5.11 Tarani C.U.B. (Curved Utility Blade) for Weak-Side Carry

This is a discussion on 5.11 Tarani C.U.B. (Curved Utility Blade) for Weak-Side Carry within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since Lima started her thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ded-tools.html I have been reading, evaluating and searching. About two weeks ago I came back across an article in the ...

VIP Member

Since Lima started her thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ded-tools.html I have been reading, evaluating and searching. About two weeks ago I came back across an article in the April 2008 issue of S.W.A.T. I don't normally read S.W.A.T., but a member mentioned an article in the April issue and I picked it up on my next bookstore trip. I read the mag and filed it away. Then while looking for something else I came across the article 5.11 Master and Journeyman Knives.

The article was a review of both models of the Tarani C.U.B. knives. After reading the article I went to Knifeworks.com to see if they stocked this knife. They did and placed order for a Journeyman model on Monday. The knife arrived yesterday.

I haven't had much time to do my own review of the knife, but from my carrying it yesterday and today I think it is now my weak-side knife. On my belt on the weak-side between the first and second belt loop I carry my cell phone and my NovaTac flashlight. On some pants the second belt loop is in the 7 o'clock position and on others the 8. If the loop is in the 8 position I place my spare mag behind it and I place it in front of the belt loop if it is at 7. I am carrying the C.U.B. at 9 with the knife inside the waistband and the clip over the pants. The loop sticks up just above the waistband and is very easy to grab.

The knife was pretty tight when I first tried opening it, but I have been working it and two things have happened. One, I have gotten better at opening the knife left handed and two, the use has made the blade open smoother and with less stiffness. I really like the way it handles and the grip fits my hand well.

When my wife gets home I'll add some photos of it in my hand and on the belt.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member

Additional Photos

As promised here are a couple more photos.

George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I know this post was done several weeks ago, but no one has commented on it. It looks like a great weak side knife & I like where you put it.

So, I have 3 questions about it.

1. Is the Journeyman the one with FRN scales, but textured like G-10? If it is, it sure looks like they did a great job with it. I believe the steel is 154CM compared to the Master version's S30V, so you still have great knife steel there.

2. My complaint of Emerson's kerambit is the hole is too small for my fingers, how's the hole on the Tarani's?

3. Now that you've had it for some time, how's the action now? Is it still a great IWB knife?

I want to get a Kbit, & am seriously thinking about getting one of the 5.11 Taranis, so I take it you'd highly recommend it still, now that you've had it for awhile?

Thank you in advance for your answers & not a bad review for being short. But your reviews have always been excellent anyways.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

this looks really nice. i'm a fan of 5.11's tarani knives.

my only problem is that i can't imagine this being easy to open with my weak hand.

how difficult is it? can you deploy it pretty quickly?

I also just picked up a Journeyman model, I had orginally ordered the Master but it was out of stock so I modified my order. The Master has a metal "backbone" with the scales attached to either face. The Journeyman is all FRN except for the screws, lock & blade and clip. The ring is very generous - I can fit my thumb through it (the first knuckle). With a little exercise & lube, the blade moves easily enough - for me, weak hand opening is possible but not "snappy quick". Weak handed I have been able to depress the lock release & flip the blade in place as a one handed operation, or if I anchor the grip with my little finger I can thumb the blade into it's locked position. If the grip wasn't so light, you could open it by just gripping the blade back & flipping the grip down a bit - I imagine it would be very doable with the heavier Master model.

Nick

Why not take a ziptie, thread it through the thumb hole, and trim it short with the nub sticking staight up. Instant ghetto-wave.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    I know this post was done several weeks ago, but no one has commented on it. It looks like a great weak side knife & I like where you put it.

So, I have 3 questions about it.

1. Is the Journeyman the one with FRN scales, but textured like G-10? If it is, it sure looks like they did a great job with it. I believe the steel is 154CM compared to the Master version's S30V, so you still have great knife steel there.

2. My complaint of Emerson's kerambit is the hole is too small for my fingers, how's the hole on the Tarani's?

3. Now that you've had it for some time, how's the action now? Is it still a great IWB knife?

I want to get a Kbit, & am seriously thinking about getting one of the 5.11 Taranis, so I take it you'd highly recommend it still, now that you've had it for awhile?

Thank you in advance for your answers & not a bad review for being short. But your reviews have always been excellent anyways.
    1. The Journeyman is the with the FRN handle. As nikdfish stated they are not scales, but the full handle. The backlock is the only metal other than the screws in the handle. That said there is very little flex in the handle.

2. The hole on the Tarani is generous to say the least. I have average size hands and the 1" diameter hole is big enough to put my thumb through.

3. The action is very smooth and I can easily open the blade with my weak hand. It is not as fast as opening it with my right hand, but with practice it will continue to improve. I carry it IWB everyday and the clip holds it to the pants very well. I have not had it slip at all. I have found a very comfortable place for it to ride and haven't found it uncomfortable during any normal activity.

I do still highly recommend the 5.11 Tarani C.U.P. I may yet buy a Master version, but I plan to carry the journeyman for several more months before I decide whether to invest in the Master. I'm not sure that I need the additional strengthening that the steel ring liner provides. I'm sure that you will be pleased with the Tarani no matter which model you choose.
    George

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruertar View Post
    this looks really nice. i'm a fan of 5.11's tarani knives.

my only problem is that i can't imagine this being easy to open with my weak hand.

how difficult is it? can you deploy it pretty quickly?
    I am still learning to use the Tarani from the weak side, but it is getting easier. It is just a matter of practice. I have practiced deploying it and find that getting my little finger in the safety ring is easy and the knife will almost position itself correctly in my hand.

Opening the knife has gotten easier with practice and the action has gotten quite smooth. The tension is adjustable so I could make it easier if I needed to.

I am very pleased with the Tarani and for me it appears to be the best solution to having another weak side option. I have a KA-BAR TDI, but have never found a way to make it fit with the other items I carry. By carrying the Tarani IWB the space required for it is about the width of the clip since the ring sits high enough to grab even with a phone and flashlight outside the belt and partially covering it.
    George

I am glad you are sharing this information on the 5.11 Tarani. I cannot carry the KA-BAR TDI as it is illegal to carry a fixed blade knife where I live . I was looking for a weak side tool to carry opposite my G26 or my Charter Arms Bulldog .44 special (wintertime gun) or a J frame Smith. Now my search is over!
    God bless our troops!

Links