Very happy with my new knife...Kershaw Blackout.

This is a discussion on Very happy with my new knife...Kershaw Blackout. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Purchased off Midway USA for $53.99 I wanted a reasonably light assisted opener with a large enough blade to do some damage if necessary while ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very happy with my new knife...Kershaw Blackout.

Purchased off Midway USA for $53.99

I wanted a reasonably light assisted opener with a large enough blade to do some damage if necessary while I await my CCW license in the mail...and I was rewarded well with this knife.

I promptly removed the pocket clip as it has no problem staying in position inside my cargo short pockets or even work pants oddly enough. It opens and it opens FAST. I can have the blade open before it even gets completely out of pocket. Blade is very sharp as well. The textured surface gives some good traction too.

I'm not an expert by any stretch but this is one purchase I've been happy with. Good stuff from Kershaw .

I would advise putting the pocket clip back on. You don't know if it will continue to "stay in place" if you're in the middle of a fight. That's also not the time you want to be fumbling around trying to get a hold of it and then trying (and trying...) to open it. You will be fumbling around...even the moderate amount of stress induced by decent training is enough to make people's manipulation go all to crap.

just my $0.02
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

1943 - 2009
    I can have the blade open before it even gets completely out of pocket.
    I don't think this is such a good idea.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Well I guess I shouldn't have even posted anything.

Oh well, it's a fine knife and works excellent for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    Well I guess I shouldn't have even posted anything.

Oh well, it's a fine knife and works excellent for me.
    Lighten up a little there fella'...I've learned a lot from the guys here.
    I don't believe anyone wants to criticize you, just offering some suggestions.
    I've received suggestions from time to time...some I buy, some I ignore...the idea is to GROW.

By the way, I have several Kershaws...and I wouldn't take off the clip either...OMO!

Take care...

Stay armed...look, learn, tell and listen...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    I like my Kershaw Blur, its similar to the black out and seems to work well for me.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Looks like a nice knife. Glad to hear you've been practicing using it. It's just like having a gun. If you practice w/ it enough you should be prepared to use it in a stressful situation.

If you're comfortable w/ it then good. Like the other poster said, these are good suggestions. It's up to you to determine what makes you comfortable using it.

I got a little auto knife too. I'm thinking of getting a fixed blade now for my weak side.

I decided to give the pocket clip a second chance and throw it back on, only to remember why I had taken it off in the first place. When used on the right side of your body it stores away with the blade pointing "up" so to speak.

It's much easier for me to pull out quickly and deploy with the blade pointed "down". The pocket clip is essentially on the wrong end of the knife.

Lead Moderator
    Hmm, my Blur places the blade pointed up while closed in my pocket. maybe a small belt holder might help to orient the knife the correct position for you needs?
    (BTW , nice bike)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    I decided to give the pocket clip a second chance and throw it back on, only to remember why I had taken it off in the first place. When used on the right side of your body it stores away with the blade pointing "up" so to speak.

It's much easier for me to pull out quickly and deploy with the blade pointed "down". The pocket clip is essentially on the wrong end of the knife.
    I'll preface this by saying I personally prefer "tip up" carry; even without a waved-folder I feel that it's faster, and more importantly, more secure/reliable/consistent.

So, can you describe or post a pic of how you're deploying the knife (how are you grabbing it, etc.) when it's clipped to the pocket and describe what it is that's giving you problems?

I ask because I hate to see people forming bad habits regarding their carry choices. Trust me, you are not going to be able to reliably and consistently deploy a knife that you have to fish out of your pocket if you ever find yourself in a fight. Lot's of techniques and methods that people think will work go straight out the window when they're getting hit in the face (even if it's just by a partner wearing boxing gloves who is providing a somewhat realistic level of pressure and aggression).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Hmm, my Blur places the blade pointed up while closed in my pocket. maybe a small belt holder might help to orient the knife the correct position for you needs?
    (BTW , nice bike)

I didn't do a very good job of describing it, the blade is pointed down while closed using the clip.

If it was open the blade would be pointed up.

(not an actual picture of me but it is the same bike , thanks)

gotcha...if you don't like the way it's oriented, you're pretty much stuck with the choice of either having it tapped so you can reverse the clip, or taking it back/selling it and buying something else.

Matt K.

I've had knives that had clips on either side. It takes a little while to get used to it if you get one that changes from your previous knife, but after a while you will get used to it.

I personally can't stand having a knife that doesn't have a pocket clip on it.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

I've kept the clip on the knife and use it on an everyday basis at work so it doesn't slip out of my pocket (I'm on my back rolling around a lot of the day) and it has been "OK"...draw is slower though.

Still on the weekends when I'm out it has stayed in the pocket with no clip usage...in place.

I guess I still fail to see how a knife that is clipped to the pocket can possibly be slower to deploy than one that is down in the pocket...unless we have different definitions of what constitutes "speed."

Matt K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links