Anyone not carry a blade?

This is a discussion on Anyone not carry a blade? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am having trouble sorting out my pockets lately. I carry IWB. I also carry the following: Wallet, cell phone, keys, small leatherman knife(this is ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I am having trouble sorting out my pockets lately.

I carry IWB. I also carry the following: Wallet, cell phone, keys, small leatherman knife(this is so handy it's not leaving me).

I have been trying to sort it all out with a weak side(left) assisted open type knife that I have. I don't want to use a clip on type, want it in my pocket so as not to draw any attention. But then I also have to deal with keys, wallet(back right pocket), and my phone. I like to also just put my phone in my pocket. And I don't really want to put anything in my back left pocket. I realize I could clip the phone on my belt. Putting the keys, cell phone, and leatherman in my front right pocket is a huge bulge that is uncomfortable. Having more than one of these items in a pocket makes noise and isn't really desirable. I'm not as much looking for logistical suggestions, although they're welcome. This got me thinking...

Does anyone that packs a gun NOT carry a defensive knife? I sort of feel that the odds of someone needing to use their defensive gun are quite small. The odds of their gun failing, or having to get into a knife fight(while packing a gun) are much much smaller. Unless someone gets the jump on you and tries to steal your gun I don't see it being used....and carrying IWB concealed virtually eliminates this threat. The more I think about it the more I think it may not be needed. Of course needing it and not having it, I know I know.

Thoughts?
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

The knife is so far down in my defensive toolbox, it will likely never be used for that purpose. However I do carry a quality folder everyday.

Presently it is a desert sand Benchmade Griptillian with Black-T modified sheepsfoot partially serrated blade.

I have gotten away from tanto style blades lately as over the years I have found my knives to be almost exclusively used more as a utility knife. I have found almost any type of blade other than the tanto to be more suited for everyday utility purposes. These days I favor either a spear point, clip point or sheepsfoot shape blade.

I like the modified sheepsfoot blade of my Griptillian, especially for use at work as a paramedic. The blade tip is somewhat blunted, to be a somewhat safer blade for use around patients, but still pointy enough and strong enough to be used defensively.

One of my all time favorites was the Benchmade Stryker with that modified tanto blade, but I lost it on the job a couple years ago. I will replace it sometime this year but will more than likely with the spear point, now offered on the Strykers instead of the tanto.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Me. My city has an ordinance against them. I don't feel under-equipped because of it.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

This is what I do........wallet in right rear pocket. Keys in front left pocket with knife. Phone in right front pocket. Insulin pump on left hip. Extra mag on left hip behind insulin pump. EDC pistol on right hip IWB at 3:30. Sometimes Surefire light is in left rear pocket. This is how I do it.
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

You said that you really don't want anything in your left back-pocket, but I'd really recommend you consider that for the knife. Solves all your problems. The knife, clipped into the pocket corner (I prefer tip up carry) will be easily accessible, won't get in the way of anything else you carry and you'll never even know it's there.

As to not carrying a knife........I carry one because it's a useful tool that earns it's keep every day, not so much for any tactical reason.......

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    My city has an ordinance against them. I don't feel under-equipped because of it.
    Interesting . . . I was recently in Atlanta, and carried my folder in my back pocket every day. Stopped to ask directions from LEOs several times, and nothing was ever said. Hard to imagine they didn't notice the bright stainless clip.

OT-- if you read the Heller decision, Scalia clearly says that arms include anything that may be taken up in self-defense. This would include a knife, a Tazer, a baton, etc. I think there should be some challenges of knife ordinances. If the state considers me qualified to carry a firearm, the Heller decision seems to guarantee me the right to carry other weapons that are commonly used for SD.

To answer the OPs question -- I carry a blade daily (Spyderco Delica). When in jeans, it is usually in my front right pocket (back pocket if not CC). When in dress clothes at work, or trying to be a bit more covert, I carry it weak side inside my waist band at about seven o'clock. The clip is under the belt, so most people would never notice. It took a bit to get used to drawing left handed, but in this position I can actually draw the knife with either hand.

