I need a fixed blade Zombie/SHTF American made knife

This is a discussion on I need a fixed blade Zombie/SHTF American made knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do agree that Lynn Thompson is a jerk...however, he makes a decent knife for a reasonable price. CS isn't my top choice, but they're ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a fixed blade Zombie/SHTF American made knife

I do agree that Lynn Thompson is a jerk...however, he makes a decent knife for a reasonable price. CS isn't my top choice, but they're not bad.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    benchmade nimravus model 140 141 or the cub (smaller) 145. I just went through the same shopping and ended with a 140. Its got 154cm steel, and I like how the blade is part of the handle, just with grips bolted to the sides like a 1911. The CUB can be had for under $100 but the others will run you about $120 new, small price to pay for your SHTF kit IMO.

Picasa Web Albums - Mike - guns

Product Details (Benchmade Knife Company - Premiere manufacturer of knives and rescue tools.)
    Still searching...

What do you guys think about the Benchmade CSK II?

If you can read this, thank a teacher; if you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

V8
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    I wouldn't buy anything from Cold Steel. There owner is an absolute jerk. Besides, his knives aren't the best in the world and he seems to have an attitude problem because no one in the military is backing his product.

If your not afraid to spend the money then there is only two peole that I would buy a fixed blade from.

1. Mick Strider. It doesn't get much better than his knives and soldiers, sailors, Airmen and Marines SOF forces have been a testment to his quality. You won't find better steel, or heat treatment. www.striderknives.com

2. Bill Harsey and Chris Reeve. Chris Reeve and Bill Harsey are the work horses in the fixed and folding blade knife industry. It's hard to compare Strider to a Harsey/Reeve knife. Both are using the best SV30 steels and heat treating. It really doesn't get any better than these knives, regardless of what anybody tells you. I might take an Emerson, but If I've got a choice then I take a Harsey/Reeve knife over just about anybody, except for may Strider and it's a close call there to be too finicky.

Look for the "Green Beret" knife. It is the same knife that is given to the graduates of the Special Forces Qaulification Course when they cross the stage to recieve their diploma. Its not a toy, it's a real deal tool.

Chris Reeve Knives - Optimum Quality, Optimum Performance

His "Pacific"knife was also made for 1st Special Forces Group and is available to the public under the name of "Pacific"

Chris Reeve Knives - Optimum Quality, Optimum Performance

I wouldn't look at any other knives.
    You should have said, If you not afraid if wasting money.
    You know that the owner of strider knives is a fraud don't you?

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...k-strider.html

Mick Strider has some explaining to do. - BladeForums.com

Here is a destruction test of a $375.00 Strider knife page7

And the same type test on a $35.00 Cold steel knife.
    page28

The Cold Steel knife at less than 1/10 of the cost did just as well and was just as tough as the Strider IMO.

You really think a $300.00+ knife should have a cord wrapped handle? If so I'll sell ya this one for $200.00

Oh, and then the Chris Revee "Green Beret" knife.
    ChrisReeveGreenBeretDtest
    Watch this test and see how surprised the guy is when it breaks.

I know that these knives are taking more abuse than you would normally put them trough but as the thread says "fixed blade Zombie/SHTF American made knife"

Sorry if I come across to strong, but seriously there are much better knives and for a lot less money than either the Revee or the Strider.

V8:

There is alot that you do not about the Mick Strider situation. What you read on those boards is only scratching the surface and depending on who you believe, then all that non-sense is up for grabs, as far as I'm concerned.

Facts: Mick Strider seved with Ranger Regiment. That is not and was not embelishment of any kind. Yes, he was supposedly arrested for auto theft and used a gun, but the facts there are sketchy at best as to who had the firearm and what role Mick played. Yes, he's served time in jail for the offense.

Reality: Mick Strider served his time, payed his dept to society and then came out of prison and made something of himself. That's more than most have ever done when returning to society. He runs a great company.

His knives are top notch. If you prefer a micarta or linen micarta style grip plates screwed onto each side of the rear of the one piece of steel, be my guest. they break and some times the screws will work loose. I suppose it's an ideology thing. Would you rather have micarta break or just have 550 cord to contend with ? In battle, with no supply lines available, it's much more easy to just rewrap the handle with spare 550 cord. I don't and never have seen this as anything but practical and sensible. Micks knives are not for weekend warriors and paintballers or airsofters.

