Defend yourself on a plane

This is a discussion on Defend yourself on a plane within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Saturday I took a wonderful defensive pistol I class at Tac2 Doc (the instructor) mentioned a few ways that you can defend yourself on an ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Defend yourself on a plane

Lightbulb Defend yourself on a plane

Saturday I took a wonderful defensive pistol I class at Tac2
    Doc (the instructor) mentioned a few ways that you can defend yourself on an airplane, where things like guns and knives are not allowed. I would like to know your ideas. Here are his:

1. If you are experianced in disarming, martial arts, etc- kydex gloves/armsleeves. Easy to disarm someone with a boxcutter or other small sharp object with those (and if you don't have disarming training, you should! I'm looking forward to taking that class)

2. a pair of tube socks. once you are past security, buy a can of pop or someting else that size thats heavy. Or when the flight attendent asks you for a drink, ask for a coke upopened for later. Seen the movie "langoliers"? A heavyish object in a tube sock can do a LOT of damage

3. objects such as pens

4. look around you! one is almost always within arms reach of some kind of weapon. break off the tray in front of you and you will get a nice sharp object.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

2. Remove Ads

I actually have a tool that is used to remove the bezel of a laptop, so I can remove the keyboard to work on them. It is a hard plastic stick with a pointed end and the other is flat (for actually lifting the keyboard). I figure if SHTF I can access it, otherwise it stays where I put it. Since it is a tool for my job I figure I am OK, and since I am not going to do anything stupid, I am OK still.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Not to forget magazines and newspaper, keys, credit card (if you have already prepared one), etc..........your brain.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I remember a story of a knucklehead that got out of control on a Southwest Airlines fight, when they landed the Air Marshall found him tied to the seat with a couple dozen neck ties, and all the business men on board were without theirs somehow. I sure wish they had taken a picture.

There was another one on a SW Airline where some guy tried to storm the cockpit and got kicked to death. Funny thing is none of the passengers saw what happened when asked by the authorities.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    And lets not forget about those elbows that Mrs. Olsteen can throw.....
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    i carry a cheap bic . You know the one that you take the cap off of to use it . My pen will beat a box cutter . maby two or more before it breaks . however as allways the pen is mightier than the sword , unless and untill someone can " run a sword " .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Sharpie markers and flashlights...simple, innocuous, and effective. I don't see the need to get too exotic with the stuff you carry when either of these can be carried on your person ready for immediate use.
    A sturdy pair of shoes/boots isn't a bad idea either.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Defend yourself on a plane

This past March I took my wife to Europe. All the while I carried a Cold Steel City Stick,with the pistol grip. Only time I was questioned was in Germany. Airport Police stated that it could be used as a weapon. I answered, so can a sock with a bar of soap in it. I was on my way without any more questions. It helped that I have had both knees replaced and I did need a walking stick. I also caried a couple of good quality writing pens in my Maxpedition Jumbo pack as backup.I never felt I was unarmed while on the plane. The streets of Paris and Rome at night are another story.

i went from philly to las vegas last year around this time . two middle eastern men were freaking me out . if a stewardess opened the cockpit door they would both get up and point and talk in arabic. My wife was asleep and i had a constant adrenaline rush the entire flight . Not because they were arab , just the whole vibe they were giving off . In my head i said "im going to have to kill these two".

My wife and i were sharing a blanket . i took both of my shoelaces out of my shoes , put one in my back pocket with the intention of using it as a pair of restraints and i was going to use the other one as a Garrote . I was scared ******** these guys were going to do something so much so i moved to the vacant seat behind them .

plane landed fine and my wife later told me they were ****** a stewardes spilled a drink on the both of them . But yeah in my head i was trying to think of every thing around me to use as a weapon.

On a plane I have a Rotring pen for pressure points or stabbing and an Instructor belt to swing like mad.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I have thought about all the above plus the seat belts will easily unclip for the seats. You think a can of coke would hurt? Image a seat belt buckle being swung by the belt. Also I have thought about making a shooting weapon out of the CO2 cartridge used by the life preserver? Nobody thought about that.

Shhh, y'all quit giving the TSA more things to ban.

Quote Originally Posted by houndawg75 View Post
    Shhh, y'all quit giving the TSA more things to ban.
    The ones setting policy don't need our help. All of these things are uber-obvious to anyone in security. Mentioning the obvious doesn't "give" any ideas to folks who already know.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sharpened pencils are good. #2 are okay, but the really hard drawing pencils are better. Tightly rolled magazine...even newspaper.

Disarms are great to learn, but the have to be practiced regularly, with a variety of different people. Learning some knife/gun disarms once in a seminar or something will likely increase your chances of getting shot or cut.

Many times, disarms are incidental, if not accidental. DON'T train like this.

Unfortunately, that's kind of the mentality of the training: the attack will come THIS way, so you disarm THIS way. Then, reality rears its ugly head.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The ones setting policy don't need our help. All of these things are uber-obvious to anyone in security. Mentioning the obvious doesn't "give" any ideas to folks who already know.

You may be right, but then again you may be giving the bureaucratic genuises a little more credit than they deserve. I don't really trust the compentancy level of most government departments. I spent enough time working for Uncle Sam to come to the sad realization that our country is defended by the lowest bidder.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links