I need a fixed blade Zombie/SHTF American made knife

This is a discussion on I need a fixed blade Zombie/SHTF American made knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My 20 year old, rusted and pitted, "Navy MK3" is ready for retirement and I need a replacement. I was seriously looking at the SOG ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a fixed blade Zombie/SHTF American made knife

I need a fixed blade Zombie/SHTF American made knife

My 20 year old, rusted and pitted, "Navy MK3" is ready for retirement and I need a replacement. I was seriously looking at the SOG Seal Pup Elite but, found out that they are being made in Taiwan....not interested anymore.

Sharp, strong, 9-12" range, made in USA and under a hundred bucks.

KA-Bar? Benchmade?

Pictures would be cool.

Aaaaaaand go.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher; if you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

2. Remove Ads

In order of preference (considering your criteria):
    RAT 7,
    something from Cold Steel, Cold Steel High Performance Knives
    Ka-Bar,
    something from the Ontario "Spec Plus" line.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    RAT 7,
    Ka-Bar,

Jesus, you would not believe how much time I spent researching knives since I read your post.

I am completely baffled and, apparently, I am now boycotting Ontario knives?!

Maybe I'm waiting for a "Rat Cutlery" RC6? I don't know.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher; if you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

Administrator
    Sorry to burst a bubble but, much of the Cold Steel line is not made in the U.S. anymore - CHINA.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    This one, All Randall knives are made in this country and are lifetime weapons. Owning one is like owning Excaliber.
    You can actually get one from Nordic Cutlery in CA.

Quote Originally Posted by distortion9 View Post
    Jesus, you would not believe how much time I spent researching knives since I read your post.

I am completely baffled and, apparently, I am now boycotting Ontario knives?!

Maybe I'm waiting for a "Rat Cutlery" RC6? I don't know.
    Oops, my bad...I completely forgot about the Ontario/Randall drama...If you decide to go that route, definately buy the one from Jeff, not from Ontario.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Busse Fusion Battle Mistress...

BussefFFBMtestpage

If you really want something that is especially tailored for Zombies, then find a Busse AK-47...
    "Nobody gets shot twice, until everybody that should be shot, gets shot once..."

The classic KA_BAR is second to none.
    Basic carbon steel that sharpens quickly with a good stone, very strong latterly, good for stabbing/slashing/chopping, not to mention a proven design for well over 50 years by people who understand what a true 'all purpose' knife requires.

Second choice would be a large properly weighted bolo.

Next time I break out my BOB it snap some pics.

YMMV
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

+1 on the ka bar knife. Decent, sharp steel. American made. And a real historical piece. Plus, the price point ($50-60). If you occasionally oil it and wipe the blade after each use, it should last you a lifetime (or more). Thats also if you use it for knife-related tasks only (its not a prybar, shovel, or throwing knife).

Also, you can get a Buck 119 Special for $35 at Wally World. Some of the knives there are the best deals around (i.e. Buck 110, 119, Spyderco Native S30V, etc). The 119 is no exception. Just got mine a few days ago, and I am in love with it. Sharp blade, decent steel (Buck's 420HC is no slouch), and perfect handle. Sheath feels a little cheap, but keeps the knife secure. I think I've just found my new camping knife ! !
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by JeffLrrp View Post
    +1 on the ka bar knife. Decent, sharp steel. American made. And a real historical piece. Plus, the price point ($50-60). If you occasionally oil it and wipe the blade after each use, it should last you a lifetime (or more). Thats also if you use it for knife-related tasks only (its not a prybar, shovel, or throwing knife).
    Well I can't tell you about the Ka Bar as a throwing knife (never learned that, as I don't understand the concept of throwing away a CQC weapon), but I Have used my Ka Bar as a shovel, pry bar, axe, food prep knife, screwdriver, and can opener which didn't work so well... but worked.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

TOPS all the way. They even advertise as 101% American made.
    TOPS Knives.com
    TOPS Knives.com
    Bleeding-heart reporter: “Do you feel that violence begets violence?”
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

+1 on TOPS. So many knives . . . so little money.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

benchmade nimravus model 140 141 or the cub (smaller) 145. I just went through the same shopping and ended with a 140. Its got 154cm steel, and I like how the blade is part of the handle, just with grips bolted to the sides like a 1911. The CUB can be had for under $100 but the others will run you about $120 new, small price to pay for your SHTF kit IMO.

Picasa Web Albums - Mike - guns

Product Details (Benchmade Knife Company - Premiere manufacturer of knives and rescue tools.)

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I checked Nordic's website he has a Randall #14 fighter in stock for about 50 bucks more than the Randall order price. This will last you a lifetime of tough use.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    RAT 7,
    Ka-Bar,
    I wouldn't buy anything from Cold Steel. There owner is an absolute jerk. Besides, his knives aren't the best in the world and he seems to have an attitude problem because no one in the military is backing his product.

If your not afraid to spend the money then there is only two peole that I would buy a fixed blade from.

1. Mick Strider. It doesn't get much better than his knives and soldiers, sailors, Airmen and Marines SOF forces have been a testment to his quality. You won't find better steel, or heat treatment. www.striderknives.com

2. Bill Harsey and Chris Reeve. Chris Reeve and Bill Harsey are the work horses in the fixed and folding blade knife industry. It's hard to compare Strider to a Harsey/Reeve knife. Both are using the best SV30 steels and heat treating. It really doesn't get any better than these knives, regardless of what anybody tells you. I might take an Emerson, but If I've got a choice then I take a Harsey/Reeve knife over just about anybody, except for may Strider and it's a close call there to be too finicky.

Look for the "Green Beret" knife. It is the same knife that is given to the graduates of the Special Forces Qaulification Course when they cross the stage to recieve their diploma. Its not a toy, it's a real deal tool.

Chris Reeve Knives - Optimum Quality, Optimum Performance

His "Pacific"knife was also made for 1st Special Forces Group and is available to the public under the name of "Pacific"

Chris Reeve Knives - Optimum Quality, Optimum Performance

I wouldn't look at any other knives.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links