Your preferred knife locking method?

This is a discussion on Your preferred knife locking method? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi folks. A lot of us are pretty opinionated about how our knives lock open for one reason or another. I would like to see ...

View Poll Results: Which locking method do you prefer for your EDC knife?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Liner lock

34 40.00%
  • Axis lock

23 27.06%
  • Lock back

17 20.00%
  • Other - please identify and explain -

11 12.94%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your preferred knife locking method?

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar

Your preferred knife locking method?

Hi folks. A lot of us are pretty opinionated about how our knives lock open for one reason or another. I would like to see what you prefer and why.

I personally prefer liner locks or axis locks, as they have never failed me under rigorous use, but a lock back closed on my fingers during some kali drills and cut me up pretty good.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

2. Remove Ads

Axis, lockback, or piston/side locker.

I haven't had any decent lock of any configuration fail on me, but I have on liner locks that are within the same price range (hey, I'm a college student - good frame/liners are generally out of my price range).
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

My experience so far is that the difference shows more on cheap knives. A friend of mine just got a cheapo Jeep-branded liner-lock and it doesn't lock consistently -- I certainly don't trust it to hold under pressure.

My CRKT BULL has a liner lock - the only time I've ever had problems was when I used it to dig a hole and it got so clogged with dirt that I couldn't close the knife until I cleaned it real good. Not an expensive knife but adequately well made.

I especially don't trust cheapo assisted openers.

My vote goes for anything of decent quality. For an automatic I'd certainly want a good knife to avoid surprise hospitalizations.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I'm in favor of both Axis and Backlocks. Both are strong and ambi-friendly, but I marked Axis on the poll due to the fact that my current strong side carry knife uses it (I've moved my waved Endura (backlock) over to my weak side).

I voted other because I prefer frame locks.

I like properly fitted liners,or spine-locks with an appropriately deep Boye detent. I really like the new Spyderco ball bearing lock(my EDC.)

I voted for the Axis lock (or similar designs like the Spyderco ball-bearing lock or SOG arc-lock), my second choice would be a Frame lock, followed by a Spine lock with the Boye "dent."

I abhor liner-locks.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Say Kenpo what is the Boye dent?
    God bless our troops!

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    I abhor liner-locks.
    Any particular reason other than personal preference? I am asking because I am considering switching to a couple Spydercos as my EDC blades, but I am hesitant about their lock after having a lock back collapse and cut me during practice drills. One of my training partners had a similar experience. I have never had a liner lock fail (though I only have personal experience with Bench Made, Emerson, CRKT, and Kershaw knives).

I am considering buying some and removing any excess material on the lock that still shows after the "breaking point" for the lock's release. By doing this I would hope to minimize the possibility of accidental release from my big fat gorilla hands (that's what happened last time).
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Quote Originally Posted by BOOM-STICK Holsters View Post
    Any particular reason other than personal preference? ...I have never had a liner lock fail (though I only have personal experience with Bench Made, Emerson, CRKT, and Kershaw knives).
    I have never had a Liner lock that didn't fail so I don't recommend them. To each his own though.

Quote Originally Posted by BOOM-STICK Holsters View Post
    I am considering buying some and removing any excess material on the lock that still shows after the "breaking point" for the lock's release. By doing this I would hope to minimize the possibility of accidental release from my big fat gorilla hands (that's what happened last time).
    That would probably work well. The only time I've had a spyderco lock unintentionally disengage was when I ended up grappling over an Endura trainer (he had the knife and I was "gorilla gripping" his hand).

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns
    Say Kenpo what is the Boye dent?
    a crescent shaped cutout in the spine lock button that makes it more difficult to disengage the lock by accident.
    Attached Images
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Hey thanks Kenpo, I learned something new tonight.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    Hey thanks Kenpo, I learned something new tonight.
    glad to help

Matt K.

By lock back I'll assume you're talking about a spine lock. I'm in the minority, but that's actually what I prefer. Very strong and somewhat elegant in it's simplicity. Very easy to manipulate when you need to, but I've never had one inadvertantly disengage.
    Last edited by David in FL; June 3rd, 2008 at 05:22 PM.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Switchblade.

It's a New York City thing

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

i like axis locks, simply because they're faster. otherwise, all locks are the same; they all will fail at some point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links