Looking for a fixed blade...

This is a discussion on Looking for a fixed blade... within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im looking for a quality fixed blade...but there's a challenge for me. Im looking for a flixed blade that I can mount horizontal on my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a fixed blade...

Looking for a fixed blade...

Im looking for a quality fixed blade...but there's a challenge for me.

Im looking for a flixed blade that I can mount horizontal on my belt. Everything I find, it looks like the sheath mounts only vertical.

Im wanting this fixed blade for protection only.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

The KA BAR TDI can be mounted either way...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

design seems innovative. But how does it perform rather than a traditional fixed blade?...doesnt seem all that great for a "thrust" type movement.

Any other manufacturers that make a horizontal mounted fixed blade?

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    The Ka-Bar's a great SD "last ditch" knife, as the ergos are very natural, especially for someone who trains with a gun.

Some others do come to mind, though. TOPS makes quite a few models that probably will fit the size you want & many of their sheaths come with a spring clip that can be adjusted 360 deg. The Black Hawk Kalista's another one that can be set-up for horizontal carry. Here's a few more, if $ is an issue:

CRKT ABC Hammond Operator
    Ontario RAT3

Also, many smallish FBs have predrilled holes in them so that a small or reg. Tek-Lok will fit on them. The Tek-Lok's nice, because you can pretty much set-up the sheath however you want it (Upside down, right side up, horizonal, & diagonal).

My favorite, though, is probably the Kalista. At about 7 3/8" OAL, is sized well, it's in ATS-34 steel, & the handle's in G-10 & comfortable for just about any grip style.

Hope that helps.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

thank you...appreciate your guy's responses

The knife will only be for defense. So my price range will be $0-100.

I'm a big fan of Mark Goldsworthy's work.
    Mark Goldsworthy Knives Photo Gallery

He'll run a bit over $100, depending on what you want, but he specializes in small fixed defensive blades.

I would have to say that unless you get a custom, the TDI is probably the best bet. Most production knives <4" will do, but you have to spend another $25-60 dollars for a custom sheath that isn't some tumor hanging off your belt.

If you can go a little higher in price, I'd recommend looking at Bud Nealy's knives. His MCS system is extremely flexible and IMHO he makes an extremely high quality product.

Bud Nealy Knifemaker

I carry a Tung Pan of his and couldn't be happier with the knife or the carry system.

I pretty much like the Cold Steel range & the Recon Tanto is very tough. They can also be mounted horizontal, but are a bit large. Benchmade also make a smaller fixed blade as well.
    Just my $0.02

For the price range you listed, the TDI is probably the most common choice.

However, other options include the Ryan "Plan B" or the "Companion" from CRKT or the Braveheart or Culloden from Cold Steel. Dave Pyle (a sheathmaker mentioned in other threads) makes horizontal or angled rigs for all of these.
    Of course, the "cadillac" of the small fixed-blades is the ShivWorks Clinch Pick, but it's about twice the amount you stated as your max. I can also vouch for the excellent quality of Mark Goldsworthy's knives.

IMO, you're not going to want to go with anything with a blade longer than 3-4" or it's going to be hard to conceal in a true horizontal position since the knife will obviously not follow the curve of your body.

Question: Why do you want horizontal carry as opposed other methods? It would be much easier to conceal using an IWB rig.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

reason being because it's seems much easier to pull in a right motion (Im right handed) rather than in a upward motion. I really want the knife on the back of my waist band...and pulling to the right would be much safer and less of a risk getting caught up in my shirt; as for pulling in a upward motion would cause me to clear the whole shirt without getting caught up and causing more of a risk to cut myself while being in a panic situation.

EDIT:...I'd rather not go higher in price just in case I do use the knife in a defensive situation; don't want to lose a $200-300 for police evidence.

design seems innovative. But how does it perform rather than a traditional fixed blade?...doesnt seem all that great for a "thrust" type movement.
    Actually it is better for your thrust becuase the way you grip the knife lines up your arm and wrist. think of the way you punch, its a lot stronger than a thrust motion due to you wrist being lined up with your forearm

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior1423 View Post
    reason being because it's seems much easier to pull in a right motion (Im right handed) rather than in a upward motion. I really want the knife on the back of my waist band...and pulling to the right would be much safer and less of a risk getting caught up in my shirt; as for pulling in a upward motion would cause me to clear the whole shirt without getting caught up and causing more of a risk to cut myself while being in a panic situation.

EDIT:...I'd rather not go higher in price just in case I do use the knife in a defensive situation; don't want to lose a $200-300 for police evidence.
    Have you actually had the opportunity to try drawing using this type of carry setup and drawstroke? I ask because I have played with it and find that it is slower and more difficult (due to the amount of joint-articulation involved) than most other carry methods. The exception to this is when carrying very close to the centerline in front.
    There is also the issue of accessing the blade in weird positions. If you're on the ground, seated, or in a grappling situation or bear-hug, I don't see you getting a knife out from that carry setup very reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by ellswj
    Actually it is better for your thrust becuase the way you grip the knife lines up your arm and wrist. think of the way you punch, its a lot stronger than a thrust motion due to you wrist being lined up with your forearm
    Agreed, the shape the TDI allows an amount of thrusting power that almost puts it in a league with the push-dagger. If I wasn't able to carry a PD, I'd be carrying a TDI.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

good point...

My solution--Ontario Rat 3

My Ontario RAT 3 has a very versatile sheath that can be configured for lots of carry positions with belt-clip or tek-lok. I've positioned it vertical on my belt, and the equivalent of horizontal when on the shoulder strap of a back pack. Nice knife and sheath system. The D2 steel is at the upper end of your price range, with 1095 steel closer to the middle.

Thumbs up TDI knife

I just attended the TDI Extreme Close Quarters Course last weekend. I was familiar with the TDI KBar before, but did not realize the importance of it in close combat.
    The knife is for making structural cuts, not for deep penetrations. When I say structural cuts, I mean taking out the tendons that control head, hand, arm, and leg movement. By severing the tendons, I can render my assailant imobile in seconds, not dead in time to kill me also.
    We employed the TDI knife while doing ground fighting, and it was so much easier than trying to access a handgun. A regular folding knife worked well also, but it usually took two hands to open behind the opponent's back.
    I now carry both the TDI KBar knife on my left side by my front pocket and a Spyderco in my right front pocket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links