Benchmade Vs. Spyderco...Go Time

This is a discussion on Benchmade Vs. Spyderco...Go Time within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I have carried a Benchmade Mini Griptilian for years...I think I have been through 3 of them, one was lost, wore one out. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Benchmade Vs. Spyderco...Go Time

Benchmade Vs. Spyderco...Go Time

Well, I have carried a Benchmade Mini Griptilian for years...I think I have been through 3 of them, one was lost, wore one out.

I went to the knife store and seen a Spyderco Native III and loved the beefy nasty looking blade so I bought it. This is one well thought out knife and it is the best knife I have ever owned. I liked it so much I ordered 2 more of them....1 for my work pants, 1 for my summer shorts, and 1 for my home work pants. 2 of them are the Native III knife. Only 50 bucks and there is alot of knife there for 50 bucks.

Sorry Benchmade Mini Griptilian, you have been my companion for many many years, but it is time to move on, and I have become a Spyderco fan for now. It is one fine knife!!!!!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Good choice, but as you now know you can't go wrong with either!

I bought a full sized Griptillian a couple days before I left for Baghdad to work construction. Carried it pretty much 24/7 for months, got a lot of use out of it on the job site. It's one fantastic knife.

My normal EDC for years was a Spyderco Endura (in plastic, with fully serrated Spyder edge). Lost if after something like 7 years of carry. Then I decided to resume collection, now I've got a bunch of Endura's (vintage, current, steel etc.), and several other Spyderco's including the Native III.

Hard to wrong with any of these really, but I understand what draws you to the Native. It's an understated lightweight little dynamo of a knife!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

i was a big time Cold Steel fan, until i bought my first spydie. it was a delica i got for $40. i've picked up a few more since then. i never could get into benchmade knives; just like glocks, they never felt right in my hand.

Administrator
    I know Benchmades (not the griptillain necessarily) is generally a better made knife, but I've been carrying my spyderco daily... its a tough knife.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I really like my Native III. Good choice.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I'd say that my Griptilian and Endura are equally well made, with bronze bushings, steel liners, and great edge holding steel. FWIW, the Griptilian was about $70, and I paid around $50 for the Endura (waved, plain blade... the Benchmade is a hollow ground plain blade as well). The Spyderco blade feels more... stout... for chopping and other high impact tasks, and will likely find its home in my BOB once I get another weak hand knife (probably a mini Griptilian). I do prefer the slimmer hollow ground edge on the Benchmade for defensive purposes, as it slices much more effortlessly through cloth, leather, and meat. Hey, we talk about ammo tests all the time... who actually takes the time to test their blades? If you carry it, you should know what it can and cannot do.

I absolutely love the aesthetics of the Benchmades, but you can't beat the versatility (or price point) of a good Spyderco. If Benchmade made a Mini-Grip or Grip for $50-60 instead of $75-90 I'd pick one up in a heartbeat. Alas, I'll just have to make-do with my Spydies/Byrdies.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

ever since i bought my first spyderco,about a month ago,an endura wave,ive been in the spydie cult.... great knives.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Both companies have a strong fan base and a good quality product line. I'm personally a Benchmade fan and carry at least one everyday (usually an older model 750 Pinnacle framelock) but I can't fault anyone for having a preference for Spydies, they're well made and offer a wide range of models.
    Jack

VIP Member
    Pics please.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mo
    I just bought a stainless Spyderco Harpy - it's freakin' wicked. I've wanted one for a long time, and finally dropped the dough. The blade is thicker than most pocked folders out there and the serrated hawkbill should cut through just about anything. The lockup is really really solid, it's a lockback. Not as techie as the axis lock or anything but very strong and simple.

I always liked the Merlin blade myself - talk about wicked looking!
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Pics please.
    Realized my pics really haven't kept up with my collection the past few years! I got nothing from the last 3 or so years, but here is one that shows a few Sppyderco's, left to right are a very early Endura with Spyder Edge, a series III (if I'm not mistaken) Endura with Spyder edge (never liked the clip set up on that model), a Native III and a green Delica with combo edge. Flashlight is a Surefire A-2 Aviator, watch is the Breitling Chrono Avenger.

Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

My Native is my EDC on and off duty.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Realized my pics really haven't kept up with my collection the past few years! I got nothing from the last 3 or so years, but here is one that shows a few Sppyderco's, left to right are a very early Endura with Spyder Edge, a series III (if I'm not mistaken) Endura with Spyder edge (never liked the clip set up on that model), a Native III and a green Delica with combo edge. Flashlight is a Surefire A-2 Aviator, watch is the Breitling Chrono Avenger.
    Nice collection - and the 2nd Endura from the left, as well as the Delica, are both 3rd gen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links