Kershaw Leek and Neck Rig From The Martialist

This is a discussion on Kershaw Leek and Neck Rig From The Martialist within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, I cannot sleep, so here's an independent review of sorts. As someone who posts way too much on both sites, I'm cross posting this ...

Thread: Kershaw Leek and Neck Rig From The Martialist

Kershaw Leek and Neck Rig From The Martialist

Okay, I cannot sleep, so here's an independent review of sorts. As someone who posts way too much on both sites, I'm cross posting this at Pax Baculum and CombatCarry.com as I sometimes do.

The product in question is the Kershaw Leek in a Ramline brand kydex neck sheath as sold by The Martialist Store. The price was $60 shipped. I hope CombatCarry.com doesn't mind if I borrow some space for a few files here.

First the main feature here, the knife.

The Kershaw Leek - the short version is I like it. It's a good middle price range knife at $45-$55 locally. The main gimmick is its Speedsafe opening mechanism which may or may not be okay in your area. I personally quite like its slender profile and a blade that's not quite what I'd call a Wharncliffe but that's what I'll call it anyway.

The Leek has several clever features. First, the steel handles may just be a little too slippery for some. This is addressed by the fact that there are some ridges at the base of the blade on either side to give your finger and thumb purchase. Rather than try to conform to your fingers per se, the handle is actually almost neutral. The forward grip seems to work best, but other grips didn't seem out of the question. There's not so much a choil present, but when the blade is open, the flipper becomes something of a minimalist guard, which is fairly clever and reminds me of some CRKT products. I give the overall ergonomics a solid B, as I'm able to fully manipulate the knife one handed with my sausage fingers. It just isn't big enough for me to really get a completely secure grip on however, but that's a personal problem. It's worth remarking that you should keep the clip on this knife and probably leave it in the tip down configuration, because the clip's design is very clever and is designed to help with ergonomics, grip, and indexing.

I had a Leek before and I remember now why I got out of it, because the safety on the knife was just unuseable and ultimately had to be removed to get any use out of the knife at all. Well guess what, they've fixed that now it seems. The safety is much tigher, which does make it harder to engage or deactivate, but when you move it into position, it's not going anywhere this time. Yes this knife has a safety. It needs one, because if you bump the flipper, the assisted opening mechanism can cause it to open right up.

Okay handle is pretty good, safety is improved... the lock. I'm pretty particular about locks. This knife is not a liner lock. It is a frame lock. It's a well executed frame lock. I know some people aren't happy about the idea of two ramped surfaces in contacti with each other providing your lockup, but then again I didn't warm up to the notion of a single action pistol until I finally found one I liked. I like it. It gives you that ease of one handed closing without that fear of accidentally depressing a thin liner, leading to a cut on the fingers.

The blade is good old no nonsense 440A. The bevels were ever so slightly off from the factory... when you can tell with your bare eye that's not good. I took a few strokes on the Sharpmaker on mine when I got it. It's now close enough that only a professional sharpener would know it was off, and it shaves hair. A couple strokes a week will keep it this way and the straight edge isn't hard to sharpen. I personally prefer a leaf or drop point blade most of the time but this is good too. It does have a very slight belly to it.

The thumb studs are pretty much nonfunctional. Their only real purpose is to serve as a stop for the opening mechanism.

The Speedsafe mechanism itself works very well. I personally don't really see the point beyond the fact you don't have to articulate the wrist to open it in a hurry. But the mechanism is solid and reliable and if it ever failed for some reason, the knife just becomes a traditional knife you can open and close the old fashioned way. Manual openings are still faster.

I had thought on one occassion this feature might be good for the athritic. My mother, the perfect test subject, was not able to manipulate the knife's controls at all. So scratch that idea. I will say this, I do like this gadget way better than other assisted openers I've had and it's as close to a switchblade as you're going to get without having a switchblade, but I see it as a quirky feature of what's an overall pretty good knife and not the selling point. I think if you put functional thumb studs on it and removed this mechanism I'd still like the knife about the same.

