Largest assisted opener?

Largest assisted opener?

This is a discussion on Largest assisted opener? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys, I prefer a large folder. Looking for an assisted one that has about a 4 to 5" blade. Not having a ton of luck. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Largest assisted opener?

Largest assisted opener?

Guys, I prefer a large folder. Looking for an assisted one that has about a 4 to 5" blade. Not having a ton of luck. I have a Kershaw Avalanche that I have carried for about 2 years but have the itch for something new. Think it's a little under 3.5" or so. Does anyone even make a 4" assisted opener or larger or is this too complex to manufactur and make it open correctly. Oh, one thing I DO NOT want is a safety on it. I have a Sog Flash II that I hate for that reason. Any help would sure be appreciated. Would rather not spend anymore than $120.00
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

I'm not a knife expert but have been an avid buyer and user for a couple years now. I personally haven't seen anything larger than a ZT 0300 series with assisted opening. Until Benchmade adds assist to the Skirmish 630/630BK (if ever) the ZT 0300 series is the biggest one I know of right now.
    U.S Navy Veteran - CTT - Naval Security Group
    XD9SC, EAA Witness (Tangfolio) Elite Match .45
    Taurus PT1911, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Fulton Armory FAR-15 Predator, Savage 93R17 B
    Remington 870 18" 7+1
    Too many knives to list

Quote Originally Posted by Reeek View Post
    I'm not a knife expert but have been an avid buyer and user for a couple years now. I personally haven't seen anything larger than a ZT 0300 series with assisted opening. Until Benchmade adds assist to the Skirmish 630/630BK (if ever) the ZT 0300 series is the biggest one I know of right now.
    I have a Gerber Fairbairn. Although, it is not assisted it does have a thumb post which makes it very easy to deply the 4.48" blade.

http://images.gerbertools.com/Lg/105...ble_Bevel_.jpg
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I almost forgot about he CRKT Hissatsu Folder too. It has a pretty long blade but doesn't feel "big". I own one even and still forgot about it

Hissatsu™ Folder

2903: Razor-Sharp Cutting Edge, OutBurst assisted opening
    Blade: Length: 3.875” (9.8 cm)
    Thickness: 0.15” (0.38 cm)
    Steel: AUS 8, 58-59 HRC
    Closed: Handle length: 5.0” (12.7 cm)
    Open: Overall length: 8.75” (22.2 cm)
    Weight: 5.8 oz. (164 g)

Last edited by Reeek; August 19th, 2008 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Typos
    Remington 870 18" 7+1
    Too many knives to list

I can direct you to some large folders, but no large assisted openers unless you want to wait a few years and spend lots of $$$ on a Darrel Ralph custom.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Thanks for the Zero Tolerance idea...I hadn't looked at them. That Hissatsu Folder is nice. I'm really taking a look at that. The only thing I think I would change on that would be to have a half serrated blade option. This one might just work though and the price is not bad at all. ROLYAT63... I have a Fairbairn as well. That is the size knife I like. For me, once I've carried an assisted knife it's hard to go back. Just a feature I really like and wish this knife had that.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Assisted opener

I thought I could help you until I read your $120.00 limit on cost. If you change your mind, Google Gary Hicks out of Texas. He can mke you the big folder you are looking for. Stay with ATS 34 and the like and he may be able to help you. Robert Kroft of Soldier of Fortune still has one of Gary's double action folders and it has like a 5.5 blade. Remember Gary's stuff is top quality custom.Good luck.

The reason you won't get a combo blade on the Hissatsu Folder is because it's a blade designed to slash and penetrate and defend against bad guys, not cut rope or straps.

I know some will argue that serrated blades do a nasty job on flesh but that isn't why most if any knife designers put a serration on a blade.

It's a decent knife for $60 bucks give or take though. It deploys fast and easy considering it doesn't have an index finger flipper (it has a grippy disk) and it carries very small for it's length and is the smoothest knife I have carried. It's super comfortable in the pocket and provides no issues when reaching into your pocket for cash or whatever. It's not a heavy duty prying or all purpose knife though. Use it for daily stuff and it's fine but it's still designed as an SD knife.

If you up your budget for a ZT 0300 series then you get into a knife that will do almost anything you may encounter as an average carrier.

