Who carries non lethal?

This is a discussion on Who carries non lethal? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you carry pepper spray, mace or some other non lethal weapon in addition to your CCW? I was just thinking about the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who carries non lethal?

Who carries non lethal?

How many of you carry pepper spray, mace or some other non lethal weapon in addition to your CCW? I was just thinking about the need to carry something for the abnoxious drunk, homeless person or teenager that isn't armed but is trying to force a confrontation, etc.

2. Remove Ads

I carry OC some of the time.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    A good tool on the force continuum scale. My wife, daughter and I keep it in my truck.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

OC Spray is EDC IMO

In addition to my Kimber Ultra Carry II I have a couple of 2.5 oz canisters of FOX OC spray that I carry in nylon holster when I am out taking a walk or bike riding with my wife for the potential nasty dog. Otherwise I carry a 22 gram Sabre Red in my front pants pocket during my work day. The Sabre size is small enough where it does not make it difficult to share the pocket with my car keys and money and look like a squirrel storing nuts for the winter. I also carry a Kershaw assisted opening knife in the other front pocket as I believe that there is a proper tool for every job.

If I canít carry my firearm somewhere I still have some sort of defense with me at all times. Besides if I encounter an obnoxious drunk or derelict that would desire to bring harm against me I definitely think that the spray could do us both a favor by preventing a situation from escalating into something more serious. It is always good to have options.

I think that if you carry a gun, you should carry a spray, period. A Spitfire is on my keyring at all times. One of the greatest regrets of my life involved an incident where I didn't have OC.

It has been reported to me that case law is developing for LEOs in California regarding this. The issue as reported was that for a LEO to carry a firearm off duty without also carrying a less lethal weapon, e.g., OC, was prima facie negligence. I haven't verified the report but I keep it in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    A good tool on the force continuum scale. My wife, daughter and I keep it in my truck.
    +1 exactly.

When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem tends to look like a nail!

FWIW, I'm partial to Fox Labs.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Senior Moderator
    My LifeAct Spray goes with me everywhere. It's just part of my carry gear.

There is a thread over on Carryconcealed.net about this issue also. Here is the reply I posted there that goes along with the OP's...

"I carry OC, a folder, and my handgun whenever I leave the house. Period. If I am heading out at night our will be out till then, I carry my light also.

Getting to the point of the OP, I can't imagine why anyone who carries a handgun would not carry something like an OC, Mace, name your favorite non-lethal here, device. There may very well come a time when you are in a situation where your surroundings do not fit into a" Use of Deadly Force" scenario. I'll try a scenario...

A guy who is roughly your size and your age confronts you at the pizza joint for "staring" at his girlfriend. You weren't doing it, or maybe you were, but your attempts to de-escalate the situation are not working and this guy is getting closer to the "I'll just punch you in the face" point of the conversation. All you have for your defense is your hands and your trusty (insert your handgun of choice here). What are you going to do when this comes down to blows? Get in a fistfight with someone while trying to retain your handgun? I hope not. You're not going to shoot him are you? I really hope not.

Now, the same scenario but you have some OC. When it gets to the point of the conversation where your new "friend" decides he's just going to punch you in the face, a whallop with a good stream of OC may very well be a terrific option as opposed to a fistfight while keeping retention.

The rule I have been taught with OC is this. If you are in a situation where you are justified in throwing a punch/kick/throw what have you, then you are just as justified to give them a good blast with OC. Give em' a sniff, get away, call the locals.

The more tools you have in your toolbox the better. If all you carry around with you is a hammer, pretty soon every problem begins to look like a nail."

Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

I totally agree one should have alternatives to pulling a gun every time you get into a confrontation, or sticky situation.

Self defense starts with a frame of mind, followed up with training in H2H, and then training and practice in the use of a firearm. While OC sprays and electronic devices are good tools, if you truly want to be prepared you may want to invest your time and effort in a good self defense class.

I'm not advocating 15 years of martial arts, but I am advising to take some of the newer classes devoted to self protection.

I carry my OC especially when I am out walking the dog.

Better than shooting someones pet that is a danger to yours.

I also carry a LifeAct in addition to my pistol, just another option before deadly force.
    God bless our troops!

Administrator
    I'm not a huge fan of less lethal options, but I do understand that they do have a limited role and can come in handy.
    If you are going to use a OC, make sure you get a foam, not a spray. People are always suprised how the spray gets them as well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I always have OC on my person...I like options.

Stay armed...have options...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

i carry OC, a knife, and some kind of blunt impact tool. i'm not a big fan of the OC, but we don't have a stand-your-ground law in PA, so that means i have to run, and use less lethal options if i can.

taser C2 in black, wife carries the pink one
    Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do

My martial arts training has served me well for a less than lethal option. If I hadn't put the time and effort into learning those skills, then I would carry spray. I'm still not against the idea. The spray would come in handy if their was more than one potential attacker. That stuff is kick butt in a can. Literally!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links