How does it work you ask? Well if you really want to see, you can look at this.

http://www.combatcarry.com/gallery//...loadfile&i=435

Make sure you sign into/register at CombatCarry.com to see the video.

It is made in the USA and not Japan or Taiwan or whatever so you can feel good about that, and it's the best pocketknife I've ever had for slicing fruit at lunch. Its appearance, while having a fairly good sized blade, is very inoffensive. I have used it quite a bit already actually in front of the sheeple. Just don't let them see you open it.

The neck rig is pretty neat. I have actually been using it at home while in lounge wear more than any other time or place. It does seem to be a smart way to carry this knife as you can't have an accidental opening with this rig. It does rattle a bit, so I might have to replace the ball chain with paracord. Its multiple holes and their position makes me want to experiment with a Tek-lok. The draw from the rig is quick, and the retention of the sheath itself is great.

What I will say for this setup that's unique to it is that you can quickly draw and open the knife in one fluid motion with a very rough motion. There's no articulation or rotation of the wrist necessary.

This is a good deal no matter how you slice it, pun intended. While it's not going to be my favorite tool, it does fill a niche. I find more and more my pockets are full of crap and I need a slimmer knife sometimes, or a way to carry a folder and get it out of my pocket entirely.

If you'd like to purchase this product, please contact Phil Elmore at his website. I received world class service and very fast shipping.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the vote of support, man.

Here are some more shots of the rig in question:

Good Review Euc ... But ya need to used one of them new confinscated digital camera with auto focus you pics are a little fuzzzy

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Phil, What are your thoughts on wearing a folder on a neck chain. Especially if you have to wear it UNDER a shirt. I have a friend that wears a rather large streight blade on a paracord under a shirt with buttons and he can deploy the weapon very quickly. When I'm in the working in the flower beds or mowing the grass,modes,I wear a 4" double edge on a paracord under my single,dirty,sweaty, T-shirt. I have been approached by people asking directions,selling stuff,etc.,while in the front yard and it's very convienient to reach up under my dirty shirt to "scratch a itch".--------

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Good Review Euc ... But ya need to used one of them new confinscated digital camera with auto focus you pics are a little fuzzzy
    Yeah I don't pretend to be any sort of photographer Bud. My camera is dirt cheap.

It actually works just fine for general use, but these up close shots of stuff, it has problems. A large part of it is me because I'm not a professional or even amateur photographer.

Phil, What are your thoughts on wearing a folder on a neck chain. Especially if you have to wear it UNDER a shirt. I have a friend that wears a rather large streight blade on a paracord under a shirt with buttons and he can deploy the weapon very quickly. When I'm in the working in the flower beds or mowing the grass,modes,I wear a 4" double edge on a paracord under my single,dirty,sweaty, T-shirt. I have been approached by people asking directions,selling stuff,etc.,while in the front yard and it's very convienient to reach up under my dirty shirt to "scratch a itch".
    I'm working on an entire article on the pros and cons of neck carry. It is a convenient and discreet means of carrying a variety of tools -- but the drawback is that a) you've got something around your neck (a problem that can be mitigated by the material used); and b) the neck-carried item will not be in the same place each time, especially if you're trying to draw it while doing something other than standing or sitting still.

Personally, I like neck carry for specific scenarios (the rig above is for a black Spyderco Endura and was made by Mike Sastre of River City Sheaths). To those worried that someone will choke them with their own neck cord, I'd say that you'v already done several things wrong if you get to that point. The consistency of position and draw is a valid concern, but there is no perfect mode of carry and there is no concealed weapon that can always be accessed in every situation.

I have a Sastre rig for a Spyderco Endura, and wear it whenever I am on one of those long interstate trips down south. Lots of trips into rest area restrooms at all hours, and I have at least one weapon quite handy.

It doesn't bounce, and even though it moves from side to side, the knife and rig is so light it really isn't a problem.

Assistant Administrator
    Great review Euc
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links