Surefire

This is a discussion on Surefire within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anybody own a surefire knife? If so are they worth the money and do you like it? Thanks!...

Thread: Surefire

Surefire

Does anybody own a surefire knife? If so are they worth the money and do you like it?
    Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Mo
    I love their Echo but there's just no way I can justify a $300 knife when you can get a Ka-Bar for $40. I guess if you're kicking in foreign doors for a living or your agency is buying it for you, maybe. There's just nothing a knife like that does that less $$ knives can't, and there's minimal collector interest seeing how it's mass-produced.

Like Mo said a good looking knife indeed. Still yet, I think of two things 1) No way to justify the price when $300 would almost buy you a nice bug (RUGER LCP or a Kel-Tec) or maybe a little more and a second glock or XD w/e you choose. 2) I own a $40 S&W Homeland Security knife and i'll tell you this much that thing is sharp and sharp is sharp imo. Just my opinion, but the odds of you needing it are slim to none and imo not worth $300.
    Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm
    Beretta 92FS 9mm
    Browning Buckmark 22LR
    Ruger Mark III Dexlue Competition Model 22LR.
    1911 Soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJerm80 View Post
    Does anybody own a surefire knife? If so are they worth the money and do you like it?
    Thanks!
    Your paying for top notch craftsmanship and materials.

I own several high end knives and one thing is for sure. Any $20 knife is likely going to go down if your have to survive with it in austere conditions. I'v had more knives simply fall apart from simple tasks such as cutting wood and chopping wood with a block strike out on the back forty.

Is it worth it ? If you plan to use it as a tool and not just as a box opener then yes it is, but you only need a knife that will open your UPS boxes, letters, and cut some 550 cord the inexpensive knives are fine. Just don't get caught out in the wild for day's on end with a $49 CRKT. It will not last.

Just my .02
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Your paying for top notch craftsmanship and materials.
    Well, not quite, in this case. You're paying for paid-for CNC machines, and steel that most companies and makers already use. I won't knock SF too hard, since most custom folders start at $450, but SF isn't doing hand-grinding or fitting.

The new SpydeWrench can do all the SFs can, and more at 1/3 the cost. The SF is smaller, but BM and Spydie offer extremely comparable models, without the glassbreaker.

Edit: I own several $200+ knives. Heavy specifically treated fixed blades are worth the $$. Folders are inherently weaker, in any context, and aside from pride of ownership and unusual craftsmanship, are not worth the difference over a production working model.

Mo
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post

Edit: from pride of ownership and unusual craftsmanship, are not worth the difference over a production working model.
    And you just summed it up perfectly. My post was directed at the fixed blade echo, and you're just not going to find yourself in a situation where a Ka-Bar USMC fighting knife isn't going to be able to do something that the echo can do. If you absolutely have to have micarta handles (like if you're a vegan and maybe hate the thought of innocent cows killed to make your leather-stacked handle), then you can spend $80 instead of $40 and get something from RAT cutlery. Surefire can try to justify the cost, but they're not putting anywhere close to $300 worth of materials, and defintiely not craftsmanship, into their knives. You're paying for the name and the status.

There is a lot of difference between a $20 Rambo bowie from eBay and a true "survival" knife. There is far less difference between the quality of knife you can get for $100 and a $300 Echo. It's a classic case of diminishing returns.

Links