Leaf spring knives -- a good or bad thing?

This is a discussion on Leaf spring knives -- a good or bad thing? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I owned a Emerson CQC7 with a 3in. blade that, until I lost it :-(, was a terrific knife that had a leaf spring liner ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaf spring knives -- a good or bad thing?

Leaf spring knives -- a good or bad thing?

I owned a Emerson CQC7 with a 3in. blade that, until I lost it :-(, was a terrific knife that had a leaf spring liner lock. But is a liner lock actually a good thing defensively? Could it jack closed on your hand in a fight?
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

2. Remove Ads

the search function is your friend.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I thought you were talking about knives made from leaf springs. My dad actually has a big one he got while in Vietnam.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Ditto...I was thinking the exact same thing.
    The title is misleading.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Depends who you ask. I personally own one liner lock, that I got long before I knew much about knives at all. Every other knife is a lockback, or uses another lock besides the liner/frame locks.

For reference, the liner lock just sits there now. I won't use it anymore.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Ditto...I was thinking the exact same thing.
    The title is misleading.

- Janq
    +3
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    +3

Me too!

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I thought I was weird for thinking that.

Ok. I'm weird for other reasons.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Hahaha!

I too began to think it must be me. :p

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    +3
    +5...me too

in my experience, I have yet to have my liner lock knife close on me. However, for a defensive blade, I would much prefer something with a more positive/bar lock.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    in my experience, I have yet to have my liner lock knife close on me. However, for a defensive blade, I would much prefer something with a more positive/bar lock.
    Stab stuff with it. Preferably a slab of tough, low-quality ribs. Do to it whatever you think you would do to a person if they attacked you, and with whatever hand you figure you'll be using (and then the other one).

Otherwise... siding with KenpoTex. Search "liner lock" and you'll pull up a lot of results.

-B

Here's your answer: It depends.

Some liner locks are superb. Some fail with little stress. The only way to know for sure is to test it by stabbing stuff and torquing it. Other tests exist as well but I don't feel like going into that right now.

My apologies for the title.. honestly I'm still wondering myself why I put "leaf spring" there when I meant "liner lock"...once again a reason why one should not post in the middle of the night -_-

I did do the "liner lock" search, and came up with a few answers, but nothing like what I was looking for. Do liner locks wear our easily? (thinking of emersons in this case) and are they generally unreliable (ie: will they jack closed on your hand?) Most of the posts on the other threads were along the lines of "it hasn't happened yet, but I still feel a little antsy about it..". Just curious if anyone has had any actual bad experiences with high-dollar liner locks like striders and/or emersons.
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Mo
    I like sturdy frame locks, and solid liner locks. An example of a liner lock I like would be the Cold Steel Ti-Lite, that has a 90 degree bend in the lock to add contact area to the blade when open.

Liners I'm leary of are like those found in the bargain line of Blackhawk knives. Based on more expensive MOD knives, the new bargain line has thin liner locks that seem like you could bust them pretty easily.

There are better locking mechanisms out there...why spend that kind of money (Emerson) for a lock that has a higher potential for failure. For that matter, at any price point, you can find knives that do not use a liner-lock.

note: many of the Striders use a frame-lock which is not the same as a liner-lock. Frame locks are GTG.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links