Ka-Bar TDI: 1477, 1480, or 1481?

This is a discussion on Ka-Bar TDI: 1477, 1480, or 1481? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, I've been reading through old Ka-Bar TDI threads; there are lots of them, and very repetitive. Sorry for yet another; still, I think this ...

Thread: Ka-Bar TDI: 1477, 1480, or 1481?

Ka-Bar TDI: 1477, 1480, or 1481?

Alright, I've been reading through old Ka-Bar TDI threads; there are lots of them, and very repetitive. Sorry for yet another; still, I think this one isn't exactly covered.

So, do I go straight edge with the 1480?

Serrated with the 1481?

Half-n-half with the 1477?

I'm leaning towards the last one. My reasoning: I don't necessarily want a fully serrated blade. Serration is designed to catch, and while that's good in one sense (shredding) it could also be problematic if it caught on bone or something. I like having that un-serrated point... but I do like some serration; what I gather from video tutorials (I'll try to take a class in Dec) is that stabbing deep and just slicing across is best. Also in favor of serration: though this blade will never be used outside of an emergency, I could see the emergency necessity in some circumstances of cutting rope, clothes, fabric... serration would be nice, though generally this will probably be a second, weak-side knife (v. strong side folder half-serrated).

Thoughts?

"War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

2. Remove Ads

I prefer a plain edge over serrations any day (unless we're talking about a "hard use" utility knife).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

For the job you need it for I'd avoid the full serrations. I like the 1480 because of it's better for slashing in weapons retention. I don't think plain ol' stabbing is ever a good option in self defense. I like an indexed insertion with a turn and rip egress (Southnarc style).
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

i have both the fully and the half serrated. The Serrates on the TDI are horribly dull . i love the design but i wish i had gone with a plain edge . Im actually moving up to a BOKER MPT because the TDI is to inadequate in my mind.

I don't have any comments on the blades, but I have 2 sheaths: a belt-threaded one as in the picture for the 1480 and 1481, and a clip-on one as for the 1477.

The belt-threaded sheath for the 1480/1481 is perfect. The TDI is always in one place, and the sheath never pulls off the belt. This sheath keeps the TDI tucked up tight next to my side/stomach.

I had so much trouble with the clip-on sheath I don't use it any more. Granted, I was wearing the wrong size belt for the clip-on, but it moved all over and occassionally would come off the belt still attached to the TDI when I would practice drawing. In addition, due to its poor fit on my belt, the TDI handle printed so much it looked like a huge gun grip. I emailed the company and they said they do not offer the belt-threaded sheath for the larger TDI's.

You might have better luck with the clip-on sheath if you have the correct size belt.

I know you were asking about the TDI blades, but I thought the sheaths might factor into your decision.

yeah i only use the belt thread as well . the clip moves and adds some extra girth to the sheath.

I appreciate the extra input on sheaths -- that is very helpful, actually.

So now I'm leaning plain edge 1480. Hah. Double-minded man that I am...
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

here are pictures of mine i just took.

as you can see i beat the hell out of my fully serrated for stupid jobs i should have never used it for. my newer half serrated one . is in good condition and never used except once to open a package.

the only 3 problems i have with the TDI are all viewable from these pictures.

1. badly made serrates , they are just not sharp and very hard to sharpen.
    2. Im not a fat guy at all but the knife un be knowing to me rubs against my hip and i get skin flakes in the sheath and on the knife. its not my hygiene either.
    3. The newer models come with the belt/money clip which as you can see makes the knife stick out a full 1/2 inch more . which is alot considering the belt loop lays flat .

also the TAN i have actually looks OD green to the naked eye .

I have the 1477...half and half.
    Used only for SD...just want to get in...cut out the heart...get out.

(Try not to use over carpet...tough cleaning...)

Stay armed...get a KA-BAR...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

1943 - 2009
    I carry the non-serrated TDI knife, and I have never used it to cut anything. If I ever have to use it for real, I will know it's sharp.

I use the belt clip and it works perfectly on a 1.5 inch belt. I carry the sheath behind the belt (between the belt and pants) at 10 o'clock with the knife handle facing right. This tucks the knife in tight, no printing or drawing issues, and the clip always stays solidly mounted to my belt.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I have the straight edge (1480) . Not a big fan of serration.

First thing to do is throw away the sheath it comes with and get one from Dave Pyle as seen here.......Gear. Dave's work is first rate and I would not rely on it if it was not.

That web address is Chris Fry's site, but he advertises for Dave. I actually have every sheath/knife combo listed on that page and the Bravheart is what I carry daily.
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

Well I got the 1480. It's in the mail. I'll probably get an after-market sheath shortly, probably from one or another of the suggested manufacturers.

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruel Hand Luke View Post
    First thing to do is throw away the sheath it comes with and get one from Dave Pyle as seen here.......Gear. Dave's work is first rate and I would not rely on it if it was not.

That web address is Chris Fry's site, but he advertises for Dave. I actually have every sheath/knife combo listed on that page and the Bravheart is what I carry daily.
    Thanks a lot for posting the link.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Plain edge only.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Normally, I only endorse plain edges for a self defense knife. In this case, though, I would actually suggest the full serrated blade. Check out the serrations closely; they are the round out-turned style that don't get caught up on stuff, but still increase the cutting probability through heavier clothing. For the purpose that this knife was designed, the rounded serrations are a welcome addition, IMHO.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Links