Busse knives?

This is a discussion on Busse knives? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone here have or used any of the Busse knives? One of the Busse Knife models (Steel heart II) has my attention, although they're way ...

Thread: Busse knives?

Busse knives?

Anyone here have or used any of the Busse knives?

One of the Busse Knife models (Steel heart II) has my attention, although they're way out of my price range at the moment. Was just curious if anyone had any opinions on them(in case it ever is in my price range...might be shortly). One downside is trying to get ahold of one even if you do have the cash. They only make so many at a time and it seems like darn near no one ever sells theirs once they have their hands on them or if they do sell them it's at outrageous prices.

I tend to like the thicker bladed knives and these run 5/16". I like my knives heavy and able to take major abuse. I don't like them too long either. 7" is right about my max comfort level for most uses. Their heat treat sounds a bit interesting too. I'd be interested if anyone who has one or used one can back up their claims on their INFI treatments for their blades.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

V8
    Check this out
    BussefFFBMtestpage
    lots of abuse in these video clips. So far the Busse has taken the most abuse of any of the knives tested.

I've had a few Busse knives, three of his early prototypes as well.

Personally, Busse is grossly over priced. They also own Swamp Rat Knives and Scrapyard Knife Works. With "Busse" you're paying (IMHO) for his name and ke-wel micarta scales. Scrapyard or Swamp Rat would be better bang for the buck. I believe Blade Forums had a comparison/content chart on the INFI steel. It is good, but there are no "miracle steels."
    Home Page
    Scrap Yard Knife Works

Rob72 nailed it. Busses are good, don't get me wrong, but their market has been ruined for the consumer by collectors. Jerry is making out like a bandit because of them and I don't fault him for that. If you want a good hard use knife they are no longer a viable option simply because of the high cost IMO. You can spend 1/3 as much to get a knife that's every bit as good from Swamp Rat or Scrapyard or even a custom maker. Do some poking around and Bladeforums and Knifeforums, you'll find something you like. Bark River Knives in particular may have something you like, and Spyderco started making Jerry Hossom designed fixed blades that look phenomenal. Kershaw's Zero Tolerance line might have something for you as well.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Thanks guys. That's the kind of answers I was looking for. I'll look at the scrapyards and swaprats.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I don't own one, but I've handled several and know a few people that do own them. I've been very impressed by the quality and by all accounts, they're extremely tough.

They're not cheap, but I don't think that they're out of line for what you get. If I were in the market for a good, utility camp knife that could handle anything I threw at it, a Busse would be on my short list.

My .02

I own about 30 Busse knives of various models and am not Busse Fan Boy. Pricey? Yes. Worth it? Perhaps.

Great knives for use, better than most. You can usually beat the hell out of one and then sell it for the original price if you are so inclined. Of course, as with anything, that could change overnight and you might be lucky to get $20 for something that cost you $800 or more.

If you want one, buy it and use it. I would spend the extra money and get a "Heavy" or "Fat" variant depending on the model chosen due to the extra steel adding to the already top rate durability.

Heck- if you break it just send it back. Jerry will send you a new one.

Then again you could get yourself a nice brand new pistol instead for the same price...

Edit: The last time I checked the SwampRat and ScrapYard knives did not have the same INFI steel which I admit, I really do like. They are fine knives but not the same as a true Busse.

I've badly abused a Cold Steel SRK for about 15 years. Thick blade, comfortable handle, and just the right blade length at 7". Sharp as hell and easy to restore the edge. I bought mine as a "second" special from CS and like it even better than the Kabar I was issued in 1968. My only complalint is the crappy nylon sheath with the dual, hard-to-open snap closures. Maybe they've upgraded the sheath by now.

Links