Need a Wilderness Knife

This is a discussion on Need a Wilderness Knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My friend and I are making our annual survive-in-the-woods trip where we go out into the wilderness with the bare essentials for a 10 period. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a Wilderness Knife

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

Need a Wilderness Knife

My friend and I are making our annual survive-in-the-woods trip where we go out into the wilderness with the bare essentials for a 10 period. Last time we both bought some "survival" knifes. Mine survived 3 days and his broke a few weeks after the trip. I have been looking at the Kukri knives made from SUV/Truck leaf springs, opinions on these would be appreciated as well as any other knife you would recommend. Ideally it would be a 6-8 inch blade and STURDY. These knives are our lives (luckily i brought a few extra folders last time).

Thanks in advance,

SDG
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

I love my Khukuri Kukri House - khukuri knives dealer from Nepal run by ex-Gurkha Army
    If you look around you can find them much cheaper though.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    i use the gerber lmf survival well built and is equipt for battle. Ur survival knife also needs to have a full tang whitch is very important in a survival knife

VIP Member
    I've done a lot of wilderness travel and most of the time I need a good wood chopping blade. My choice is the Cold Steel TRAIL MASTER.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

May I suggest a good hatchet
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

V8
    How much you want to spend?

a little pricy but the Chris Reeve green beret is the perfect knife for me when I am out in the rockiesin November. I got mine from truenorth knives

Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    i use the gerber lmf survival well built and is equipt for battle. Ur survival knife also needs to have a full tang whitch is very important in a survival knife
    Same here. See my review on that one here:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tml#post477731

Also pay attention to QK's post...it does hit on an interesting choice one needs to make based on needs/desires for use.

Oh and I used it back in May on vacation in North Carolina(about 10 miles from the south carolina border). At any rate, my anchor got hung up in the inlet between the intracoastal waterway and the ocean, the tide was coming in fast and hard, and the line was wrapping back around the motor faster than I could get us untangled. Needless to say I jumped in and cut the line free. This was all done on the fly sans any rational thought. I had forgotten I even had the knife on me when I was dealing with the tangled mess. I was just wearing a pair of board shorts and had the knife strapped to my calf. It didn't dawn on me that I had still had it until I was already tangled up good. I got back to the house a few hours later and gave it a quick freshwater rinse and all was well. No major salt water damage. I also used it to clean fish almost daily with no issues so it can be used for fine work as well.

The carry options are virtually limitless for it too(belt normal downward, upside down, sideways, drop leg, calf/ankle/boot, mole compliant, etc... you get the idea.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Check out Benchmade models...

155 (one has serations on the top, might come in handy?)
    140 or 141
    10505 (sexy)

And if you have an open mind: CRKT M.A.K.-1 (THICK blade, .2")
    This one is cool, designed to handle prying (ask ANY knife company if it's okay to use their knives to pry doors open, yeah right), chopping, cutting, whatever you need.

Administrator
    My last time out letting Momma Nature beat me up and give me a tough time I took the Gryphon (below) and it did pretty well for itself. AUS-8 blade hardened to Rockwell 59 and each blade individually hardness tested.
    It's Made In SEKI Japan but, it's a high quality knife with good steel.
    I always liked Gryphon knives and AUS-8.
    No handle to crack or get loose.
    I also took a second (backup) CASE XX knife with me just in case I needed it but, I did not need it.
    I'd probably wire wrap the Kraton handle next time round.
    The sheath (as is typical with most knives these days) is not incredibly fantastic but, it's useable.

Gryphon M35 Combat Utility Knife, With it's practical blade design is well suited for use as a field, camp, survival, as well as a combat knife. Features a shock absorbing Kraton Handle which is checkered for a non-slip grip. The 7.5" AUS-8A stainless steel blade with full tang to add strength. The M35 comes with a custom made black Cordura sheath.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I like a big knife for general woodcraft and I actually thought the 7.5" blade was a bit shorter than I would have preferred but, it got tasks done and stayed in one piece.

I'll probably go with the Fallkniven THOR my next time out.
    It's larger and has a good reputation for being able to take a hard licking.
    It's a huge jump in price though. But, I guess I'll spring for one toward the end of summer. I'm not going anywhere again until it's lots cooler out.

cj
    First off, I'm curious what you broke and what you were doing.

Some that come to mind in the durable, decent performance, and fair price:

Ranger knives 'Ready Detachment' series (5160 steel) (http://www.rangerknives.com) - really a great value for the price. My top recommendation for what it sounds like you want. Lighter than a kukri would be, and darn tough. Holding a nicely used 6" version right now.

Ontario RAT knives (if there are any still available) - 1095 Steel

If you want to get a little more spendy, Swamp Rat knives have a good reputation for the qualities you're looking for, but you'd probably need to buy from the secondary market as they don't seem to make too many at any one time.

Even more spendy, Busse Combat's knives have a rabid following. Again, limited availability except in the secondary market...and expect to pay a premium, but it comes with an unconditional warranty. When someone manages to break one, it's generally news for that community.

Administrator
    I'd love to have any large Busse but, they sure can put a big dent in a plastic credit card.

You should check out bladeforums.com, there are a lot of custom makers who specialize in wilderness/bushcraft knives. There are quite a few guys that sell nice hard use knives for very reasonable prices. Himalayan Imports is a popular and reputable khukuri company if you decide to go that route. Another company I would suggest is rat cutlery, not rat knives by ontario but ratcutlery.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links