I'm ignorant. Help.

This is a discussion on I'm ignorant. Help. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If it's legal, a fixed-blade is the best choice for self-defense. Second place, IMO, goes to the "waved" folders, particularly the Spydercos. The Leek is ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm ignorant. Help.

If it's legal, a fixed-blade is the best choice for self-defense. Second place, IMO, goes to the "waved" folders, particularly the Spydercos.

The Leek is probably one of the best designs Kershaw offers (in terms of quality of construction, etc.), however, I'm not crazy about carrying it as a defensive folder as I personally feel that the handle is too small.

If you're stuck on the idea of having an AO, I'd recommend the Sog Trident.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmac58 View Post
    A relative that has retired from LE, suggested any sturdy serrated blade for defense, as it goes through skin faster than a plain blade, and try to let 'em bleed out.
    While that may be so if you're looking to create a large wound and eventually kill someone, I'm not trying to do that. If I've resorted to my knife for SD purposes, I subscribe to the Michael Janich school of thought - cut what lets them be a threat (the muscles and tendons that are holding their weapon, or those that support the arm that holds the weapon) immobilize them (cut quadriceps and/or hamstring) and utilize your mobility advantage (i.e. GTFO). I'm not about to stick someone in the torso to try to get them to bleed out while I lay there bleeding out also because I didn't focus on my survival, but killing them instead.

With that in mind, I carry either a Spyderco Endura just like JD and Sixto have mentioned, or a Benchmade Griptilian. Both have a razor sharp plain blade, are under $100, and would suit you well. Neither one is spring assisted opening, but both open easily and remarkably fast one handed.

Here's a picture of both of mine - the newer Benchmade, the well-used Endura, and my other weak side tool - a Surefire E2DL.

Senior Moderator
    I like this one.

A point that is tough, can be used for poking or prying, and the blade is 50-50 for the best of both worlds. It is wickedly sharp and can be opened very quickly with the flick of a thumb.

The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Kershaw makes some great knives for the price range. I carry a Leek and let me tell you, it was brutally sharp right out of the box and holds an edge well.
    "I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend" J.R.R. Tolkien

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I like this one.

A point that is tough, can be used for poking or prying, and the blade is 50-50 for the best of both worlds. It is wickedly sharp and can be opened very quickly with the flick of a thumb.

I've got one as well, great knife.

I also just picked up one of these thanks to KenpoTex's review of the Spec Elite II

:

Thus far it's one of my top three knives.

My top three being a fixed blade job that I got from Rob72 here, a Goldsworthy Spike The above mentioned SOG Spec Elite 1, and Cold Steel Voyager as posted by HotGuns.

I would say that of all my folders, the SOG is the smoothest opening and closing knife I've ever had. I still haven't had a Benchmade, I think I need to remedy that...

Another "assisted" opener that I have that I am fond of is the Cold Steel Ti-Lite, I have the 4" Zytel model, or rather did have one before Lima absconded with it, the only thing I'm not overly fond of is the location of the locking mechanism, but I do find it more user friendly than other liner locks to the enlarged pad of the lock.

Another drawback of the Ti-lite is that the blade is a little on the puny side, and will not function well as a general utility knife, it's main purpose is as a stabber, not a heavy duty cutter.

However, I do find the method of opening via the "tooth" to work better than the Emerson Waved Endura, if I could get the Endura blade on the Ti-lites opening system with an axis lock, that would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I carry a Kershaw Blur, but check your state laws before buying or carrying a assisted opener.
    +1 on both counts. I also carry a Blur, but not when I'm in Seattle.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I carry either a Kershaw Scallion(picked it up last weekend at a gun show for $22!) or a CRKT M16-01K .

I wanted a Kershaw Leek, but all the venders only had the stainless handles and I prefer a grip that doesn't get slippery at inoportune moments.

Quote Originally Posted by venemous View Post
    I carry either a Kershaw Scallion(picked it up last weekend at a gun show for $22!) or a CRKT M16-01K .

I wanted a Kershaw Leek, but all the venders only had the stainless handles and I prefer a grip that doesn't get slippery at inoportune moments.
    Close to what I carry! A Scallion all the time, as a box cutter, envelope opener, etc. Usually, in the other pocket, I'll have a CRKT M16-14SFA.

Every once in a while, the CRKT will be rotated out for my cheapie balisong or my karambit, which is an Emerson knock-off.

Thankfully, in FL, I'm allowed to carry such blades concealed w/ my permit.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    While that may be so if you're looking to create a large wound and eventually kill someone, I'm not trying to do that. If I've resorted to my knife for SD purposes, I subscribe to the Michael Janich school of thought - cut what lets them be a threat (the muscles and tendons that are holding their weapon, or those that support the arm that holds the weapon) immobilize them (cut quadriceps and/or hamstring) and utilize your mobility advantage (i.e. GTFO). I'm not about to stick someone in the torso to try to get them to bleed out while I lay there bleeding out also because I didn't focus on my survival, but killing them instead.
    If you have the chance to target your strike, I agree, reduce/stop the threat, yet in such a panic situation, I would just try to hit the attacker.
    Having said that, I don't carry a knife, just passing along info from a professional.

VIP Member
    I like the look of the SOG flash II. Anybody know a realistic price for one.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

VIP Member
    Ohio resident. BTW.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I like the look of the SOG flash II. Anybody know a realistic price for one.
    I just picked up a SOG Flash II with the tanto blade for $55 or so on eBay. Nice knife and you can change the side the pocket clip is on, since I carry this weak side. I also have a decent Gerber from Academy I use for opening boxes, cutting Ethernet cables, etc with and it cost approx $20, but I have to continually sharpen it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    While not really assisted openers, anything with an axis type lock system (the Benchmade Griprtillian or the SOG's discussed above) can be opened lightning quick one handed, and closed just as fast. Both great choices, as are the Spyderco's.

While not a fan of the waved blades (I seem to be in the minority on this), I've found them unnecessary on most blades. The Spyderco's thumb hole opens just fine (and fast) for me, though is slower to close than the axis lock. The Spyderco does have a very flat profile and is light weight, and the newest model has a four position clip for verstility (I carry mine strong side, point up). I prefer the all serrated blade on my Endura (though I also have a couple partially serrated).

I do also like the Carson Flipper feature of the CRKT's (M-16, Cruiser and M-1 Lightfoot reside in my collection), and can also use the guard/protrusion of my Cold Steel Ti Lite in the same manner. Again, very fast opening.

Overall, my favorite is the Spyderco Endura 4 Spyder Edge (fully serrated), but all mentioned are a good choice and will do the job. Which one feels right to you is the main question. All can be found for a decent price (between $45 and $100) on eBay.
    Last edited by T Bone; June 14th, 2008 at 10:51 PM.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Your best bet is to go to a couple of Army/Navy stores and look around, or find a specialty knife store and check things out. Find what you like and either pick it up or get it from eBay. This way you will know what you like and what works for you and you won't have to have too many knives...

What have I just said, I'm sorry not sure what just came over me. Get several knives that work for various situations and keep building the collection.

There, I feel better now.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links