Need a Wilderness Knife

This is a discussion on Need a Wilderness Knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think raevan had some good recommendations. A small fixed blade (4" or so) and a machete will handle just about any conceivable cutting task. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need a Wilderness Knife

I think raevan had some good recommendations. A small fixed blade (4" or so) and a machete will handle just about any conceivable cutting task.

If you're looking for more of a "do everything" knife, I'd look at RAT, TOPS, Cold Steel, or Bark River. Blackjack knives has some good ones too if you like the old Randall style.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

2. Remove Ads

With all the sugestions I have seen posted ,I think I am going to have to get out more. I am a Knife collector and many of the knives in my collection are "lost knives". Since everyone keeps recomending expensive knives I need to start walking the trails to see if I can find some. I would never carry a real expensive knife in the hills unless it was my only knife. If you really want to know what kind of blade to use for survival, look at the people who live at a survival leval all the time. They uses Machetes, or Bolo type knives. All the knives on this thread would work fine, but remember, once you lose or break it, its gone. A cheap Machete properly sharpened will outlast all the others and hurt less if lost.

cj
    Good points raevan. I've heard of many who swear by a machete picked up for a pittance from some far off country where someone had hand ground it, only to sell it for a pittance.

I also have a rather large collection of high-enders, but my current go-to's are a Kabar Mule (folding knife) and the 6 inch Ranger I picked up used, neither of which was very expensive or give me any concerns about failure.

By the way, any suggestions on what machetes are actually worth it? That's one area I don't know about, besides seeing the cheap stamped Chinese ones that I'd be afraid of breaking within a few swings.

I do at least one 4 day survival hike a year and swear by my USMC ka bar

a very good wilderness knife.not real cheap, but so strong you can use it as a pry bar if needed......is

RAT Cutlery Co.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by CTurner91 View Post
    My buck 119 hasn't failed me yet. I always carry it out in the wilderness by my house, I also carry a Leatherman surge, a Buck 110, Pepperspray and a small hatchet though.. maybe a little overkill but I like to be as prepared as I can be..
    Same here. I have had my Buck 119 for 42 years, used it in the jungles of Panama and Vietnam, as well as backpacking for many years. It has outlasted 4 sheaths. It is a little more difficult to sharpen than my old Uncle Henry, but Uncle wore out a long time ago.

I also have a Randall which is a great knife. However, because it costs so much I do not use it. Thus, as a practical matter it is useless to me. I suppose the ultimate question is whether one wants only a dropper knife knife, or whether he wants a knife that will be used.

The RAT & Bark River are topflight suggestions, as are TOPS, Chris Reeves & Strider. There are items in which I seek the best value, and then there are items in which I seek simply...the best. My primary knife on a serious wilderness trek wouldn't be a "best for the buck" (pardon the unintended BUCK pun) decision. I would have to trust it like I trust my defensive handgun. And that, with very rare exception, usually is relatively expensive. Good Luck!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    The RAT & Bark River are topflight suggestions, as are TOPS, Chris Reeves & Strider. There are items in which I seek the best value, and then there are items in which I seek simply...the best. My primary knife on a serious wilderness trek wouldn't be a "best for the buck" (pardon the unintended BUCK pun) decision. I would have to trust it like I trust my defensive handgun. And that, with very rare exception, usually is relatively expensive. Good Luck!
    There are so many excellent knives on the market that it frequently becomes only a question of whether one wants a name-dropper knife or a different brand of the same quality.

That is why I leave my Randall on the shelf, and I take my trusty Buck which has stayed with me for 42 years. Similarly, there are Marines from former wars who swear by their K-Bar. Although the K-Bar is much cheaper than the Randall, the steel is not quite as tough, but it can be sharpened. I am not going to tell those old Marines that they were relying on an inferior cheap knife. They likely could give me just as many reasons why their K-Bar serves them better than my $500 Randall, regardless of what the knife costs.

On a similar note, a cheap Glock (relatively speaking) is just as reliable as the most expensive Kimber. However, I like bragging rights, and would prefer to show off the Kimber.

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    By the way, any suggestions on what machetes are actually worth it? That's one area I don't know about, besides seeing the cheap stamped Chinese ones that I'd be afraid of breaking within a few swings.
    I've always had good luck with the ones from Mexico or S. America...take a look at Tramontina Tramontina Machete
    the Cold Steel machetes are also decent.

The only machete I've got right now was made in mexico...I paid $4 for it at a flea-market in San Antonio and have used the hell out of it clearing brush, etc.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

How about a Scrap Yard - a Dan Busse creation?

Current one is taking orders for like $119... should be shipping soon.

Scrap Yard Knife Company

+1 to KenpoTex on machetes. The old Collins are good too, but they have become collector pieces. I use the Tramontina Machetes. Very resonable price and last nearly forever. The main one I use now I have used for 20 years. I have others I use as well depending on what I am cutting and where I am. A thing about Tramontina blades they usually are sold somewhat dull and a steep sholder. They are sold this way so the buyer can put their own edge on it.
    I recomend busting the sholder down with a shop grinder, file, or course stone. Then use fine stone or fine file to work edge in to a convex taper.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links