They are my favorite knife. I own three 0300 series knives and a 0200 manual too.
    Remington 870 18" 7+1
    Too many knives to list

The Kershaw Ken Onion Leek is a 4" assisted opener...I have two of them.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Many thanks to you all for responding and giving me your thoughts. It is appreciated. Blademan21... thanks for the heads up on Gary Hicks. That might be an option for me one day. Reeek, I was thinking the same thing about that Hissatsu knife. The blade just doesn't look that thick or tough to me. It does look like it is "specialized". Retsupt99, I looked at the leeks but I believe they have 3" blades, correct? They are a very nice looking knife and I would like the option of the "index flipper". My Avalanche doesn't have that. This was the first Kershaw I ever owned and I have to say IMHO they are well built knives. Anway, this is the kind of SHOPPING that guys love and I'm sure I'll find something. ha! Thanks again.
    Allen

Cold Steel

Try a Cold Steel Ti-Lite Knife, it has a system on it that auto opens it when it is brought out of your pocket so it is ready to go from there... its a great knife and holds it edge, I have one that was presented to me by another agent for emergencies and have used it numerous times in the field for everything from rope lines to deflating tires. its a really sturdy knife...
    "History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it"
    -Winston Churchill

"Walk softly and carry a big stick"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Sometimes there is justice... Most of the time there is just-us

Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    Many thanks to you all for responding and giving me your thoughts. It is appreciated. Blademan21... thanks for the heads up on Gary Hicks. That might be an option for me one day. Reeek, I was thinking the same thing about that Hissatsu knife. The blade just doesn't look that thick or tough to me. It does look like it is "specialized". Retsupt99, I looked at the leeks but I believe they have 3" blades, correct? They are a very nice looking knife and I would like the option of the "index flipper". My Avalanche doesn't have that. This was the first Kershaw I ever owned and I have to say IMHO they are well built knives. Anway, this is the kind of SHOPPING that guys love and I'm sure I'll find something. ha! Thanks again.
    My bad...you are correct, it is the closed length is 4"...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Tower View Post
    Try a Cold Steel Ti-Lite Knife, it has a system on it that auto opens it when it is brought out of your pocket so it is ready to go from there... its a great knife and holds it edge, I have one that was presented to me by another agent for emergencies and have used it numerous times in the field for everything from rope lines to deflating tires. its a really sturdy knife...
    Well, I actually have one of these. It is a nice knife. Just looking for another new toy. ha! Glad you are enjoying yours. RETSUPT99... no problem on the dimensions. If I recall correctly I faintly remember me being incorrect on 1 or POSSIBLY 2 occasions. (don't ask my friends and family for the exact count please)

In my search, I came across the CRKT Carson Desert Folders. I know they aren't assisted but anyone have any opinions on these knives. I don't own any CRKTs at the moment. The M16 14ZSF looks like a nice knife but I don't know how well these knives are built. Says blade length is like 3.875". Just wondering about these.
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    Well, I actually have one of these. It is a nice knife. Just looking for another new toy. ha! Glad you are enjoying yours. RETSUPT99... no problem on the dimensions. If I recall correctly I faintly remember me being incorrect on 1 or POSSIBLY 2 occasions. (don't ask my friends and family for the exact count please)

In my search, I came across the CRKT Carson Desert Folders. I know they aren't assisted but anyone have any opinions on these knives. I don't own any CRKTs at the moment. The M16 14ZSF looks like a nice knife but I don't know how well these knives are built. Says blade length is like 3.875". Just wondering about these.
    I have a few CRKT's and I will give them credit for making a "good" knife but they just don't do "it" for me - perhaps I'm being too hard on them. I have a Triumph Folder, a Tiny Tighe and a Hissatsu Folder. The Hissatsu is my favortite of the 3. I may even sell the Triumph and Tiny Tighe. They are both basically brand new except for a steel here and there and carried a few times. Still have the boxes and papers.
    Last edited by Reeek; August 21st, 2008 at 05:01 PM.
    Remington 870 18" 7+1
    Too many knives to list

Kershaw Knives: Kershaw Cyclone Knife, KE-1630

I picked one of these up at SMKW in March. I've carried it quite a bit. The 13C26 seems to hold an edge quite well although I know very little about it specifically. No safety lock. You CAN turn on or off the AO feature, but I just leave it on. I've been impressed with the quality, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. It's USA-made, and one of many Ken Onion designs Kershaw has turned out.

I too prefer a large knife. This one's not 4", but at 3 3/4" and for the price ceiling you've suggested, you can buy two.
    Last edited by Casey; August 22nd, 2008 at 01:33 AM. Reason: More stuff to say!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links