Looking for an assisted knife

This is a discussion on Looking for an assisted knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking to get a new asisted knife, in the 75 to 150 doller range. any and all replys welcome....

Thread: Looking for an assisted knife

Looking for an assisted knife

I'm looking to get a new asisted knife, in the 75 to 150 doller range.
    any and all replys welcome.
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Kershaw Blur is $60 at Wal-Mart.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Kershaw Ken Onion Leek (assisted opener), well within your $$.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I love my SOG Twitch. Thin enough to be comfort in my jean pockets. Clip is mounted at the end of the handle so it disappears in the pocket instead of sticking out. Strong, holds a good edge, easy on the hand and easy to use.

do a search, there have been several threads on assissted openers in recent months.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

If you're looking to carry it on your right side then Kershaw is hard to beat. If you need a reversible clip go with SOG. If you want Chinese made crap try Gerber. If you can spend a bit more check out Benchmade.

SOG flash

Not an assisted knife per say, but I have an Emerson CQC Bowie. It is the best knife I've ever owned. I love it and its the fastest folding knife I've ever seen deployed. faster and simpler than an auto knife. I can't say enough good things about it.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

Check out Ebay. Some great deals on Camillus knives right now.

jp

SOG Flash II, you can get wither drop point or tanto blades, I have a tanto and love it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Anyone have problems with assisted opener's trying to open while clipped inside your pocket?

I had a Smith & Wesson assisted tactical knife that I constantly had problems flicking open inside my uniform trousers at work and poking me in the thigh. I finally quit carrying it after a month.

I have been very interested in replacing my old version Benchmade Stryker that I lost with one of the new Benchmade Nitrous Stryker. Mainly because it is available in a Spear Point instead of just the Tanto that the older Strykers but I have been reluctant to do so. After having a bad experience with a $30 assisted opener, I don't want to plop down over $100 only to have the same problem.

Anyone with any experiences or recommendations?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

That's because the S&W knives are chinese junk.

NONE of my SOG's have even thought about popping on their own, nor has any of the Kershaw's my friends have. None of us use the little lock on them either.

For reference, I have a SOG Flash2 and a Twitch2. I actually removed the little lock from the twitch so it's just a normal lockback. Neither of those two cost over $50, and they were picked up in person at Lowe's Hardware. You really do get what you pay for.

I know it's not an assisted opener, but really check out the SOG Visionary 1 or 2 - I just got my 2, and it's a hell of a knife. You can open it, and close it, extremely fast one handed. Unfortunately the camera's busted, but I'll do a review of it when i get a chance to.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

jeep45238...

Thanks for the response. I'm glad to know it was probably due to the brand of knife (S&W).

I was also somewhat comforted when reading about the Benchmade that the assistance of the Nitrous mechanism doesn't engage until the knife has opened past 30 degrees. Not really wanting an assisted opener but since the Stryker is now only made with the Nitrous assist, I'll have to settle. My old Stryker and presently my Benchmade Griptillian both open with just a brisk flick of the wrist upon drawing knife from pocket using just centrifugal force.

Now I'm really liking that SOG Visionary II! Looks like a very cool knife.

I do think I'll probably go with the Benchmade Stryker for now. Mainly because it is now made in D2 tool steel and also because of the partial serrated edge which the SOG does not have.

Not to say I won't be picking up one of them someday. I really like the looks of it.

Thanks for responding to my post! Much appreciation!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The Visionary 2 is one heck of a knife for the money - and it uses SOG's version of the Benchmade axis lock. Opens and closes just as easily as the benchmade versions, and is silky smooth. It'd be nice if they offered D2 or A2 versions of it, especially if they would do an assisted option.

The twitch and the visionary 2 both feel and work great, and are actual knives - the flash feels like it was made by mattell, and the lock engages on the plastic handels. The twitch and visionary both utilize metal for the lock portion, and both have steel liners.

Edit to add: I hate serrations with a passion. I'll take a nice plain edge with a very small amount of belly, or no belly at all, over serrations. The plain edge is easier to sharpen, and will do everything serrations will do if you know how to sharpen and use a knife properly. Especially with the premium steels, the edge just lasts and lasts and lasts.
    Last edited by jeep45238; July 14th, 2008 at 12:35 AM.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

My favorite knife in that price range is . . .

The Kershaw Boa. You can get them from between $100 and $115 street. It's one of Ken Onion's favorite designs. Besides having the Speedsafe with the index finger flipper it's one of the best knives I have for ease in using the thumb stud to deploy the Speedsafe. The thumb stud is reversible but is only on one side.

My primary carry is one of three Zero Tolerance knives (I have two 0300's and one 0302, I also own a 0200 manual which is sweet) but when I need to go lighter and a little smaller I reach for the Boa almost always. And I have over 50 nice knives.
    Last edited by Reeek; August 13th, 2008 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Typos

Links