Tactical Folder - Suggestions?

This is a discussion on Tactical Folder - Suggestions? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All the aforementioned brands are good. I have Benchmades and have used my son's Kershaw. I have a Benchmade Stryker 905 with a 3.0 inch ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tactical Folder - Suggestions?

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

Any suggestions or advice? Serrations vs. partial serrations vs. plain edge? Brand?

All the aforementioned brands are good. I have Benchmades and have used my son's Kershaw.

I have a Benchmade Stryker 905 with a 3.0 inch blade. A Stryker 910 with a 3.7 inch blade is much nicer. Colorado's knife laws specify maximum blade length for a concealed knife to be 3.5 inches, although the knife law here does not distinguish between folders and fixed blades.

These knives go for around $100 if you can find them in an outdoor store. I get mine at a local Sportsman's Warehouse.

You mentioned "tactical folder". If fixed-blade is legal in your territory, my opinion is that fixed-blades are way more tactical than any folder, due to quicker deployment. There is the Benchmade "Instigator", a 3.25 inch fixed blade with kydex sheath, a cheaper alternative to the Strykers at around $50 in the store.

I prefer no serrations, but they do have uses.

2. Remove Ads

Ian, over at TPI, does great dremel and knife mods. I think if you contact him he'll work on your knives for a fee.

In this thread I showed what I did with a $30.00 Delica. Midsize knife and very fast to deploy with a little practice.

On another forum I posted the procedure, in moderate detail, on how to dremel out your own Delica or Endura. If anyone's interested on the how to's I'll post it here.

BTW, my knife work isn't as nearly as clean as Ian's. I kinda rushed through it so I could get the knife into operation. If you take the time the knife would look better than mine does. Same goes for my hairstyle.

joe/OH, are you trained with a particular system? Do you favor saber/forward grip or reverse grip etc? That will have a factor for your defensive knife choice.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Sabre grip? Reverse grip? I have no training so have no idea - other than playing with cardboard knives in the backyard.

I have settled on the Kershaw Boa based on some reviews I've read. I'll see how it feels today and may buy it. The wife likes the benchmade afck (axis lock version) so I'll buy that one for her as well.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Thumbs up Buck Folding Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    I am looking for a folding knife that I could carry with me 24/7. I don't believe OH has a size limit (or KY which is where I work) on the knife. Benchmade seems to have some good knives. Cold steel folders I haven't been impressed with - although their videos look pretty cool.

I have several small folders for utility purposes so this knife would really be strictly reserved for emergency situations. Budget in the area of $100.

Any suggestions or advice? Serrations vs. partial serrations vs. plain edge? Brand?

All feedback appreciated.

Joe

P.S. You guys aren't good for my growing paranoia. ;)
    Remember....it's never a question of whether or not you're paranoid. That's a GOOD thing. The question is.....Are you paranoid enough?

I carry a base level spyderco and happen to like a partially serrated edge, but it wasn't always like that. For many years....decades....I carried a good old fashioned Buck Folding Hunter. Rugged, innocent looking, common, and razor sharp from the factory. Holds a good edge. With a bit of careful practice on the "wrist flick" it's fast into action. The term "Folding Hunter" is there for a reason: For years I used this knife to field dress game as large as Elk. Just a thought...it's also fairly inexpensive. It won't kill your wallet for the term "TACTICAL."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

CRKT, from Wally World 25 bucks and worth it. I can't see myself paying 100 bucks for a knife. That is money for range time, rounds, or heck layaway cash for a new pistol.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

My usual carry is a Mini- AFCK from Benchmade. Good little knife, quick and most of all very secure in the hand. I Dremeled down the liner lock a bit for insurance, and rounded off all the edges on the G-10 scales to smooth it up some- it was eating my pockets alive.

I got my wife a CRKT Crawford/Kasper Small- she loves it (when she can find it...).
    http://www.cqcknives.com/columbia_ri...e_and_tool.htm

I like plain edges, no use here for serrations. I prefer an edge I can sharpen to suit me. Speaking of which, buy yourself a basic Lansky kit and save a lot of trouble for the next 20 years or so...
    http://www.lansky.com/products/systems/standard.html .

lpl/nc

I was in the plain edge camp for a long time - however I've changed my mind. For a utility knife, serrations have numerous benefits and will do things that a plain edge won't. I would also go as far to say that they are probably the most aggressive meat cutters - but I'm not there enough to get a completely serrated knife.

Check out the limited edition Spyderco Endura FRN waved folder. Two of my friends purchased them and are satified. They sell for $80 plus shipping.

Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Spyderco will be releasing a new folder, with removeable wave shortly. Pics available later today/-night, over on www.totalprotectioninteractive.com Contact Weapons forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    Spyderco will be releasing a new folder, with removeable wave shortly. Pics available later today/-night, over on www.totalprotectioninteractive.com Contact Weapons forum.
    If y'all haven't gone over there and looked yet, DO IT! it's worth your time. I'll definately be getting one of these when they hit the market.
    Last edited by KenpoTex; December 7th, 2005 at 05:00 AM. Reason: can't spell
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links