something like a Buck Folding Hunter is a good rugged choice. But it's a little bit heavy. So I chose a Spyder Co and my voodoo. Perfectly innocuous and innocent. But you've got to know how you're going to use it.

First rule of knife fighting (as taught to me by my "Uncle") is EXPECT TO GET CUT. Unless you're taking out a sentry by stealth. Then it's easier except the stalk.... But now, in civilian mode we're talking first degree murder. So if that's your intent we're back to fixed blades designed for the purpose.....

I see an auto knife as having the purpose of use with one hand safely to cut something other than flesh. Rope, boxes, seat belts, whatever. Not so much as a defensive action. Also it looks really wicked cool.

For anybody that is basically sheep it will have a deterrent effect since sheep have an aversion to being slaughtered. They're kinda funny like that. But sheepdogs and worse, the wolves of society. Naaaaaaw. Producing a fast opening blade is only going to let them get ready for combat.

If I had my druthers going against a blade I'd take an ASP collapsible baton or even a Taser.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    My intent is just one hand use. I found a Boker which is just enough for what I need. I'm not a knife fighter, I have no training for that so the thought of a $400 knife is just not worth the money for me.

I have an assisted open knife that is pretty good, I just wanted an auto knife because I could have one and wanted one.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Benchmade....another maker worth looking into... There are models well within the price range that you want and the items that they make are rock solid. I carry one for EDC(and own two others)....great knife!!

Benchmade has the nicest autos I've seen. Personally, I carry a Gerber 09 auto.

If you want a more classsic look, try to find one of those switchblades that Paratroopers carried in WWII. Don't know what they're called but they're awesome.
    Only bring artillery when you intend to kill absolutely everything.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Boker is making some fine little auto knives that dont look like switchblades . The steel is on par with Chicago Cutlery kitchen knives so it isnt the best , but not the worst either . I have had a few for a couple years , and so far if you keep them lubed they run . Note tho that i dont carry them in " public " . I carry them on the ranch to cut such things as bale twine , and an occasional piece of wire .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

nicnac.net

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    I've always wanted a switchblade, but I don't need anything real fancy or expensive. It probably will be more a 'toy' than anything else.

Any suggestions of where to look and what to look for
    Kershaw Leek (Black & Gold, Plain) Knife at The Kershaw Store

Not an auto, but has an 'assist'. I have it and like it better than auto's...besides, in NY, only LE can buy an auto......
    Ken Onion designs for Kershaw and his knives are sweet and not too expensive.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links