What I carry when I can't!

This is a discussion on What I carry when I can't! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually don't carry a knife with me as backup, but at the times that I do I have a S&W bullseye [a really nifty ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I carry when I can't!

I usually don't carry a knife with me as backup, but at the times that I do I have a S&W bullseye [a really nifty knife]. Still as a student at a major university I am unable to carry any of the time I'm on school property.

This makes me uncomfortable.

I found a solution;

This lil S&W I found today. It's only a few inches long [within legal standard for carrying w/o a ccw or in pistol free zones] but still razor sharp. I love the titanium camo on the whole thing too! Now of course I still couldn't get away with this baby on an airplane, but at least I still have something on those few occasions I'm not strapped.

Anyone else have this knife?

S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

I'm not a big fan of the S&W knives, particularly the SWAT line, in my experience, the quality is pretty poor. That said, the $20 knife in your hand is better than the $200 knife you don't have with you.

As far as tools for when you "can't" carry, you might consider a flashlight or sturdy pen (or both ) for use as an impact weapon. These items won't be classified as weapons by the idiots who make the regulations but are still devastating when used properly.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Lead Moderator
    a good surefire with the toothed bezel would make a good blinding weapon,as well as for strikes.

Anyone else have this knife?
    I had one. I think I gave it away. Mine was black.

When Im in a place where I cant carry a handgun. I pack a kuboton, a waved Delica, and a Surefire.

Lead Moderator
    I usually carry pepper spray ,an assortment of knives a light and such daily, same if I have my gun or not.

I always have at least 2 knives on me, leatherman and the other varies, sometimes I have as many as 5 knives, depends on what I'm doing. If I can't carry knives or gun, I have my cane( I'm old enough now that it doesn't look out of place) I can carry it onto airplanes and into courtrooms.

I have the same S&W in black with a Tanto blade, also mine is an automatic. I have since upgraded to a Benchmade auto because I got tired of sharpening the S&W every other day. The safety on the S&W is plastic and does not work well, had a couple near misses with the jewels when it opened in my pocket. The Benchmade has a positive metal safety that locks the auto mechanism while closed or open. I paid $50.00 for the S&W new, it now rests in my tool box. I absolutely love the BM, only had to sharpen once in the 3 months I've owned it.
    Pershing SIR!!

Not my cup of tea, S&W folders. On only time I can not carry is in the county court house, I carry a folder which can not enter the court house but they will place it in a locked area till I exit. My firearms remain in my car's safe which is bolted to 1/4 aluminum plate until I exit the court house.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

See the recent threads on "Stingers" too....

I have my cane( I'm old enough now that it doesn't look out of place)
    Im so jealous. Have fun with your retirement, you earned it!!

I honestly cant wait till Im older! I plan on having a house exactly 500ft (or whatever the legal shooting distance of a residence is) from my neighbor. At 6:30a.m. I will practice with my firearms, until I tick my neighbors off. Then I will get some breakfast at my local diner. I will pass cars rushing to work, just to slow down 5-10mph under what they were originally driving. I will know exactly what to complain about before I even order my usual breakfast. I have around 30 years to plan the rest of my retirement .

Administrator

My Opinion

If you buy a knife in that price range and don't start digging bullets out of trees with it..or use it as a prybar...& just pack it for a possible future event to save yer sweet hide it sure will serve you just fine.
    I've handled only one of the S&W SWAT line knives & that particular one was a bit over~tight.
    It was workable though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    This is a bit off topic, but I thought it fits here.
    As I have said before, in my line of work, I regularly have to go to places where I am required by law to disarm, AKA hospitals, government buildings, etc. Among my favorite backups are, an innocuous looking utility knife with disposable blades, that looks like a pocket knife. It wouldnt make a very good stabbing weapon, but is sharp and can be deployed very rapidly. I also have a short, flat, prybar I used on almost every job. I use it to lift, pry,as a doorstop while I am packing things in and out, of an area, and I keep one end sharp so I can use it as a chisel, etc. If need be, it would make a nasty close quarters weapon.
    Granted, I would much rather have a firearm and a better knife, but when that is not legal I consider this a good legal compromise. Since both are tools, I have a legitimate reason to have them with me at work, and I need them both quite regularly in the course of my day. I have infact been cleared, to work on equipment in secure locations, on many occasions without so much as a second glance from security at them. They are after all only tools.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but it would be interesting what others fall back on when the law prohibits carry.
    Maybe I need to start another legal/improvised weapon thread. LOL!

Quote:
    GoodSamaritan
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but it would be interesting what others fall back on when the law prohibits carry.
    Maybe I need to start another legal/improvised weapon thread. LOL!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
    Both my wife and I hold our auto keys in exactly the same fashion: Butt against the palm, key between the fingers while making a fist around it. Same result, ONLY: Legal Anywhere (except maybe a prison or somesuch). The newer card keys usually have the large plastic "knob" end with the remote electronics built in, so its easy to grip. Not perfect, but it's better than a rock...Stab, then pull and slash through puncture wound. Really too close for me.

Quote:
    Posted by Rob72
    I have three "dud" keys with the plastic butt, with lightly filed tips......

As simple as something in your pocket....

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I have three "dud" keys with the plastic butt, with lightly filed tips......
    Actually I have thought about slightly sharpening a key or two for that very purpose, but like many things I havent gotten around to it.

Get yourself a nice steel pen from a discount store. It makes a very good thrusting weapon, and no security guard is going to take it away from you. I got one as a promotional item from a salesmen, and it has been with me for about three years. I haven't stabbed anyone with it, but it would make a decent weapon in a pinch, I think.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links