Looking for a fixed blade...

This is a discussion on Looking for a fixed blade... within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; biomechanical cutting...sigh...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a fixed blade...

biomechanical cutting...sigh
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

2. Remove Ads

Just saw this. Gotta agree with Tex here. I am presently carrying the Cold Steel Braveheart in a sheath made by Dave Pyle. Before that I was carrying a Shivworks Clinch Pick. And when I say carrying I mean 16 hours a day 7 days a week unless wardrobe issues make it impossible. Read that wardrobe issue as open front suit coat scenarios which are rare for me these days. Otherwise I carry it everyday.

Both are carried on belt with tip up handle down at about 11 o'clock on my belt.The Braveheart, due to the handle length is carried at a more horizontal angle than the Clinchpick, but both are carried in same place and drawstroke is a left to right slightly downward pull. This placement not only allows access with my right hand , but also access with my left too if my right is tied up with more pressing business (like keeping my head from being smashed in).

I would NOT suggest carrying it behind me because it will be more difficult to access in a clinch. And after all, the real reason I carry a belt mounted knife is to cut my way out of a clinch that I cannot get out of with bare hands alone-think 2 against one or someone gets you in a choke hold..... I do not carry it with any grand delusions of beating someone in a swashbuckler style knife fight.

If you carry it behind you, you will be taking one hand COMPLETELY out of the fight while you access it and you're offering up a juicy opportunity for an arm bar if the guy you are wrestling around with has any BJJ or MMA or wrestling experience. And besides, if I have enough time and distance to safely access that knife behind me, why not go ahead and access my gun?

PLUS depending on your wardrobe and the knife design , carrying it behind you might be harder to conceal . I personally wear an untucked polo shirt 95% of the time and have no issues hiding either the Clinch Pick or the Braveheart. But if I move it around to the back, it is obvious if I bend forward slightly......
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The KA BAR TDI can be mounted either way...

My wife just ordered me one today for fatherís day.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

Distinguished Member
    Just to muddy the waters. My son just schooled me a little on combat. This is only if you are carrying. If you carry on your strong side, then a knife should be accessible on your weak side. The less the dexterity, the better. In fact, the object is to use weak side "spastic" thrust motions and this should be done with a fixed blade requiring no effort at opening. This is a second chance employment if your strong side is either disabled, forced against an object, or being held by your opponent. The idea is to be able to grab your weak side blade and thrust in the side, kidneys, etc. After some considerable research, I purchased the Spyderco "Street Beat". Googled it for $134 plus shipping. It is literally razor sharp, comes in a tight Kydex sheath and can be worn vertical, horizontal, or at an angle for cross-draw. Only seven inches long.

SPYDERCO Para Military, G-10 Handle, Plain
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroittwister View Post
    My wife just ordered me one today for fatherís day.
    Unless you're a LEO, you might want to look into carry laws here in Michigan. Unfortunately, a fixed blade of ANY length carried other than a hunting knife or one adapted as such is a felony. Not sure when it happened (I used to carry Gerber , A.G. Russell and Cold Steel fixed blades all the time!). One of the laws we really need to get changed (NO knife for self defense, period.... we need a Florida style law there). And they mean the hunting connection, it's been tested and held up.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior1423 View Post
    Im looking for a quality fixed blade...but there's a challenge for me.

Im looking for a flixed blade that I can mount horizontal on my belt. Everything I find, it looks like the sheath mounts only vertical.

Im wanting this fixed blade for protection only.

Any suggestions?
    Check out the Bill Moran models from Spyderco. 3 7/8" blade, very lightweight, and they come with Blade-Tech sheaths and a Tek-Lok. The Tek-Lok can be mounted vertically, horizontally, or at an angle on either side of the sheath. You can also get a J-hook or Pull-The-Dot loops from Blade-Tech for IWB carry. Cheaper Than Dirt has both models (drop point and clip point) for $60.00

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Check out the Bill Moran models from Spyderco. 3 7/8" blade, very lightweight, and they come with Blade-Tech sheaths and a Tek-Lok. The Tek-Lok can be mounted vertically, horizontally, or at an angle on either side of the sheath. You can also get a J-hook or Pull-The-Dot loops from Blade-Tech for IWB carry. Cheaper Than Dirt has both models (drop point and clip point) for $60.00
    I have the Street Beat that can be worn Horizontal, diagonal for cross draw or vertical. Surprisingly, I found the horizontal, even on a small fixed blade prints while the vertical does not. Oh, and the Street Beat is beautiful, ergonomic, and a razor!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links