Have You Considered The Blackthorn ???

This is a discussion on Have You Considered The Blackthorn ??? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am not quite 60; but somewhere around 59.95. I've been around various weapons, professionally and otherwise, for the past 30+ years. Not quite 3 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have You Considered The Blackthorn ???

I am not quite 60; but somewhere around 59.95.

I've been around various weapons, professionally and otherwise, for the past 30+ years. Not quite 3 years ago, I took up the hickory cane for self defense, primarily as an exercise program. I have come to value the cane as a self defense tool; understated but highly effective. I had a history of carrying various knives as backup, but found the cane to be somewhat superior. There are times when I carry both.

I recently was introduced to the Blackthorn walking stick. The wood from this stick comes from Ireland and is somewhat legendary there. It's strength rivals that of hickory and it is much lighter and more maneuverable. The wood has thorns that are trimmed down in the walking stick manufacture process. In some cases these thorns are completely sanded down in a cane making process, leaving a smooth finish on the wood. Either way the implement is remarkable.

I have collected four of these walking sticks from a 7/8th inch diameter walking stick that is simply fast as lightening, to a 1 1/2 inch diameter walking stick that is somewhat heavier. I have one smooth stick and three with the trimmed thorns. The sticks 1" or greater are used in Irish stick fighting. My collection continues.

For anyone who might be interested, I am enclosing a link. The company is LollySmith and they have shown me that are are a quality supplier and have very responsive customer service. I have no connection to this supplier, other than as a customer, but I am very pleased with them. They have a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee.

In the quest for a good backup or for those who may decide to carry a walking stick for any reason; it is my conviction that you simply can do no better than the Blackthorn.

It is definitely worth your consideration.

IRISH BLACKTHORN Pug's Ugly Walking Sticks

Blackthorn

Some years ago Cold Steel carried some real nice Blackthorn walking sticks. I bought one for my father. He is 5'5",so I had to cut a couple inches from the tip to fit him. It has a huge burl for a handle. These upper grade sticks are long gone form Cold Steel. As I get older I may have to get one for myself. Thanks for the link.

VIP Member
    Im Ireland my Uncle always had one and kept it with him when he walked the dog. He had no training but he was well able to use it when the need be. He also let me know he had it when I acted up.

Sounds like something that could accompany you on an airplane?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've dabbled with a little bit of stick/cane fighting, mostly using the Fairbairn and Sykes methods. At the moment, the cane I use is an innocent looking crook-top cane made from hickory.

The blackthorn sticks are really neat...lots of character. Every time I see one, I think of that scene from The Longest Day where the scottish dude bashes the jeep (or whatever it was)

Thanks for the link.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

So far, so good; I've never been challenged carrying one; however where ever I go, I generally observe the rules of proper etiquette.

Blackthorn

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This past March my wife and I went to Europe. I carried a City Stick with the pistol grip. After landing in Germany I was questioned by the local airport ploice. Claimed it could be used as a weapon. I replied that so could my ballpoint pen or a bar of soap in a sock. On my way I went. Never had a problem after that in the two weeks of travel . A Blackthorn would have never had a second look,IMO.

Mine is close to the Mac Dara, but with a more balled head. I looked at quite a few to get it.

Cold Steel is selling blackthorn walkers again, but they're now made old the same plastic they make their other clubs and sticks with.

IRISH BLACKTHORN WALKING STICK

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    Cold Steel is selling blackthorn walkers again, but they're now made old the same plastic they make their other clubs and sticks with.

IRISH BLACKTHORN WALKING STICK
    I definitely find that the sticks in my collection are superior to plastic. Cold Steel makes some interesting items, no doubt; but if you compare the CS version with the authentic item, I believe that you will agree.
    Justice will be achieved when those who are not affected by crime become as indignant as those who are.- King Solomon

Blackthron

Quote Originally Posted by texasboy View Post
    I definitely find that the sticks in my collection are superior to plastic. Cold Steel makes some interesting items, no doubt; but if you compare the CS version with the authentic item, I believe that you will agree.
    Nothing like a real woodie.

Quote Originally Posted by Blademan21 View Post
    Nothing like a real woodie.
    Now that is funny, I don't care who you are!
    God bless our troops!

Just picked up one of the Cold Steel Blackthorns for $45 at the gun show today. If it hadn't been for this thread I wouldn't have given it a second look. (Also got an M1 Garand, but that'll be another thread after I take some pictures.)

It'll be handy for my nightly walks around the neighborhood. Not real wood, but should be durable and sufficient for the task. Never know when a killer rabbit might attack . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I got one of the new Cold Steel plastic ones -- wanted a real one, but didn't have the earlier link in this thread.... anyway, the Cold Steel thing is big and fat. Would definitely make a formidable club.
    May go ahead and get a real one, but the Cold Steel I don't really have to care about, it does seem absolutely unbreakable.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I ordered my Irish Blackthorn Pug Ugly Walking Stick yesterday. Her name is 'Finnegan's Wake'. Can hardly wait till she gets here.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links