Your preferred knife locking method?

This is a discussion on Your preferred knife locking method? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like Axis locks, but I think my favorite for strength and simplicity is Spyderco's compression lock. Frame locks are next on the list, and ...

View Poll Results: Which locking method do you prefer for your EDC knife?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Liner lock

34 40.00%
  • Axis lock

23 27.06%
  • Lock back

17 20.00%
  • Other - please identify and explain -

11 12.94%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your preferred knife locking method?

I like Axis locks, but I think my favorite for strength and simplicity is Spyderco's compression lock. Frame locks are next on the list, and I have more of them just because more knives are available with that lock. I've had bad experiences with liner locks and generally avoid them now.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

2. Remove Ads

I love the axis lock and I don't think I'd get another foldable without one.

I like Spyderco's Ball lock and Benchmade's Axis lock. Yes, I know they are very similar.

By the way, do Balisong's lock up after opening count? If so, then that would have to be my favorite. They are simple and... don't close up in-hand. Ever.
    God, country, family.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Does Spyderco have many knives with the ball laock other than the P'Kal?

BTW, every balisong I have come across has a swinging lock that fits into the opposite handle via tension.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The only liner lock I've had that "failed" was one that would not release so the blade couldn't be closed. The only one I really don't like is that idiot LAWKS on CRKT that takes three hands to close.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    The only liner lock I've had that "failed" was one that would not release so the blade couldn't be closed. The only one I really don't like is that idiot LAWKS on CRKT that takes three hands to close.
    that's the only one I would actually own or recommend.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    That's the one I currently carry....
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    All my knives are liner locks, but my favorite for carry and general use are liners with a secondary lock like Gerbers InterLock or CRKT's LAWKS. With a little practice, they can be just as fast as a normal liner (and I can certainly open and close all mine one-handed), but they're a lot sturdier under prying loads and heavy use than just the liner by itself.

I've had one liner fail on me by not fully engaging, but that doesn't mean they're all bad.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

"BTW, every balisong I have come across has a swinging lock that fits into the opposite handle via tension."

I should have explained what I meant further - When you open a balisong and hold it in you hand, regardless of engaging the latch if there is on (I own some that have no latches), the knife is by design locked open for practical purposes at that point. If that counts for the purpos of htis threa, then it is my favorite.

--

Erik - Another guy who has never owned a liner-lock that did not eventually fail.
    God, country, family.

I prefer a good framelock, the Benchmade axis lock comes in second. I'll never buy another liner lock, I like my fingers too much.
    Jack

I like the AXIS lock.

I've only had liner lock and spine lock knives, and cheap ones at that. The only one to take the abuse thusfar is the liner lock. I've hade a spine lock close on my hand while chipping ice away from a door. Thankfully I didn't get cut too bad. Since then I've been a liner lock fan and haven't had one crap out on me yet. Although from what I've read if the spine lock knife had had the detent it might not have failed.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

I have really been a fan of the Walker Liner Lock and have carried them for years! My Benchmade Stryker being my fav until I lost it. (I hate that!)

As a replacement I got a Benchmade Griptilian with an Axis lock and have had no problems with it. I have really come to like the Griptilian with a modified sheepsfoot blade.

Still, I liked the Stryker so much I'll probably get one of the new Nitrous Strykers before the end of the year.

So far a very slight advantage to the liner lock over the axis, but no complaints with the axis either.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

i like frame locks, don't like liner locks....and i like the spydie ball bearing lock.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Personally, I like frame-locks & axis locks (Or CS's "Ultra lock" & SOG's arc-lock). The axis-lock can be used as quickly, for both opening & closing, as an auto or A/O, but frame-locks are so nice (Especially on a Ti framed custom).

Back locks aren't bad (They're actually pretty strong), but they tend to develop play quicker after time & aren't (Usually) as smooth & quick as a liner lock or the other locking mechanisms.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links