Well, for some reason, I just ordered a Emerson Karambit folder! - Page 2

Well, for some reason, I just ordered a Emerson Karambit folder!

This is a discussion on Well, for some reason, I just ordered a Emerson Karambit folder! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Keep us updated on how it works out, K Tangle? Also, what's a good source for Kerambit trainers and roughly how much do they cost? ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well, for some reason, I just ordered a Emerson Karambit folder!

Keep us updated on how it works out, K Tangle?
    Also, what's a good source for Kerambit trainers and roughly how much do they cost?
    I went out to Emerson's site, saw the Combat Kerambit .... WOW!!! I'd rather have that than the LaGriffe! Why do I keep finding so many toys? It's just not fair I tell ya'!
    Jack

Maclean:

www.takknife.com

or

www.karambit.com

John at TAK makes AWESOME trainers for around $50.00

where you can get a cheap karambit trainer from Karambit.com for around $11.00
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    It came in yesterday afternoon. I can definitely see that I need to be careful with it. The temptation to twirl it around a finger is just almost more than one can resist.

Seriously, dont. I have 8 scars on the bottom of my right forearm from twirling the karambit at work and not paying attention. I guess I never learn?
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    Keep us updated on how it works out, K Tangle?
    Also, what's a good source for Kerambit trainers and roughly how much do they cost?
    I went out to Emerson's site, saw the Combat Kerambit .... WOW!!! I'd rather have that than the LaGriffe! Why do I keep finding so many toys? It's just not fair I tell ya'!
    Jack
    Here's the best price I found on the Emerson Karambit folder:

http://www.tadgear.com/edged%20tools/emerson_knives.htm

I didn't see a trainer at tadgear, but Emerson makes one and has them for sale on the Emerson website, but he's kinda pricey.

They do open coming out of the pocket; you almost can't stop them from opening, so be careful if you get one.

I have an Emerson CQB with a liner lock. It's never failed me.

I'd opt for a trainer to go along with the videos. it will spare you a few explanations as to why you don't have fingertips.

Mike

These Karmabits are excellent choice for self-defense, scary sharp too. My suggestion is to purchase the trainer also, but they are currently out of stock for roughly just under three months. If you want a trainer then order it now beings many already have done so.

Trainer can be located here for $106 last time I checked
    Emerson trainer knifes

Lastly, much of the advance level training on the Karmabit CD set is dual knives although you can easily adapt to one knife with empty hand.

PS I own two Emerson Karmabits and two trainers.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

neck knives/small fixed blades

Tangle:
    I'm not sure what I think of the folding Kerambit, please give it a review when you have the chance. I do think the Emerson La Griffe and the Spyderco Merlin are interesting designs and I've considered getting both from time to time but other things always came up.

I don't much care for any of the neck knives I've tried (at least when carried as intended), mainly due to printing and comfort factors. I'd like to find a good, small fixed blade for weak side IWB carry - something like Benchmade's Nimravus Cub, the CS Urban Pal (?), or Strider's skeletonized necker (model?) but maybe Emerson's La Griffe deserves another look? The problem is the murky State Laws regarding knife regulations, I know there's no autos or double edged "daggers" allowed but other than that it gets confusing.
    Jack

i had the same problem with neck knives, 'til i bought a HAK, the straight edged model. frontsight recently began offering utility models made from 440 steel, for under $100, although up to $200 is fair, since they're custom fit. really, the HAK is THE best neck knife i've ever carried.
    if you're looking for a smaller fixed blade, try spyderco. they have one by bill moran (actually, two models) for under $100. another, the kumo, has an overall length of under 9", and goes for under $200. the vagabond is under 8", and about $40. also, CRKT has a bunch of smaller fixed blades, for decent prices.

the 'wave' feature on karambits

Well, the wave feature "snags" the edge of the pocket during the draw and opens the knife for you (is that what you meant?). My question is, if these hooked blades are designed to be used in reverse grip, what good is the wave on the spine of the knife? It's only going to work if drawn with a "normal" grip - at least it seems that way.

I'd forgotten you were in Chattanooga, is concealed fixed blade carry a legal option here?
    Jack

these knives can be used in the foreward or reverse grip. so if you use it in the forward grip, all you have to do is draw slightly back from your pocket to snag the 'wave'. i'm pretty sure the clips are reversible, so if you want to deploy it in the reverse grip, just reverse the clip. as far as legalities, i think karambit type knives are legal in most places (except pennsylvania), because they are generally under 3", and can't be used for stabbing, which is why most other knives have been criminalized.

Senior Moderator
    Adding to the previous post, if that's ok, the wave actually does two things: it provides a legal, fast, automatic means of opening the kinfe. And two it provides a serated ramp to rest your thumb on for a better grip and control etc.

If the Karambit is clipped with the finger hole up and out of the pocket - great for a reverse grip draw. Reversing the clip only changes the clip to the other side of the knife. But when reversed (other side) the knife opens in a normal grip, but it's a little harder/slower to do, esp. under stress.

Actually, I've about quit carrying it. It may not "stab" well but it is intimidating. I realized that when I saw my wife's face when she saw the knife open in my hand. I just wonder how well it'd go over with a jury after seeing a man slashed to pieces with this special, martial arts looking weapon.

I pretty much carry an Emerson Commander in my front right pocket and a Strider/Buck/Tarani Police Utility knife in my rear pocket - it's about as intimidating as the Karambit.

BTW, did I mention I took Edged Weapons I & II from Steve Tarani - he, of course is the Tarani in the the Strider/Buck/Tarani.

Seems I remember Betty saying something about Hawkbill knives being illegal here in TN but I can't find that reg. listed anywhere. I'm still carrying my framelock Benchmade 750SBT as my primary EDC knife with an 806SD2 as a part-time BUG. Been carrying them long enough that it's second nature now.
    Jack

Senior Moderator
    Seems I remember Betty saying something about Hawkbill knives being illegal here in TN but I can't find that reg. listed anywhere. I'm still carrying my framelock Benchmade 750SBT as my primary EDC knife with an 806SD2 as a part-time BUG. Been carrying them long enough that it's second nature now.
    Jack
    Hmmm...I wasn't aware of that, but I'd sure like to know if a hawkbill is illegal in TN. It wouldn't surprise me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links