Need help deciding

This is a discussion on Need help deciding within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok... I've narrowed it down to three and I need some opinons. Here they are: -Benchmade Vex -Boker Trance -Ka-Bar FIN(folder) I'm inclined to go ...

Thread: Need help deciding

Need help deciding

Ok... I've narrowed it down to three and I need some opinons. Here they are:

-Benchmade Vex
    -Boker Trance
    -Ka-Bar FIN(folder)

I'm inclined to go with the plain blade. Can someone please outline for me the advantage of the combo blade? Please comment on the above knives. All seem to be well made and have decent blade steel. I'm not looking to shave with this. Most of it's duty will be cutting open pellet bags, cutting zip-ties, rope, string, steak, and such. I try to use a knife as a knife and not as a screwdriver or prybar if it can be avoided but it can't always be avoided.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

2. Remove Ads

In the general utility sense, you may be happier with the combo edge. Zipping open feed sacks is hard on an edge, and serrations tend to deal with the job a bit better. You'll still want to touch up the edge, at the end of the day, but it will be at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bline View Post
    Ok... I've narrowed it down to three and I need some opinons. Here they are:

-Benchmade Vex
    -Boker Trance
    -Ka-Bar FIN(folder)

I'm inclined to go with the plain blade. Can someone please outline for me the advantage of the combo blade? Please comment on the above knives. All seem to be well made and have decent blade steel. I'm not looking to shave with this. Most of it's duty will be cutting open pellet bags, cutting zip-ties, rope, string, steak, and such. I try to use a knife as a knife and not as a screwdriver or prybar if it can be avoided but it can't always be avoided.
    Before I retired I farmed Hearty Kiwi. Always cutting sacks, twine, and other stuff. I found that the combo blade just worked best for my needs. Now that I am retired I fish a lot and, around my boat, I still find that the combo blade works best for me. Generally, rope needs the serrated edge for quick cutting.

So, for me, the combo edge provided the absolute most utility in day to day tasks.

As far as the brands you have identified I own knives in each. Good brands all but I would give the edge to Benchmade. Quality throughout!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

B52
    Go for the Benchmade.

It depends on your use I think. I carry a folder for "social purposes" and I carry a Leatherman tool for work duty.

I have an Emerson that I switch out with a CRKT.

The edge of your knife should only be used in emergency, IMHO. To me, a serrated edge would come in handy if freeing yourself or someone else from seat belts, etc.

A while back I carried a Cold Steel Voyager fully serrated and now have it full time in my glove compartment.
    Last edited by Benjamin9; June 27th, 2008 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Hiding in the light

Links