looking for a good knife for butchering

This is a discussion on looking for a good knife for butchering within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; anyone know of a good knife ? I used my Gerber LST with 600 (steel?) it stayed sharp, and my Buck knife with 34 ATS ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for a good knife for butchering

Lead Moderator

anyone know of a good knife ? I used my Gerber LST with 600 (steel?) it stayed sharp, and my Buck knife with 34 ATS steel( went dull) , looking for a quality knife to process deer.

This may sound odd, but I've found that for butchering (deer and cattle), the inexpensive carbon steel Old Hickory knives work just fine. They're easy to sharpen and I think they hold an edge for a reasonable amount of time - though I'm sure that exotic steels probably do better. And, I can afford to have quite a few of them.

I use an old antler handled knife my Dad made a long time back (Before I was born). It's made out of spring steel I believe.

There's a Swamp Rat Howling Rat in the "Gear for Sale" area here. They use 52100 steel, it's good stuff and has a really comfortable handle. If I didn't already have one I'd be working a deal on it now. Hard to beat a high carbon steel for toughest and edge holding ability.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Go to a grocer/butcher supply store or a industrial type catalog and you will find some good quality knives for not a whole bunch of money. When I do up a deer or hog (I also used them in Maine for bear and moose)I have 8 knives that my wife and I use. We use them all for one animal and that saves on resharpening in the middle of the butchering job. We have several skinners and several of the bigger knives. Also a couple of knives that we can bone with. The brand that you want to look for is :::Forschner(Victorinox). I have the ones with the Fibrox handle. These are easy to hold on to when your hands are bloody or wet from water. The above brand is the ones that most professional butchers use. These knives don't come as a set so you can pick and choose the ones for your particular needs. These knives will last you a lifetime as long as you use them for butchering ONLY.---------

Forschner makes great knives, it's what I use in my kitchen. I was turned onto them by the Chef my mom worked with. Damned near the quality of Wustoff or Henckles but nowhere near the pricetag. Lots of vendors online too.
    Jack

I use a Cold Steel filet knife , as well as a voyager both in the med.size range. They both hold an edge extremly well

Lead Moderator
    thanks for the ideas. Will look into some butchers knives. The swamp rat looks a bit big for game processing.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    thanks for the ideas. Will look into some butchers knives. The swamp rat looks a bit big for game processing.

Just measured my Swamp Rat Howling Rat, the blade is 4.5" long and 3/16" thick. I had to give up hunting a few years ago but still carry mine fishing.
    Jack

Lead Moderator
    Not too bad of blade size, but I already have 4 hunting kinves and a few combat knives too. how does the Rat stand up to deer processing? I mean from back straps to neck and hindquarters. The whole deer?

The true test of a great game knife is the one that wont waste any tenderloin or backstrap,given the butcher does his job. Check out the Forschner website.---------

I was lookin' at my new Smoky Mountain Knifeworks catalog and noticed that they have a good offering of Forschner butcher's "style" knives. They have a website also.-------

Green River knives and Old Hickory Butcher knives. Chicago Cutlery makes good carbon steel knives as mentioned above, have several handy. When we butcher out moose, It is handy to haveseveral knives and folks cutting and usually one person just sharpens knives, stocks the fire, and cooks back straps.
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

I do not process my own deer. But I do gut and skin them. Of all the non custom knives I have used Buck, Puma, Gerber, Benchmade, the best for cutting and holding a edge for the entire job has been a Marble Arms. Great steel. But it needs to be taken care of. They are very prone to rust do to the high carbon steel, but I have never used a stainless that would come close in its ability to hold a edge.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Go to the Ontario Knives website and check out their line of butcher knives. They are great carbon steel blades and are very reasonably priced. I think there aren't any of them over nine to ten bucks.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links