HideAwayKnife

This is a discussion on HideAwayKnife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MilitaryPower I like my Kabar LDK Less than $20. DBA-810 - Ka-Bar® TDI LDK Credit Card Size Black Powder Coated Stainless Steel ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HideAwayKnife

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    how does that attach to the belt ?
    Is it vertical with the handle pointing up, or sideways with the knife sitting long ways along your belt ?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Any way and anywhere you can attach it. You can use the cord to wrap it to whatever. I know some people put it in their shoe laces.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I own two hideaways and love them. I keep one tied to my tac vest at work and the other I wear with break away ball chain. They are great knives and will work well as that last ditch back up. Spend the money because you get what you pay for.......

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Well, I ordered one of the ones in-stock Monday, and have yet to hear anything about it. Supposedly, she waits a couple of days before requesting payment, but I was kind of hoping for a quicker turn-around. :-/
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

I have a HAK utility but retired it in place of my Emerson La Griffe. The La Griffe has features I prefer over the HAK. I really can't put it in words but the La Griffe has a better feel and carries more to my liking.
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

A very talented friend and I have been working on a very trick sheath design for the HAK...the prototype is done and I will post a pic or 2 as soon as I run a few EDC tests.

It not only looks cool but serves a triple use.

Hint.... its based on a ultra rare WWII era carry sheath used by the SOE for covert carry of a thumb dagger .No its NOT the lapel type sew on version.

Administrator
    Buy a half size Utility Knife from the hardware store for $5.00 and save yourself some money.

It has the same amount of useful edge plus a better and more versatile handle and you'll never have to sharpen it.

Just pop in a new fresh utility knife blade every once in a while and you're good to go.

There is good reason reason why knives have looked like knives for thousands of years and have not looked like a HAK.

I fully expect that everybody that ever got suckered into buying one of those will defend their purchase to the very end but, my personal opinion is that they are an overpriced gimmick designed by a female that never learned how to correctly hold a real defensive blade and they are exactly as limited in effectiveness and damage inflicting ability as a supermarket box cutter which only sells for about a dollar.

Just my personal opinion which I guess is going to be somewhat inflammatory but, is the absolute truth as I see it.

I like HAKs alot but....

I agree that a normal utility type knife will do the same job...maybe a better device in some ways.

I will also add that a utility knife can be lethal as most anything can be, but short length razor type weapons are really not that great .I also think short blade ice pick/spike type weapons fall in this relm..IMO.

I have the scars to prove what these type weapons can and can't do from a pair of crack heads that attacked when I was a greenhorn in late 1980s.

A true but little known fact is that the ,The hak was NOT just designed by "frontsight" alone but with much input of same very well known knife designers and SD people.

If you see her original "badger" design ...you will know her help was great. I have pics of all the original "badgers/hak designs in my files.

IMO-I always saw the HAK as a VERY last ditch centerline carry weapon to help get a guy off of me in a tight clinch when reaching my glock maybe impossible.

Anyone that thinks a HAK is a PRIMARY weapon or a "end the fight" weapon is really a dreamer IMO.

Administrator
    I thought the HAK was originally designed by a woman that began selling them by contracting out the work to a few knifemakers.

Some clarification on that would be nice if anybody could confirm.

Honestly I don't care who buys one.
    It's America and anybody that wants one...hey you know...go buy one for any reason if it makes you feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I thought the HAK was originally designed by a woman that began selling them by contracting out the work to a few knifemakers.

Some clarification on that would be nice if anybody could confirm.

Honestly I don't care who buys one.
    It's America and anybody that wants one...hey you know...go buy one for any reason if it makes you feel good.

When SDF had some really great talent...."frontsite" had a idea for a push dagger type knife,that would fit behind a id badge ,it was to be called the badger.The name was taken so the HAK was born.If memory serves me right many people fromSouthnarc to Don Rearic to Eric Blair had input on the HAK.

The old threads may still be around.I will get some pic up of the history of the hak.

Here are some of "frontsites" original designs.

and here are some early designs with "help" added.

Quote Originally Posted by ALWILLIAM View Post
    When SDF had some really great talent...."frontsite" had a idea for a push dagger type knife,that would fit behind a id badge ,it was to be called the badger.The name was taken so the HAK was born.If memory serves me right many people from Southnarc to Don Rearic to Eric Blair had input on the HAK.

The old threads may still be around.I will get some pic up of the history of the hak.
    That's pretty much how I remember it...been a long time ago.

Thanks for the pics.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    That's pretty much how I remember it...been a long time ago.

Thanks for the pics.
    As far as I remember it...almost all the players on SDF had some input into the knife...the thread was huge and PM were always being sent to her.

She also had major input from some master machinists & cad/cam experts on other forums .

The HAK really is semi-complicated design...that took a lot of minds to bring to fruition.

I really think its total BS that she was so rude to people like Brock and strider ...as without them and many others their never would have been a HAK.

Administrator
    Good additions. Thanks.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

i like my HAK a lot.i attach the scabbard to my shoe laces and no one ever notices that its there.i can pull it out of the scabbard fast and quietly.you can hide them a lot of places,its very sharp and i can even type while i have it on my hand.i also think w/alwilliam that it is a last ditch weapon.
    also i bought mine about a yr ago a utility model tiger claw it cost 90 dollars and took a month to get to me but it was worth it.if you buy one shrugs get the handle wraped w/paracord by them.its more comfortable..
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links