What I Don't Like About CRKT Knives

This is a discussion on What I Don't Like About CRKT Knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over the past six months, I've become really down on CRKT knives. Actually it's the blades I don't like, not the rest of the knives. ...

Thread: What I Don't Like About CRKT Knives

What I Don't Like About CRKT Knives

Over the past six months, I've become really down on CRKT knives. Actually it's the blades I don't like, not the rest of the knives.

In fact, I wrote them yesterday, not that I think they'll listen, but I had to find an outlet for my frustration.

First, their wretched chisel grind blades with bevels on the left side, which make them a bear for right-handers like me. Not long ago I went out and got some wood, then set out whittling just to see how well some of my knives cut. All of my V-grind knives cut like champs. No problems—nice, precise cuts. Even my "control" knife, a cheap Maxam, cut fairly well. My CRKT Desert Cruiser, however, was abominable. The wood kept sliding all over the bevel and I had to use sharper angles to bite into the wood. Fine for cutting out large chunks, but lousy for just stripping off bark. In fact, it was quite frustrating.

My other knives, Cold Steel Voyagers in 4- and 5-inch blades did a fine job of cutting everything, but then, they always have been fine cutters. They also sharpen practically by staring at them! My little Spyderco Native also did a great job. In fact, it's point made wood work quite easy in that it could easily dig out pits and knots in the wood. The Desert Cruiser, however, only did well when I shifted it to my left hand. I'm not a southpaw, but the knife did a fine job when I used it as a left-handed knife. When using it right-handed, the beveled portion of the blade would slide along the wood without ever biting into it, except using sharper angles.

Another thing I don't like about CRKT is that for all their chisel grind knives, you'd think CRKT's Slidesharp knife sharpener would work on their own knives, but nay, the little plastic guides are all designed for double-grind blades! Sharpening the CRKTs is easy enough, but one is better off just using a medium ceramic stone. The odd thing is, CRKT reps have told customers to sharpen their chisel grind knives as they would a double, or v-grind. I actually tried this to see what would happen and the knife's angles shifted so much that the blade became almost unusable.

I also had an old Winchester 1335 folder, which was about the second or third locking folder I ever owned. It has a heavy handle and a cheap "surgical stainless" blade with a chisel grind, but the grind was on the right side of the blade. When I used that knife to cut the same wood bark off the branches, it cut much easier and much more efficiently than my Desert Cruiser. To me it's obvious, having a chisel grind on the right side of the blade is better for right handers and having it on the left is better for southpaws.

My only other gripe with the knife is that the AUS8 steel used in CRKT's knives tend to be softer than that used by Cold Steel and others. I have an M21-04 CRKT that is one of my favorite knives. I also have three or four of their titanium knives, which are gorgeous, but have CG blades and bumpy serrations.

Has anyone else had similar issues with their CRKTs?

CRKT Desert Cruisers, gold and silver. Note the serrations
    and the chisel grind blades. Imagine stripping bark from a
    branch using your right hand to cut with.

This is the old Winchester 1335. The bevel is on
    the right side of this knife, which was designed
    for right-handers.

The CRKT M21-04 is a great knife.

2. Remove Ads

I just got a CRKT M16-13SF yesterday. I was coming to post some impressions about it and saw this post.

I really like the knife. It is light weight, sized perfect for carry(many sizes to choose from, I picked wisely), and is smooth as silk.

I have three gripes about the knife.

Minor gripe #1: Loostening the blade tension screw shifts the tip of the blade to the side. If you make the knife nice and loose for easy opening, the blade rubs against the side of the channel it sits in. Luckily enough I am ok with it a little tighter than the point at which it rubs, but this is a design flaw.

Minor gripe #2: This knife will pick up a lot of lint in my pocket. This is due to all the holes in the handle. This is merely cosmetics, which I really like the looks of, but it will require a dust-off every few days to prevent buildup.

Major gripe: The blade is quite dull. I was really dissapointed when I first opened the knife and tried to cut a little shaving off my fingernail. When I spend good money on a knife I want it SHARP. Now I have to sharpen it. I also don't like the single bevel. Again, I think this is just for cosmetic reasons. Scares me to see what is going to happen when I sharpen it. Perhaps I'll have a professional do it or something.

