Tactical Folder - Suggestions?

This is a discussion on Tactical Folder - Suggestions? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a folding knife that I could carry with me 24/7. I don't believe OH has a size limit (or KY which ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Folder - Suggestions?

I am looking for a folding knife that I could carry with me 24/7. I don't believe OH has a size limit (or KY which is where I work) on the knife. Benchmade seems to have some good knives. Cold steel folders I haven't been impressed with - although their videos look pretty cool.

I have several small folders for utility purposes so this knife would really be strictly reserved for emergency situations. Budget in the area of $100.

Any suggestions or advice? Serrations vs. partial serrations vs. plain edge? Brand?

All feedback appreciated.

Joe

P.S. You guys aren't good for my growing paranoia. ;)

Assistant Administrator
    Joe, as I usually say - me no knife expert!!

I carry a Buck Mayo TNT but even that as a used purchase cost double your budget - so forget that - tho a nice knife, scary sharp but slow to employ.

What I personally want if affordable (around $100 IIRC) is a Kershaw BOA - buddy at shooting club gas one and it is fast - very fast to employ, like out the pocket deal!! His had serrations tho it matters not to me either way - but it was the speed of use that appealed to me.

There is a Baby BOA too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Boy howdy you thought guns were a lot to swallow... try knives!

Size is a personal thing. I tend to like the bigger ones. I hate serrations. Utterly worthless. I also like functional blade shapes for the most part and not tantos or recurves. Some exceptions exist of course!

Good brands? Spyderco Bechmade Ka-Bar Kershaw Buck Camillus SOG... and a whole lot more. There's a lot of good knives to be had.

My personal favorite at $100ish is the Spyderco Manix. I can tell you what I know and don't know about a given knife... I've gone through lots of them meeting this description. If you like Benchmade, pursue that angle. That's a quality brand. I even like their model 550.

I like to tell people new to this kind of knife to start with the Spyderco Delica or Endura, or the Benchmade 550 or 555. These knives won't break the bank, make good backups for say the car or your survival kit, are easily resold on EBay, and will give you a great idea of what you do and don't like. Guns are very subjective and knives are ten times more so.

I'm a Spyderco fan myself, but some people just don't like 'em. Sypdercos are kind of like the 1911 cult or the Glock cult... you're either a member or you're not!

I will tell you my favorites.

Currently I am having a love affair with a black bladed spyderco Military. It is super quick to open, very sharp, and the blade has a great shape.

I also like the CRKT model 21. This is just an M-16 with a clip point blade instead of a tanto. I like the clip better, as it's easier for simple tasks like cutting an apple or opening a box.

Another good one is the CRKT DOG LOCK. It is about my favorite CRKT of all time because of the stoutness of the lock, the blade, and the pocket clip, which allows covert carry.

Also, take a close look at the sog flash II assisted opener. It's light, fast, and opens faster than about any assisted opener out there. I have three of them.

It's also a good idea to have a spydie delica. They are tough, and can be had with VG-10 steel and a serrated blade for less than 50 bucks.

In fact, of all these knives I've mentioned, the only one that is over 50 bucks is the military, and several online stores can put one in your hand for around 97 bucks.

Try Phil Elmore, for instance. I buy my folders from him. www.themartialist.com

1952 - 2006
    I have a Spyderco "Police Model" and while a great knife, I found that it made a hole in the back pocket of my jeans. (a little too long).

My current carry knife (24/7) is a Benchmade Emerson CQC-7. I simply love this knife. It carries very comfortably, opens in a snap and holds an edge very well. If you can find one they are in the $100 - $140 range.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Lead Moderator
    all good suggestions. I carry a Kershaw Blur assisted opener. If legal in your area, would be like having a legal switchblade. $70.

Well I carry two, one is a Swiss Army Knife, general use. The other is normaly a Kershaw ken Onion assisted opener. I also have a SOG Trident, and if I can't carry a pistol I'll have both.

My only complaint about the Kershaw is the locking method. It's secure but not what I'd consider 100%. Then why do I carry it? It fits easy into my pocket.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Second the Boa. For general utility and SD, it has a lot to offer, for the $$.

Some good choices listed already. Some things to consider, one handed openers are a definite plus: Thumb studs, opener holes (ala Spyderco) Emerson wave mods, "assisted" openers. Blade length, profile, finish, locking mechanism, etc. are all going to come down to personal choice.

Do a search on Ebay for the brands you're interested in, I've come across some remarkable deals there. Ken Onion Kershaws, Emerson Commander or CQC, Benchmade (710, 806 AFCK or 72x series would be my personal choice), Microtech manual versions (or autos if you're allowed). All those are good knives and I wouldn't disadvantaged carrying any of them. Strider knives are some of the best but I doubt they're available in the price range you're wanting.
    Jack

If its not legal to carry a fixed blade I'd look at the Emersons with 'waves' and see if you can stretch to one of those.... or 'ghetto' wave a spyderco.

For SD serrations don't make much difference (IMHO)(YMMV)
    /***********
    Phill
    ************/

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate"
    William of Ockham (ca. 1285-1349)

'ghetto' wave a spyderco.
    +1 on that.

I've seen a lot of nice knives well over $100, but I wouldn't trade my Kershaw Onion for any of them.
    Picked it up a year or so ago at WallyWorld for $50.
    3 1/4" black blade, lock is perfectly secure, clips and rides nicely in front or back pocket, holds an edge well...and the thumb assist opening is extremely fast.

Thanks for the responses. I'm curious about the assisted openers. Are these spring operated? I like the SOG Trident and the Kershaw BOA, although would prefer a bit larger blade - at least close to 4". The Spyderco Civilian looks just plain wicked.

Anyone know if the assisted openers are cool in Ohio? I don't think there are any size limitations.

The Civilian is interesting, and a quick handler, but very much a "one-trick-pony". And the trick is the hook/slash. The grip dictates forehand grip, so no edge-in, pikal-style usage, and trying a stab would be pointless (no pun intended). And yes, I did actually own one!

The Keshaw system uses a spring in much the same way a S&W revolver does. The spring is retained in a recess in the scale by the liner. A small "tail" protrudes through the liner, and into a hole in the blade, offset from the pivot hole. The blade must be fully open for the spring to be tension free. The machining, bronze washers, nitrided blade, and consistent lockup put the Boa at the top of my list, and I'm a bit of a blade snob. I don't doubt SOG is good, and the other AO offerings from Kershaw are fine, but the work on the Boa was just superb. FYI: your city may be different, but per Kershaw, AO's are only a "problem" in MD, and DC, last I checked.

If you like the waved Spyderco idea, check this guy's Dremel work out:http://www.totalprotectioninteractiv...read.php?t=793
    The Skirmish is on my "will buy" list, and these mods were very well executed, I thought.

My last $.02; understated is frequently better. If you really like the 4" length, and it's legal, go for it. Bear in mind that 2.5-3" will reach anything in the human body, front to back, though.

I have a Benchmade Mini Griptilian that I really like. Perfect for everyday pocket clip carry. They also sell a not so mini Griptilian. I can open and close it with 1 hand and has an awsome blade. It has the Axi-Lock, check it out!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links