Another option, though it takes some work, is to have a knife pocket sewn inside your front pants pocket. I had some dress pants with a smaller hidden pocket on the right side, and they worked great for a discrete knife. I haven't ever gotten around to adding this small pocket to all my dress pants, but it would be well worth the effort.

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    As to not carrying a knife........I carry one because it's a useful tool that earns it's keep every day, not so much for any tactical reason.......
    The leatherman is my ultimate tool (Pliers, scissors, 4 screwdrivers, knife, bottle opener, wire cutters) I have an older version of this model with scissors in place of the corkscrew

I'll put the clip back on my knife and give it a try in my back left pocket.

FYI, I have both the Kershaw Onion Blackout:

And the Kershaw Onion Whirlwind:

I got them several years ago for their light weight and assisted opening capabilities. The clip goes on the opposite side of the picture and would place the tip down...not meant for left handed use in this manor, so that's a problem with these models. I wasn't carrying when I bought these so this wasn't a concern at the time. I guess I need a left handed knife if I'm going to clip it.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post

The leatherman is my ultimate tool (Pliers, scissors, 4 screwdrivers, knife, bottle opener, wire cutters) I have an older version of this model with scissors in place of the corkscrew

The clip goes on the opposite side of the picture and would place the tip down...not meant for left handed use in this manor, so that's a problem with these models. I wasn't carrying when I bought these so this wasn't a concern at the time. I guess I need a left handed knife if I'm going to clip it.
    Can't argue with the leatherman......they're a great tool! If I carried one, I'd be tempted to leave the knife at home. Problem is, I'm really a knife guy at heart and just don't get the same enjoyment carrying a leatherman that I do with a good knife. Wierd, huh?

A lot of clipped folders have clips that can be moved to either side to allow for individual preferences these days. If you end up with another knife (that's never a bad thing ) you might want to consider that option.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Can't argue with the leatherman......they're a great tool! If I carried one, I'd be tempted to leave the knife at home. Problem is, I'm really a knife guy at heart and just don't get the same enjoyment carrying a leatherman that I do with a good knife. Wierd, huh?
    I too love knives...but the knife actually isn't used that much on the leatherman...pliers, scissors, and screwdrivers get used more than the knife.

I carry a Leatherman Micra for everyday utility, but no defensive knife. I don't carry a defensive knife because I don't know how to use one... simple as that.

I have two Kershaw Leeks...one of them is always on my person. Just another tool...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry a Kershaw assisted opening folder clipped in my weak side from pocket. My CCW is on my left (strong) hip at 4:00. keys change and such are also in my Left (strong side) from pocket.
    I carry my knife everywhere, every day...I use it daily and can't stand not to have it on me.
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Put the cell phone in a shirt pocket. Clip a folder to a pants pocket or on your waist band. Carry pistol on belt. Keys in another pants pocket. Distribut the weight evenly. Get a GOOD BELT and holster. I don't use a leatherman. My knife gets used as a tool every day.

Semper Fi

My Baby!

Knives are extremely useful tools, but it is not a necessity. Like any other tool, you need to sort out your priorities and ask yourself if you are even trained to use the tool properly. If not, you might be doing more harm than good by pulling a knife before your pistol. With that said, the knife is an amazing back-up tool; it's easy to hide, and if you struggling hand-to-hand, it's going to save your hide (providing you have the training, wit, or time, to get to it.

I like the idea of having a knife on me, but typically I just have my leatherman tool. My list of probable events puts the knife as a SD weapon quite abit lower than many other weapons/tools. I feel that I get much more use out of my leatherman than I ever will the dedicated knife.

The funny thing about carrying a knife vs not carrying is both parties are right no matter their choice. Everybody has different priorities.
    Beretta 92FS

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links