HideAwayKnife - Page 3

HideAwayKnife

This is a discussion on HideAwayKnife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; some good additions the main thing that caught my interest in this knife were the carry options in my original post, but looking at that ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HideAwayKnife

some good additions

the main thing that caught my interest in this knife were the carry options in my original post, but looking at that small TDI knife, I might get one of those first and see how it is

Quote Originally Posted by Shrugs View Post
    some good additions

the main thing that caught my interest in this knife were the carry options in my original post, but looking at that small TDI knife, I might get one of those first and see how it is
    I found the small TDI blade to be "to small" & thin.

Quote Originally Posted by ALWILLIAM View Post
    I found the small TDI blade to be "to small" & thin.
    i agree they are pretty flimsy.i have one that i just keep in my car to open packages with.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

hmm..

anyone have a pic of both TDIs side by side to compare ?

no, but im talking about the smallest one they make shrugs.its pretty much like a razor blade w/handle,its that thin.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Well, I ordered one of the ones in-stock Monday, and have yet to hear anything about it. Supposedly, she waits a couple of days before requesting payment, but I was kind of hoping for a quicker turn-around. :-/
    Ordered an in stock knife in August... 2007, yesterday got an email that is was ready.
    Decided to pass on it, the novelty is long gone for me.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by levi333 View Post
    Ordered an in stock knife in August... 2007, yesterday got an email that is was ready.
    Decided to pass on it, the novelty is long gone for me.
    Funny you should post today - I just picked mine up from the post office.

I got a bare-bones 440C Tiger Claw that they already had made and ready to go (and it still took 3 weeks to make it to my door). Getting one custom made would take considerably longer, I'm sure.

First impressions: not a bad little knife. It's gonna take some getting used to, but it fits just fine and it's small enough to put anywhere. We shall see - if I'm still carrying it in six months, I'll consider it a successful experiment.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

A couple of hak wallet sheaths ..I will be reviewing them both very soon.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    i agree they are pretty flimsy.i have one that i just keep in my car to open packages with.
    I just put some para-cord on the handle of mine; changes the grip dramatically. I now have it attached via velcro onto my SmartCarry. Works fine.

The other day I wanted to see how well it performed on a watermellon since my friend was hacking at it with a kitchen knife; one slice was devastating, I could not believe it. If it were not for the length of the blade, the watermellon would be in half. I'd hate to see what it would do on a person.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I find it a little funny how many people are saying they only use them for utility and letter-opening, etc. Maybe I'm just not used to mine, but I've found it actually kind of awkward to use for precise utility cutting. Precise cutting requires gripping the knife with the forward knuckle of the index finger for fine control over the blade. This is next to impossible with a HAK because without sliding it up to the base of your fingers, it wobbles around and is hard to keep steady. I found myself gripping the handle like a normal knife instead of through the handle just to get a little bit more control over the blade, and almost cut myself this way several times.

In contrast, with the knife tucked snugly over the first joint on my fingers, it's solid as a rock. I won't be opening any letter with it like this, but I've got plenty of gross motor skills with this grip to put the blade anywhere I want it on a person. At least for me, it's very intuitive to use this way.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

this one looks like the hak, what do you people think?

A.G. Russell Sting & Ringers

the ringer ones.

Trying to deploy that as intended (a finger in each of the finger-holes) under any type of pressure is going to be very difficult.

There are better designs out there...wouldn't waste my time or $ with that one.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

To HAK or NOT to HAK..that's the question

Glad to see some user input on the HAKs. Have NEVER seen one in person, but the concept seems sound. I guess you pack a "regular" pocket clip knife(like most of us do already) for utility work and the HAK becomes the BUK(Back-Up Knife)!!! Now that I'm retired I want to keep my street kit KISS..Gun,extra ammo, flashlight and knife. The HAK should fit that bill. I'll have to try and see one. GOOD THREAD GUYS!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member
    Good thread. So I bought a TDI last month. Maybe it's a different model but this blade is far from flimsy. $70+ for a HAK? That spoiled me right there. My biggest gripe with the TDI are the skinny loop holes to hold the sheath. It is almost impossible to get my Wilderness belt through it. Any suggestions? I wish it had the Kydex clip like my Spyderco Street Beat.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    My biggest gripe with the TDI are the skinny loop holes to hold the sheath. It is almost impossible to get my Wilderness belt through it. Any suggestions? I wish it had the Kydex clip like my Spyderco Street Beat.
    I stuck a piece of velcro to the back of mine, and a matching piece on the inside of my belt. Works just fine, and it's easy to draw.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links