Lynn Thompson of Cold Steel Knives used his website to slander Mick Strider. Plain and simple. Lynn Thompson also paid the price for that stupidity and if you notice there is no more "Mick Strider behind bars" image on his website. I wouldn't wast my money on any Cold Steel knife. It's a toy and won't stand up to the torture tests that a Strider or Harsey/Reeve will. Plain and simple.

Blade Forums member "Spark" is either Lynn Thompson himself or an employee of Lynn Thompson. That has been debated because of the IP address and location and use of the screen name over the internet. Clearly "Spark" wanted to waste more bandwidth on Mr. Strider than anyone in on the entire forum. (Insert wanker emoticon) Interestingly that thread you provided has over 1,600 posts and 82 pages. That's why I'm not a member of that forum. Spark can kiss my behind.

However discouraging it may have been for Lynn Thompson to see Mick Striders success is not and was not a valid reason for liable slander in the form in which Mr. Thompson did display his stupidity. His actions wreak of poor charachter, nothing more than jealousy of ones own success. A man that can't restrain himself is a man that lacks any type of traits I want to do business with.

Take any knife and put it through the torture tests that you have mentioned and linked too. There's few knives that will last as long as Strider and Reeve/Harsey designs. I have no need to take a fixed blade and use a pair of vice grip on it to see how much of an angle nor how much torque it is going to withstand before breaking. Do that with that a Cold Steel knife and it will break with little torque. Besides, if you need a prybar, your mostly likelly to have another tool hanging off your kit, not a knife. Kinda rediculus don't you think ? I can break a rifle barrel in half also, with enough torque huh ?

Buy what you want, but since I personally know Mick Strider and Chris Reeve and Mr. Bill Harsey, I'll trust them more than any direct type knife company.
    Last edited by Skygod; July 2nd, 2008 at 07:11 AM.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

V8
    Hey I found another Revee knife test and it broke just as easy as the last one.
    crkproject2destructiontest

okay guys...no need to turn this into another "bash the knife company owner" thread.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by V8 View Post
    Hey I found another Revee knife test and it broke just as easy as the last one.
    crkproject2destructiontest
    Yeah, another "Torque" test ? "it broke just as easy" ??? You mean taking a pair of vice grips and putting it into a vice and trying to break it ? Yep, any knife is going to break under those circumstances. What's your point ? Remember he had to bend the blade to 40 degree angle, not once but three or four times for it to break. Not bad in my book, and I certainly can't imagine an AUS8A steel like Cold Steel taking that kind of punishment.

If you don't want a Reeve/Harsey design then by all means don't purchase one.

Again, I can break any knife in half with enough torque. These videos you are supplying only prove one thing to me. DON'T PUT YOUR KNIFE IN A VICE AND TRY TO BREAK IT.

What your not willing to address is the testing done prior to the "torqueing" test. It chops wood pretty darn well, and that's more than I say for the Cold Steel that I owned years back while stationed at Bragg. It cut 500 lp strenght pretty darn easy after chopping wood too didn't it ?

Again, buy what you want. I've had to use my knives from everything to slicing veggies to cutting my way out of plexi glass and it was a Strider knife that I owe that too.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    okay guys...no need to turn this into another "bash the knife company owner" thread.
    His bashing is without merit and facts.

Distinguished Member
    What we have here is a failyer to uze the spelchekker!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Here is my zombie knife.

Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I now consider this thread recovered.

the bigger benchmade the OP pictured seemed nice in the store, the grip is soft.

the bigger benchmade the OP pictured seemed nice in the store, the grip is soft.
    I didn't notice "moderator" on you screen name.

V8
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Yeah, another "Torque" test ? "it broke just as easy" ??? You mean taking a pair of vice grips and putting it into a vice and trying to break it ? Yep, any knife is going to break under those circumstances. What's your point ? Remember he had to bend the blade to 40 degree angle, not once but three or four times for it to break. Not bad in my book, and I certainly can't imagine an AUS8A steel like Cold Steel taking that kind of punishment.

If you don't want a Reeve/Harsey design then by all means don't purchase one.

