Need a Wilderness Knife - Page 2

Need a Wilderness Knife

This is a discussion on Need a Wilderness Knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One word: Randall...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a Wilderness Knife

One word: Randall
    Ca C'est Bon!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunChuck View Post
    One word: Randall
    If I was going to spend that much on a knife that I was going to beat on I would purchase a Busse.

The sturdiest rough use knives are made by Busse. They cost a lot and they can be hard to get.

Take a look at Bark River. It's hard to find anything either custom or production that matches their quality without costing more (several times more in some cases). Their "1855 Hunting Bowie", "Sutter Creek", and "Teddy/Teddy Hunter" models are within the 6-8 inch range.

Ranger knives and the rest of the Busse family also have a good reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    May I suggest a good hatchet
    Best advice given so far

Seriously, a hatchet and a pocket knife is about all you need (well, and a sharpening stone).
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I've done a lot of wilderness travel and most of the time I need a good wood chopping blade. My choice is the Cold Steel TRAIL MASTER.
    +1
    Two Words
    Cold Steel
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

A good Blade

Well, I am partial to Busse...I own about 60 of them, and as the saying goes, " Busse, knives you swear by, not at."

I also would recommend Justin G. from Ranger Knives...if you can find HIS old stuff not the new Ontario line he sold his soul for

There is also Bill Siegle.....maker of some of the finest 5160 steel blades available, Jeremy Horton maker of some STOUT A2 blades, and Jim Baker....well, he made me a ******* chopper and my personal favorite Custom Maker David Wesner of Kelsey Creek Blades...I have about 4 of his and he can make them to whatever it is you want!

Take four things and you can make everything you need from a wooden spoon to a small hut. 1. Mora Swedish army knife ($11.00 Sportsman guide),
    2. Folding saw, 3. small hachet, 4. Tratamonte Machete. A fith item if you wished would be a round whetstone, however the machete, hachet, and knife can be sharpened with a river rock if need be. I have made leantos, snares, deadfalls, eating utensils, cut wood, and butcher animals with an 18 inch machete. The nice thing about a cheap machete is it bends and flexes instead of chips or breaks, it is easy to sharpen and if you lose it not a big loss money wise. They run between $5.00 to $20.00 (max) in a hardware store.

+1 for Ranger Knives RD series. i love my RD4.5. its so strong, and a great price. also the owner is a great guy. he will also customize anything for very reasonable prices

My buck 119 hasn't failed me yet. I always carry it out in the wilderness by my house, I also carry a Leatherman surge, a Buck 110, Pepperspray and a small hatchet though.. maybe a little overkill but I like to be as prepared as I can be..

+1 for the Hatchett, I would also recommend the Full Size USMC KA-BAR, Serrated Edge. I have had this knife for about 8 years and have deffinately put it to good use. It has cut anything from cords, rope, plastic, metal, to tree branches and tree roots.

another option would be the SOG Seal Pup, I have been looking at one for a while now and have heard nothing but good reviews about it. The fact that the Navy Seals carry this knife can't hurt IMO

Quote Originally Posted by J man View Post
    +1 for the Hatchett, I would also recommend the Full Size USMC KA-BAR, Serrated Edge. I have had this knife for about 8 years and have deffinately put it to good use. It has cut anything from cords, rope, plastic, metal, to tree branches and tree roots.

another option would be the SOG Seal Pup, I have been looking at one for a while now and have heard nothing but good reviews about it. The fact that the Navy Seals carry this knife can't hurt IMO
    I would have to second the SOG Seal Pup, It has been an excellent knife and has taken a beating. They are also pretty inexpensive. I purchased mine for about 75.00 at Sportsmans Warehouse.

Tops Knives

I have several Topsknives. Real great performers. The one that I have used the most is my Steel Eagle. About the size of a Cold Steel trail master. Smaller knife that feels awesome in the hand is their Cochise. Great size.

Steel Eagle http://www.topsknives.com/product_in...23b0f857f04b2b.

Cochise http://www.topsknives.com/product_in...23b0f857f04b2b

Really tough knives

I recently purchased one of those new Gerber LMF II's. Haven't had the chance to get it out and put it through the tasks. Feels great in my hand and I really like the sheath.
    Talk's cheap and I ain't buying any.

I carry a Rambow

1st blood knife. I have had it for over 15 years. I bought it off my cousin that need money real bad, paid $25 for it.

It has been through about everything. I cut saw wood, cut trees, gut deer with it. I use it like a machete. This thing is like Thor's hammer but a knife instead.

It is built like a tank.

Amazon.com: Rambo First Blood Licensed Bowie Knife 25th Anniversary: Sports & Outdoors

steve

Knife

I use one of these at work for cutting, chopping, prying, as a rope anchor, for breaking glass, etc. The handle can also be wrapped with a couple dozen feet of 550 cord, too. Great price, great company with lots of neat goodies.
    Breacher Bar EOD Robotics

Before this knife, I used a plain blade Glock field knife. Never was able to break or burn it and it helped me get out of a close call once.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I've done a lot of wilderness travel and most of the time I need a good wood chopping blade. My choice is the Cold Steel TRAIL MASTER.
    $460 beans for a wilderness knive? Wow! You could rough it for 10 days in a Holiday Inn for those clams.

Perhaps a quality axe?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links