Pocket knife in New Jersey

Pocket knife in New Jersey

This is a discussion on Pocket knife in New Jersey within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it legal to carry a pocket knife in New Jersey? It seems that you have to have explainable lawful purpose to carry one?...

Thread: Pocket knife in New Jersey

Question Pocket knife in New Jersey

Is it legal to carry a pocket knife in New Jersey? It seems that you have to have explainable lawful purpose to carry one?

I wouldn't carry anything scary looking, but a normal folding knife should be fine.

I've been carrying a ka-bar dozier thorn knife in Jersey for a few years now, and even checked it at a courthouse (in NJ) once. No fuss, they gave it back to me when I left.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

I was patted down by an officer in Central NJ with an assisted spring opening knife, while drinking/BBQ'ing outside of my friend's house. (too much noise complaint and open bottles) He confiscated it and left. It was a Buck.

Buck Knife Platinum Rush 290PLT Assisted Open 1st YEAR - eBay (item 270250718667 end time Jul-06-08 17:30:00 PDT)

looked like that. It seems like an ordinary knife to me. But I guess spring opens are a no no.
    Heavily armed.
    Collection: Kahr CW9, M&P 15-22, Walther P22, Glock 19.
    Sold: XD9 4'', Kimber 1911 Series II compact, FNP-9
    Shopping list: Springfield EMP 9mm, M&P 15 .223

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Is it legal to carry a pocket knife in New Jersey?
    Good knife law links at Handgunlaw.us

Found this for New Jersey:

Summary: General folders OK. Single-edged fixed blades may be.

Max length: Under 18 may not possess knife with 5" or longer blade, or 10" or longer overall. No other apparent limitation.

Specifically illegal: gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, or ballistic knife "without any explainable lawful purpose" (i.e. an ill-defined exemption).

Manufacturers and sellers are not exempt.

Relevant laws: 2C:39-3.e 2C:39-9.d 2C:39-9.1 (Statutes, search for "knife" or "knives")
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomHDM View Post
    But I guess spring opens are a no no.
    If that were true, he could have arrested you and charged the correct NJ statute or local municipal ordinance prohibiting carry of your knife. I bet he just liked your Buck.

The disadvantage of knife laws over gun laws is that there are thousands more. Seems like every other city has a different maximum legal blade length...

The reason I'm asking is someone said her daughter was arrest for carrying a pocket knife and had to pay $2500 bail in NJ. http://chat.lawinfo.com/pocket_knife...13/index.html?

MY daughter was arrested Friday night for having a closed pocket knife in her pocket....this was slightly bigger than a swiss army knife...... No one was threatend with it it was not if view...... My daughter and neice were having one of their common verbal arguments when the police arrived. They were with 3 other girls also...they were all asked to empty their pockets and my daughter had a pocket knife and was arrested. She is out on $2500.00 bail.... Yes its the same amount as the nut in NY that belongs to the KKK and had a cache of firearms...... Whats with this....... Is this a mistake of some sort???? Input please??? Thank you!!! Cyndie
    I also checked State Knife Carry and Blade Length Laws but it doesn't seem to have straight answer.

Sponsored Links