Again, I can break any knife in half with enough torque. These videos you are supplying only prove one thing to me. DON'T PUT YOUR KNIFE IN A VICE AND TRY TO BREAK IT.

What your not willing to address is the testing done prior to the "torqueing" test. It chops wood pretty darn well, and that's more than I say for the Cold Steel that I owned years back while stationed at Bragg. It cut 500 lp strenght pretty darn easy after chopping wood too didn't it ?

Again, buy what you want. I've had to use my knives from everything to slicing veggies to cutting my way out of plexi glass and it was a Strider knife that I owe that too.
    Sorry you missed the point completely.
    The knife tests are "destruction" tests. The point, is to abuse the knife to a failure point, so yes you with enough time and energy can destroy anything. The point however is that other knives that cost much less have taken more abuse. The toughest knife test to date is a Busse. Yes they are expensive, but with these knives you get what you pay for. The Strider and Revee knives (especially the Revee knives) have broken much sooner than less expensive ones. So call it what you will, they all break, some just much sooner than others.

I never once said that Cold Steel knives are the greatest in the world. Actually in the past year my respect for their products have gone down. This comes after finding out that their Carbon V steel was nothing special at all. They were being made by Camillus who was using this same steel in some of their knives that cost much less.

I'm glad you are happy with the knives you bought and even more happy that you use them.

Any chance we could get a pic skygod, the Revee knives are some of the best looking I've ever seen.

I second this motion.

Benchmades are hella nice. I want a 151 Fixed Griptilian
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by V8 View Post
    Sorry you missed the point completely.
    The knife tests are "destruction" tests. The point, is to abuse the knife to a failure point, so yes you with enough time and energy can destroy anything. The point however is that other knives that cost much less have taken more abuse. The toughest knife test to date is a Busse. Yes they are expensive, but with these knives you get what you pay for. The Strider and Revee knives (especially the Revee knives) have broken much sooner than less expensive ones. So call it what you will, they all break, some just much sooner than others.

I never once said that Cold Steel knives are the greatest in the world. Actually in the past year my respect for their products have gone down. This comes after finding out that their Carbon V steel was nothing special at all. They were being made by Camillus who was using this same steel in some of their knives that cost much less.

I'm glad you are happy with the knives you bought and even more happy that you use them.

Any chance we could get a pic skygod, the Revee knives are some of the best looking I've ever seen.
    I'm just wondering why they are wearing masks in those tests ?

Seems to me if they are perfectly legit with no agenda then they'd be willing to unvail themselves for those tests. It leaves something to be desired. I noticed they used a smaller 4x4 in the Cold Steel knives than they did with the Strider and the Reeve/Harsey designs. On the other hand, they used some concrete with the Cold Steel...........

I'm in agreement on price. I have recently tested a K-BAR Mule Tanto folder that cost me all of $43.95 and I wouldn't hesitate to take it into theater in the current GWOT. No, you don't have to spend $300+ for a decent knife, but If you've got to rely on it with your very life, then I'm confident in both Strider and Reeve/Harsey knives perhaps to a fault.

I agree with one thing that the masked tester said about his chopping experience and that was "the steel that protrudes slightly from the grip plates out of the bottom wears on the hand" Yep, if your going to use a knife for chopping wood, your probably going to feel a sting in your hand regardless of what grip that particular knife has.

I've carried just about everything over the years. Buck, K-BAR, Emerson, Cold Steel, Gil Hibben, Benchmade, etc and I'm still sold on Micks knives and the Reeve/Harsey "Yarborough" and "Pacific" knife for fixed blades.

In a situation where your knife will become a tool for your very survival then any knife is better than no knife. I'd just rather have full confidence, through experience, on the knife I'm carrying than have to guess if V carbon is really that good of a blend of carbon and chromium compared to SV30.

I'll get some pics sooner or later. I just now got my first digital camera and have the software sitting on the table in front of me as I type this.

Here's two pics at Bill Harsey's shop. In fairness of full disclosure these pics are two from one of my buddies and his wife that served with 10th Special Forces Group (A) The first one is the "Pacific" knife and the second one Bill Harsey himself signing one of his folders for my buddies wife. You'll notice both the "Green Beret" and the "Pacific" in the second picture. One piece steel.

Cheers,
    Skygod
    Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links