Dog defense........

Dog defense........

This is a discussion on Dog defense........ within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Due to many encounters with large aggressive dogs dating back to my childhood, and incidents in the news such as the poor lady who was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Dog defense........

Angry Dog defense........

Due to many encounters with large aggressive dogs dating back to my childhood, and incidents in the news such as the poor lady who was torn apart in her own apt. building out in SF a few years ago by two huge and dangerous dogs, I always carry at least a can of Mean Green spray and wonder if anyone has ever used this on a dog? It seems like really nasty stuff but if it won't get the job done I'll carry something that spits Speer Gold Dots!

Dogs are targets that are hard to hit. I only have a gun, and I will hold no reservation killing somebody's pet or a stray if it's coming at me. If I miss, hopefully the noise will sho them away, but don't bank on it.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

One problem with using oc as a primary IMHO is if you miss or the dog continues after getting sprayed you may or may not be able to draw your weapon depending on where the dog grabbed and how vicious the attack is,I'd rather have my gun out and even if he grabs my arm i hold out to protect i can then fire at point blank range into his body,I might get bit but he's gonna get bit harder,that depends on area,in a neighborhood i don't wanta be shooting at a moving target where my bullets will ricochet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    You can get a fog distribution can of pepper spray or use what one guy told me that worked pretty well... wasp spray! He swears by it too.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Moderator
    If you get a big nasty dog like a pit bull or a Rottweiler charging you, that pepper spray may not act quickly enough to keep it from knocking you off your feet.

If you hit the ground with that dog on top of you, if you don't get killed, you will spend a very long time healing up.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

im a big dog lover and find it very hard to use any weapon against a dog even under attack. dogs only do one thing . they bite . once you grasp that you realize its not hard to stop an attacking single dog . dogs are easily misdirected with a single push or hold. however i know if my life or a kids life or a defenseless persons life was actually in danger , a good blast of OC or even a "muzzle grab" and hard punch to the nose will dislodge most will to attack.

Senior Moderator
    . however i know if my life or a kids life or a defenseless persons life was actually in danger , a good blast of OC or even a "muzzle grab" and hard punch to the nose will dislodge most will to attack
    You'd bet your life on that? I dang sure wouldn't.

I've seen two fatal dog attacks. One by some pit bulls and another by a Rottweiler. I had to shoot a Pit Bull that wanted to gulp my blood. The pit I had to shoot, I wouldn't have had time for spray, I barely had time to shoot.

If you so much as hesitate for 1/2 second to figure out what to do, you are going to be in a world of hurt, serious hurt. A punch on the nose of a big dog wont even phase it. Some dogs, like people are immune to spray.

If you are relying on a punch to the snout or spray to save yourself or a loved one or anyone else, you need to rethink your strategy.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

You're right. There is very little time with an aggressive dog coming at you full-speed.

The one time I've had a larger such dog get me (a doberman-mix of sorts), I rammed my hand down its throat. Close-in, the gaping mouth was the most-sensitive thing I could reach. Kept shoving it down as far as it would go. Sliced up my arm fairly well. It backed off, after that, no doubt with some damage to his esophagus. I doubt it would work with trained pits or a larger rottweiler. Uncertain if it would work again, if faced with a similar situation. Still, it worked in this one situation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by norestrds View Post
    im a big dog lover and find it very hard to use any weapon against a dog even under attack. dogs only do one thing . they bite . once you grasp that you realize its not hard to stop an attacking single dog . dogs are easily misdirected with a single push or hold. however i know if my life or a kids life or a defenseless persons life was actually in danger , a good blast of OC or even a "muzzle grab" and hard punch to the nose will dislodge most will to attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You'd bet your life on that? I dang sure wouldn't.

I've seen two fatal dog attacks. One by some pit bulls and another by a Rottweiler. I had to shoot a Pit Bull that wanted to gulp my blood. The pit I had to shoot, I wouldn't have had time for spray, I barely had time to shoot.

If you so much as hesitate for 1/2 second to figure out what to do, you are going to be in a world of hurt, serious hurt. A punch on the nose of a big dog wont even phase it. Some dogs, like people are immune to spray.

If you are relying on a punch to the snout or spray to save yourself or a loved one or anyone else, you need to rethink your strategy.
    heh...I wouldn't either. Certain types of dogs...whether trained properly or not, a good shot to the nose WILL NOT deter it. Pit's are a prime example. As much as I love them (I own one), there are some realities to face. One of the Pit's(among a few other breeds) traits, is to have a very high pain tolerance with which a large blow to the nose when they are engaged...really won't stop. It was bred into them. I wouldn't depend on a nose shot, or a spray.

When you have an aggressive dog coming for you...don't hesitate to shoot... That's the only guaranteed method.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

ive been attacked by dogs and its worked for me . I have an Akita and a Pitbull / Shepard mix and i have had to tussle with them before over dominance and im pretty good at it id assume . A blind attack on the street from a charging stray is obviously different . something you can see coming unless you have the reflexes of Christopher Reeve should not be a real threat unless you freeze up.

If your CCW isn't going to be your first method then try . . .

Pepper Gel perhaps:

Mace Pepper Gel
    U.S Navy Veteran - CTT - Naval Security Group
    XD9SC, EAA Witness (Tangfolio) Elite Match .45
    Taurus PT1911, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Fulton Armory FAR-15 Predator, Savage 93R17 B
    Remington 870 18" 7+1
    Too many knives to list

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by norestrds View Post
    How many times have you actually been attacked by a dog? This post makes me think the answer is never. A tussle with a pet is not the same thing.

Dogs are fast and once one is attacking you they are NOT easily distracted. Once a 100+ pound dog has his teeth in you and starts to thrash like a great white you'll sing a different tune. Ouch!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

99% of dogs are basically harmless against a grown person that fights back. They are not a bear or a mountain lion that hits from behind. They latch on and stay for the most part which is their downfall in a attack. This is for 1 dog only, not a pack. A pack is kind of like a group of city dirt bags, they all want to be king. It's trigger time then.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Whenever I'm on foot, it's usually in the company of my wife and three toddlers. I don't intend on taking chances with a charging dog - I'll shoot first.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I love dogs. I have dogs and have had a dog as a partner. That said, I also bear the scars of multiple dog bites. Yes peper spray works on dogs (most of the time) and it works real well on snakes too (that is helpfull around here as I just killed five copperheads on my front porch last month).

However peperspray isnt perfect, but neither is a gun, I've got the scar to prove that and it was a good double lung and heart hit).

Knives do work as I have told the story here on the board in the past of having to use a CQC-7 to protect my daughter and my own skin while riding my Harley from an attacking dog. Daughter, me and the Emerson are all doing fine, but cant say the same for the dog.

I dont run without my peperspray and pistol due to mutts (four and two legged versions) that might be looking for an easy meal.

Be safe and have fun.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links