I am carrying it on the weak side, tip up. You can get the CRKT knives in several flavors with the flipper opening. I got the one with the double flippers that serve as a full hilt when open. I chose this model because you can pull the knife backwards as you take it out of your pocket(tip up), and the flipper catches on the back of your pants and pops the knife open. The catch is that you can only do this with the double flipper model. The flippers are really long on this model, and the blade side flipper can catch on the inside of the pocket and slow(or prevent) a quick draw of the knife. Oddly enough you can get the knives with one flipper but it is only available on the blade side of the knife which doesn't allow for this pocket open technique.

I wish they made this model with just a single flipper on the back side of the blade. This way it can be used for pocket draw, and the other flipper isn't in the way to slow the opening.

Only had the knife for a day, but generally I like it. I just really want to get it sharpened...
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Love mine..
    "If you don't have any guns and someone breaks in, what are you going to shoot them with?"
    -Dale Gribble.

Where do bad folks go when they die. They don't go to heaven where the angels fly. Go to a lake of fire and fry, see them again 'till the Fourth of July

CRKT knives

The chisel ground blade was designed to penetrate,not whittle wood. Might try the Spyderco system to sharpen the knives. Works with any style blade.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    I just got a CRKT M16-13SF yesterday...The blade is quite dull. I was really disappointed when I first opened the knife and tried to cut a little shaving off my fingernail. When I spend good money on a knife I want it SHARP. Now I have to sharpen it. I also don't like the single bevel. Again, I think this is just for cosmetic reasons. Scares me to see what is going to happen when I sharpen it. Perhaps I'll have a professional do it or something.
    Fortunately, sharpening the knife is easy because only one side is sharpened (don't sharpen the other). Take a ceramic rod or sharpener, and, holding it steady, try to whittle it as you would a piece of wood, but at an angle matching that of the blade. You'll find that you raise a slight burr that can be easily removed with a light swack of the sharpener. It will be sharp, but will not hold the edge very long. The knife comes with a good working edge and does not take a scary sharp edge very well at all. Also, the sharpener will leave marks on the beveled area, so use a fine ceramic as a last step.

As far as the knife's balance, the main pivot screw can be loosened, but you shouldn't have to do it to get a quick opening. None of my CRKTs have been difficult to open and they do so quite decisively. Try a drop of good lubricant, but don't let the blade rub against the side of the frame.

Cutting with the knife will be a pain unless you're left handed. CRKT really screwed the pooch when it came to putting a chisel grind on their knives with serrations. Try an M21-04 next time. It has a double grind and is a good knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Blademan21 View Post
    The chisel ground blade was designed to penetrate,not whittle wood. Might try the Spyderco system to sharpen the knives. Works with any style blade.
    I do have the Spyderco sharpening system and the angles are all wrong for chisel grind knives. The best way to sharpen the CG knives is to take the ceramic rod out of the device and sharpen it by eyeballing the angle. One user also said the Spyderco system was okay to use, but to put your wallet under the left side of the sharpener. That, he said, would tilt the rod to a more correct angle. Now that I've learned how to sharpen a CG knife, I find it easy. I still don't like the way it cuts, though. Even as a weapon you want to have the ability to slash. A double grind is clearly better.

CRKT knives

[QUOTE= A double grind is clearly better.[/QUOTE]

Not to sound rude my friend,but you should have known the physics of the chisel grind before you bought it. Yes a double grind may be better in most applications,as I said before the chisel is a powerful blade designed for penetration. Or cutting veggies

CRKT=Great quality pared with great pricing. I don't whittle.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Mo
    I'm not at all a fan of the autolawks system. I'm spoiled by good frame lock knives like my Kershaw leek - even a sturdy lockback like my Spyderco Harpy is easier to close one-handed.

They have some nifty designs though.

With a little practice, I can close the autolawks knife weak handed without hesitation...
    "If you don't have any guns and someone breaks in, what are you going to shoot them with?"
    -Dale Gribble.

Where do bad folks go when they die. They don't go to heaven where the angels fly. Go to a lake of fire and fry, see them again 'till the Fourth of July

the only CRKT knives i own are fixed blades; one is the Ryan Model Plan B (discontinued), one is the Falcon, and the last is the ultra tacticool, standard mall ninja issue Hissatsu. the only thing wrong with any of these knives has nothing to do with the blade; it's the sheaths i don't care for. they're rather flimsy, and awkward. i think i'm going to make my own. the knives themselves, however, are very good, at a fair price. i'm with you on the chisel grind thing, though. it's the only thing that's kept me from buying an Emerson; as much as i want one, i hate chisel grinds on a knife.

Links