Anyone not carry a blade?

This is a discussion on Anyone not carry a blade? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Kershaw Chive mainly for utility purposes. Sure hope I don't have to use it for defense any day soon....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone not carry a blade?

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I carry a Kershaw Chive mainly for utility purposes. Sure hope I don't have to use it for defense any day soon.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Anyone not carry a blade?

Yes.
    Last edited by nn; July 10th, 2008 at 07:54 AM.

I can't carry at work, but can carry a blade less than 3in since it's not a weapon (go figure). Spyderco Calypso is pretty handy for opening packages, severing loose theads, and other utility chores. I'm more used to being without the pistol than being without the blade. While it's not my first choice for defense (that'd be a .45ACP), it's better than my bare hands.

I've never really wanted to carry a knife.

I carry one more for utility than defense.
    But I always have it with me, just in case the need arises

I keep a Case Butterbean in my left front pocket.

I use knives daily for a multitude of tasks, have for years. Pocket knives need to be able to provide utility as well as possible defense.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I carry two knives everyday and everywhere that there is no metal detector. I have a small Kershaw folder and a CRKT M-16. Both get used many, many times a day. If neither knife served any self-defense purpose, I would still carry them. The fact that either one could save my butt is just an added bonus. A very huge added bonus!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

Any number of minor tasks might require using a knife.

Carry one on me more often than my EDC. Potential use as a weapon but more often used for opening boxes and stuff.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    I wasn't big on carrying a knife either, I was never far from my Leather-man wave, the one with the blades that open w/o opening the whole thing.

while at one of my handgun classes, we did a drill on if someone tries to get at your gun, (no arguments about they shouldn't have seen it in the first place please, stuff happens) we were told to put our Strong hand on the gun and shove down into the holster would be the best way to secure it until you can gain enough space or control to deploy it. it also works if you are stuck using your strong hand to hold someone off, or are pinned against a wall or the ground and can't maneuver your strong hand.

What do you do. You draw your defensive knife from your weak side and use it to regain your ability to deploy your primary weapon.

The drill we ran was with one of the instructors (of course the biggest guy there) was made aware of our gun and attempted to gain access to it. We had a training folder to deploy and use against our attacker. A week after getting back home from this class, I had a dedicated folder clipped in my weak side back pocket, and to keep it factory sharp, I have another folder in my other back pocket for just cutting things.

No I don't carry a knife, I carry two.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

My knives are mostly for utility needs rather than defense. If you're carrying a Leatherman and are comfortable with it then I'd say the need for a utility blade has been met.

What I find REALLY surprising (and a bit distressing actually) is the number of folks who listed everything they carry and didn't include a spare magazine. Not to take the thread OT by any means but I never and I mean never walk out my door without my knife, gun and spare mag (or a speed strip if I'm carrying a j-frame).
    Jack

I carry so much crap on me I feel like Batman.
    Left front is for the keys and the surefire, Right front is for the snubby,watch pocket holds a speed strip, Left back wallet, Right back knife, belt leatherman and phone, and a HAK around my neck.

I might just brake down and get me a big man purse. i have too much crap to tote around.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by houndawg75 View Post
    I carry so much crap on me I feel like Batman.

My wife has looked over at me several times when "disarming" for the night, asked if I needed a utility belt for all that, or "Are you done yet?"

1 gun
    1 spare mag
    1 leatherman
    2 knives
    1 cell phone
    plus the usual: keys, wallet, watch ETC.

I weighed my carry gear, including belt and holster, 6lbs. Thinking back, I don't feel so bad about going to the Dr. now. Maybe I didn't really crest the 200 lbs mark at one point.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links