Question about custom folders

This is a discussion on Question about custom folders within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a good friend who is really into knives and I want to buy him a nice one as a Christmas gift. The problem ...

Thread: Question about custom folders

Question about custom folders

I've got a good friend who is really into knives and I want to buy him a nice one as a Christmas gift. The problem is that I don't know a whole lot about who makes good custom knives (I've always just stuck to the Gerbers and Bucks).

I'm looking to spend somewhere in the $200 to $400 range, any help I can get (including links) would be great.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Here are some links to people who's designs I really like. Prepare to drool over the knives, and stroke over the prices

|||| Welcome to Blackwood Custom Knives ||||

Custom Handmade Knives by Pat Crawford

Elishewitz Custom Creations

BRIAN TIGHE OFFICIAL WEB SITE, Handmade Custom Knives,

And, this place sells knives from dozens of custom makers, you can search by the maker's name, knife type, etc. If you see someone who's style you like, try googling their name to find their actual company.

Arizona Custom Knives - A large selection of custom handmade and production knives
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Emerson knives aren't customs, but they are really nice, and in your price range

Emerson Knives
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; July 7th, 2008 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Added link.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Can I be your friend too?
    2nd recommendation for Arizona Custom. You can also register on BladeForums.com and look under the Knife Exchange-> Makers For Sale-> Folders

Quote Originally Posted by wagglebee View Post
    I've got a good friend who is really into knives and I want to buy him a nice one as a Christmas gift. The problem is that I don't know a whole lot about who makes good custom knives (I've always just stuck to the Gerbers and Bucks).

I'm looking to spend somewhere in the $200 to $400 range, any help I can get (including links) would be great.

Thanks!

The type of knife, and consequently any recommendation would be based on the intended use for the knife........can you give a little insight as to how you would see the knife being carried and used? Also, since he's a knife nut, does he have a preference of type, or does he carry/collect all types?

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    The type of knife, and consequently any recommendation would be based on the intended use for the knife........can you give a little insight as to how you would see the knife being carried and used? Also, since he's a knife nut, does he have a preference of type, or does he carry/collect all types?
    He's got all sorts of knives and I think that most would fall into the tactical category. He usually just carries them inside his pocket with a clip.

He's been a good friend for a long time and I just want to get him something unique. After looking at the links that I've gotten, I realize that I might have to spend more that $400, but I'm fine with that. I thought about buying him another gun, but he says he doesn't want anymore guns for a while.

He's got all sorts of knives and I think that most would fall into the tactical category. He usually just carries them inside his pocket with a clip.

He's been a good friend for a long time and I just want to get him something unique. After looking at the links that I've gotten, I realize that I might have to spend more that $400, but I'm fine with that. I thought about buying him another gun, but he says he doesn't want anymore guns for a while.

How about a high end, custom slip-joint? A regular 'ole pocket knife.....something that he can carry around just for daily cutting chores, not necessarily for fighting off the zombies.......

Here are two that I like. The first is one that I had commissioned for my Godson's HS graduation......knifemaker by the name of Mike Alsdorf. His knives are an absolute steal given the quality, most of his stuff is in the $250 range....... You can see more of his suff at Alsdorf Custom Cutlery Alsdorf Custom Cutlery . He was even good enough to include a little congratulatory note to my Godson.

Here's a second example....... I carry this along with my edc delica, just because I can. Todd Davison wharncliffe blade with Sambar stag scales. It's one of those few things in life that just makes me feel good every time I slip it into my pocket, or pull it out to cut a piece of string or sharpen a stick for roasting marshmallows. Only pic I have is next to my Seecamp, so pls forgive that......

Todd's contact info is: T.A. Davison Custom Knives

Good luck. Nothing a knife knut likes better than getting a new knife! Good on ya!

Thanks, I'll definitely check those out. As I said, he certainly doesn't "need" another tactical knife, I was just thinking about getting him something more unique than what you would see on a regular basis.

How do you like your Seecamp? I keep going back and forth on getting one but I don't see any real point in the .32 and have a tough time justifying the price for the .380.

Thanks, I'll definitely check those out. As I said, he certainly doesn't "need" another tactical knife, I was just thinking about getting him something more unique than what you would see on a regular basis.

How do you like your Seecamp? I keep going back and forth on getting one but I don't see any real point in the .32 and have a tough time justifying the price for the .380.
    I love the Seecamp. Not a .45, but it's tiny, accurate for it's intended use, and extremely well made. Like any other gun, there are limitations and you have to be aware of them and not try to make it do something it isn't designed for. There's never an excuse not to carry when I can just slip it in my pocket and go.

I have the .380 on order.........I had to.......my wife keeps stealing my .32!

IMO-unless your a collector the .380 has little over on the 32acp. Even Larry S uses a 32acp version.

I have had a few .32 and 2 .380 in my tests and others the gain is so small as to make it NOT worth the extra cash.

Actually, if I could get the Seecamp .380 for the MSRP I would get one. Everywhere I've seen them available is for several hundred dollars over MSRP.

Call Seecamp. 203-877-7926. Ask for Sandi.

It'll take a year, but the time passes, and you'll have the best little pocket .380 made.......I'm 5 months in right now.

BTW.....for $35 they'll give you a custom serial number of your choice, with a couple of limitations.

My .380 will bear the # "SEMPERF1"

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

BTW.....for $35 they'll give you a custom serial number of your choice, with a couple of limitations.
    Now THAT certainly sounds worthwhile. I suppose I can wait, I just REFUSE to pay 50% above list price for a gun that is still in production.

V8
    Not sure if it's your kinda thing or not but what about making him a knife. ( I guess you could say assembling) knifekits.com has a lot of nice kits available. You could spend a little or a lot. They have everything you could think of.

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php

Links