SOG Visionary 2

This is a discussion on SOG Visionary 2 within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The MSRP is 160 for the SOG Visionary 2 - NO you don't have to pay anywhere near that amount. Let's begin with the lock. ...

Thread: SOG Visionary 2

SOG Visionary 2

The MSRP is 160 for the SOG Visionary 2 - NO you don't have to pay anywhere near that amount.

Let's begin with the lock. It uses the Arc lock - for those of you who are familiar with Benchmade knives, you've heard of the Axis lock. This is pretty much the same thing, just a knock off concept. The lock is made of a bar that is moved on a track via a perpendicular bar that goes through the steel reinforcements of the handle, and is held against the blade with two springs. This allows you to open the blade extremely fast by holding the lock back a bit, and also allows you to close the blade without putting your finger on the blade, or in it's swing path. The action is very smooth, and the lock itself has held 1000 pounds without failure. That's strong enough for me.

The blade is shaped off of the SOG Spec elite, which is clip point design, and utilizes VG10 for the blade steel. It takes an exceptional edge, and is drastically more wear and impact resistant than AUS 8. While some say it doesn't sharpen as easily, I disagree (that may also be because I maintain my edges daily). While it may take longer, the bur that exists does not fight you and continually flip sides. It's much easier to sharpen, but will take longer to do so if you neglect the knife. The serrations on the thumb ramp are pretty nice - aggressive enough to be useful, not so aggressive it tears up clothing and your hands in use. The length is 3.75 inches, while the SOG Visionary 1 uses a 3" blade.

The handles are zytle plastic clad steel, which houses a reversible clip for carry at the end. The knife carries point up, and is easily switchable from left to right and back. Construction is of torx screws throughout except for the clip, which is a phillip's screw. It is incredibly thin, but fits your hand pretty good (at least my size medium hands). The handle is based off the SOG XRay Vision series, and is fairly slip resistant (I haven't used oil or anything, so this is a dry-scale comparison).

All in all I really like the knife. While I really want a Benchmade 710 with D2 steel, this will definitely hold me over for a long time. It is NOT an assisted opener - but it can be opened just as fast with a flick of your wrist.

My camera's busted, so no pictures of it, but this youtube video should give you a general idea of the knife.

YouTube - SOG Visionary 2
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

2. Remove Ads

Good stuff...I've been really happy with my Spec Elite.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I actually learned something from that YouTube video! Cool knife, may just have to add that one to my list.
    God bless our troops!

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    The Visionary is a very nice knife & probably one I should check out. I have a Night Vision, which has the same handle & arc-lock, but it has G-10 scales & an ATS-34 tanto blade instead.

I still have the Night Vision, but I has a Pentagon Elite I & that was an excellent knife, too. While its blade & handle is not the same as the Night Vision & Visonary, it had SOG's arc-lock & worked excellent. I do believe that it's the equal to B/M's axis-lock. In fact, a friend of mine took his Visionary apart (He also has an axis-lock & is very familiar with them), he said the arc-lock looked like it might be more durable. I'm not sure what he was talking about exactly, but he said something about a spring & the way its designed, it won't/shouldn't break like B/M's does. Not sure if that's an issue as I thought B/M's customer service is excellent, plus it'll probably last quite a long time & I think "most" of us might be onto another knife before it broke.

Good luck with you new knife, it sounds like it's a good one.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Finally got a working camera again

Enjoy.

Showing the lock in action:

Dimensions:

The only thing I wish they'd do is change the clip. Just make it 3/8 of an inch longer, if that, or 1/4 of an inch wider, and add a second screw to the clip. That'd pretty much eliminate the play in the clip. Small complaint for a great deal of a knife.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Links